Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: One Row project  (Read 1551 times)

Graham W

• Respected Sage
One Row project
« on: January 14, 2020, 12:56:49 PM »

I've been talking about making a melodeon for a long time, and took advantage of the recent foul weather to finally get on in the workshop and finish it.
Plan A was originally to make a 2 1/2 row, but in the event it felt sensible to make something rather simpler and learn lessons along the way!

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
Re: One Row project
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 01:24:27 PM »

Looks great. Let's hear it, and see internal pics, please.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 02:01:54 PM »

That looks superb Graham. I hope you made a photo blog to show the developing construction as I can see one or two intriguing bits of design, and no doubt there are other elements inside that are of interest too. So when do you go into production?  ;)
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Tiposx

• Durham in England
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 03:22:51 PM »

I really like it - superbly crafted.

Graham W

• Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 04:38:07 PM »

OK, so I'm no one row player, but here's an idea of what it sounds like:  https://soundcloud.com/user-925932398/one-row-sample

I was rather remiss on the photo front (and certainly no blog I'm afraid!), but it's based around Hohner 114D reeds and blocks which I brought (new) on a whim a long time ago.

I was keen not to simply make a clone of other 1 rows, but to experiment with features I like  -  in particular fairly clean looking casework with nice wood and without too many fiddly bits, a nice tactile grooved keyboard, and getting the action as smooth and responsive as possible.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 04:44:14 PM »

Bravo! Looks lovely and sounds great.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 05:04:09 PM »

Well done! Great sound and lovely looking box!
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 05:47:26 PM »

That's a better sounding box than I was expecting - only because you've been so modest about this, no weekly update etc. The box does look lovely, and sounds punchy. I'd be interested to know what you did that is different to other boxes.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Peadar

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 07:45:42 PM »

Looks and sounds beautiful.
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

mselic

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 07:50:10 PM »

Love it! My plan to eventually build also revolved around the idea of modelling it after the HA114. Love the pinned bellows frames and angled keyboard! Well done!
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

mselic

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2020, 11:11:56 PM »

More pictures, please! Did you make the metal keyboard assembly yourself or use an existing part?
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

george garside

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2020, 11:27:38 PM »

definitely 12 out of 10!  and the Norton looks rather nice!

george  (one row, DG. BC, BCC# velocette and honda!)
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Tiposx

• Durham in England
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2020, 11:27:59 PM »

Sounds great as well. Did you fabricate your own treble mechanism?

Graham W

• Respected Sage
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2020, 01:35:54 PM »

Thanks for all the kind words!
There's nothing very radical about it really. It has a voice all of its own which I'm pleased about, and while there is room for endless debate about the interaction of different
materials and components in a box, a couple of points which might contribute here are that the casework is mostly Walnut (Because I like the appearance and its lovely to work with) so quite dense and close grained.
The reed blocks are also clamped in on Olovisc gaskets rather than glued to the fondo. As a first attempt I simply wanted to be able to take everything apart to experiment and rejig bits if necessary (And I already had these blocks). Next time I would probably glue in a conventional central upright block and two flat reed pans with aluminium slides built into the fondo.
I wonder if the keyboard construction has any affect?  A conventional wooden keyboard mechanism is quite a substantial assembly whereas with the aluminium mechanism the keyboard has a largish mostly empty internal volume with a relatively thin panel top and bottom.
The Bass box is pretty conventional Cajun box style construction - albeit with coil springs instead of hair springs for the pallets.

Its been in gestation a long time. It very quickly became apparent that while the engineering required in wood and metal to make a 'melodeon shaped object'  was fairly familiar territory, there was a huge amount to learn about the interactions of the different components and materials that goes to (hopefully) turn that object into a nice instrument. . . . mostly about reeds and tuning. That is a major, and ongoing, learning and skill honing task.
Thanks particularly to Theo and Rees, who have both been very patient with questions at various times over the last few years.

I'm not planning on going into production!  That said it has been fascinating and rewarding to do, and there is another set or two of nice reeds sitting in the workshop ;)

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2020, 02:04:33 PM »

Nice! Looks and sounds great.
I like the walnut and clean look. What did you use for a finish?

I’m working on one and thinking about what to use for a finish.
I’m not even close to being finished, but as you know some things need a finish before assembly.
This is very inspirational and I can only hope mine turns out as nice.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Graham W

• Respected Sage
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2020, 03:09:06 PM »

As for the treble mechanism . .  It started life as a 2 1/2 row mechanism from a Slovenian company - again, used because I already happened to have it.  It perhaps isn't ideal for a one row, not least as the spacing of the axle supports doesn't quite suit the button and reed spacing - hence the couple of levers with a slight offset crank visible.
It does however use an accurately dimensioned polished stainless axle and chunky brass bushes so can be set up to give a really silky smooth and precise feel.
I spent quite some time experimenting with dimensions to get a happy compromise between lever length, button travel, spring tension and sufficient pallet lift, before cutting and shaping the levers to suit and profiling the ends to fit the pistons.  Springs and spacers, pallets etc  are home made.

(Incidentally - does anyone know how the ends of levers are profiled to fit the pistons in a commercial setting when there might be lots to do and many might be bent to suit a multi row keyboard?
I did these individually on the mill, but there has to be a quicker way!)

My aspiration is to make my own mechanics, but that's either a huge amount of time by old school methods or getting to grips with cnc -  so isn't likely to happen very soon.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2020, 03:14:02 PM »

Graham,

I am full of admiration for your work. I notice that on your earlier photo, all the screw head slots which secure the keyboard top cover plate are all aligned in the same direction. It might seem a trivial thing, but to me, that is a mark of a true craftsman.  :|glug
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Graham W

• Respected Sage
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2020, 03:17:37 PM »

I like the walnut and clean look. What did you use for a finish?

Osmo 'Top Oil' satin finish. 
I'm quite a fan of this for all sorts of things -  it's natural based,  brings out the wood beautifully while being quick and easy to use, and is extremely hard wearing.
I sand down to 320 grit, de dust,  and use 2 - 4 thin coats which gives a lovely smooth finish.

diatonix

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2020, 03:19:44 PM »

Nice job! But allow me to suggest that you make rectangular holes in your next "fondo".

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2020, 04:02:58 PM »

Nice work Graham. Oddly enough I'm currently making a walnut one with red ends.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal