Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Usual keys in Brittany  (Read 1432 times)

Joan Kureczka

• Regular debater
Usual keys in Brittany
« on: January 15, 2020, 04:08:06 PM »

I am considering a music trip to Brittany that's going to happen in September, and was reassured there would be opportunities to join some sessions. Should I plan to take my 2.5 row CG box or will the  row GD, my very well traveled box, be okay?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 04:09:53 PM by Joan Kureczka »
MAD: Oakwood Baffetti Super II, Loffet Pro, Oakwood 3-voice, Castagnari Sander, Salterelle Pastourelle II, Smythe "Flea," and a crazy blinged up Pokerwork

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
Re: Usual keys in Brittany
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 04:18:55 PM »

Have a word with Dave Jolly http://www.jollybox.co.uk/
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

Andrel

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 06:20:29 PM »

G/C, most definitely. By far the most popular system on the peninsula.
Bertrand Gaillard D/C#, Acadian in C, Castagnari Ciacy
B/C, Castagnari Sharon D/C#

Joan Kureczka

• Regular debater
Re: Usual keys in Brittany... And commonly heard session tunes?
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 02:10:17 AM »

And how about suggestions of some tunes I might run into at sessions? My current Breton repertoire is limited to Theme Vannitaise and Andro Kerfanc, so I wouldn't mind learning a few more, whether or not we do the trip this fall.
MAD: Oakwood Baffetti Super II, Loffet Pro, Oakwood 3-voice, Castagnari Sander, Salterelle Pastourelle II, Smythe "Flea," and a crazy blinged up Pokerwork

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: Usual keys in Brittany... And commonly heard session tunes?
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 09:42:20 AM »

And how about suggestions of some tunes I might run into at sessions? My current Breton repertoire is limited to Theme Vannitaise and Andro Kerfanc, so I wouldn't mind learning a few more, whether or not we do the trip this fall.

There was a very useful discussion on this on the session, many years ago: https://thesession.org/discussions/4405
There are loads of links. Some of them are still live.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 06:34:06 PM »

Hi Joan

You'll find plenty of Breton dance and song tunes (plus many others)on the late Bernard Loffet's site - http://diato.org/tablat.htm#tab2-2 . Annoyingly the site tries to play a midi file when you load it, just ignore the file download request.
Most of the tunes have midi, as well as Dots/Tab and ABC so you can listen and get a feel for the different Breton dance styles. Worth also looking on YouTube.

Unfortunately your question is as broad as asking for typical Irish session tunes - the answer will vary from place to place!
It will be a good time to practise your skills at busking along to tunes on your GC box  (:)

If you are being hosted by Breton musicians then I'd ask them for their suggestions.
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 01:30:12 PM »

The group I stayed with 12 years ago, based near Ile Grande, played in Bb, Eb and Cm.  Bombarde and bagpipe keys
  _       _    _      _ 

Joan Kureczka

• Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 01:37:44 AM »

Hi Joan

You'll find plenty of Breton dance and song tunes (plus many others)on the late Bernard Loffet's site - http://diato.org/tablat.htm#tab2-2 . Annoyingly the site tries to play a midi file when you load it, just ignore the file download request.
Most of the tunes have midi, as well as Dots/Tab and ABC so you can listen and get a feel for the different Breton dance styles. Worth also looking on YouTube.

Unfortunately your question is as broad as asking for typical Irish session tunes - the answer will vary from place to place!
It will be a good time to practise your skills at busking along to tunes on your GC box  (:)

If you are being hosted by Breton musicians then I'd ask them for their suggestions.

Thanks. We sort of are, although I don't know any of them yet!  I and a few others have been after Nancy Covey to organize a (mostly) music trip to Brittany for at least 10 years. She's finally doing it this year, and told me last week there will be plenty of opportunity to participate in sessions -- and that her contacts there are happy that we're interested in doing so.

https://www.festival-tours.com/brittany-2020

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal