Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Box disposal?  (Read 3587 times)

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
Box disposal?
« on: January 16, 2020, 07:10:05 PM »

Well I was feeling a bit off colour and a friend observed that I'm no spring chicken so it got me thinking.  When my body finally realises that the brain gave up years ago, what will happen to my instruments?  Now my only close relative is my brother who is a classical musician (woodwind) and he doesn't rate any of my collection at all so I don't want him selling them to a "music shop" for a fiver.  To be honest amongst my friends and acquaintances I can't think of many who would improve their playing by having a better box so even if I gave one to a friend that leaves a selection of Castagnaries, a Dino Binci, Hohners, etc for disposal.

Ideally they should go FOC to someone who will do them proud (better than I have!).   I guess that means appointing a person who doesn't need them to distribute them as and when a deserving soul shows up.  Has anyone any thoughts on the best way to re-home the collection when the day comes?

Rob.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Box disposal?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 07:16:39 PM »

I have done this for an ex-member on melnet, since he knew his day was approaching he asked me to dispose of the boxes for his wife who would not know where to start. I bought a couple and sold the rest on melnet, but they were only cheapy Hohners, guess it would be more difficult with boxes that have serious value.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 07:28:24 PM »

Or offer them to a teaching organisation for example Halsway Manor, or East Anglian Trad Music Trust, and I’m sure there are many more.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 07:59:06 PM »

I too have pondered what my partner will do with my Hohnerama, My first thought was to tell her to contact Theo, (as he is my nearest suitable person) and arrange for him to sell them. Can't afford to donate them,, we're not that well off.

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 08:04:53 PM »

Donating to an organisation is good, but giving it for free to a person can be a bit of an issue.
I got a piano accordion given to me before I started with the melodeon. As I'm not playing it, my options of getting rid of it are quite limited, I can't sell and I can't just give it away to someone who will. The box is not in good enough shape to be donated to an organisation but also not in a bad enough shape to justify cannibalisation.
So at the moment, I'm just stuck with a PA.
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 08:26:43 PM »

"I'm just stuck with a PA."

Just as long as you keep it separate form the melodeons, it should be OK! Don't want any infection spreading, do we?
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 08:58:47 PM »

This is food for thought. I think donating instruments to a folk music trust of some kind would be good - if need be the instruments could be sold on to raise money, but even better if they could be used by aspiring young musicians.
This is just blue sky thinking on my part (possibly the product of the odd glass!), but would there be any mileage in setting up a Melodeon specific trust ?

Julian
Old Bones Dance Band

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 09:29:04 PM »

Ideally they should go FOC to someone who will do them proud (better than I have!).   
If you're happy to see them off free of charge; donate them to a school, or a charity.

To be honest amongst my friends and acquaintances I can't think of many who would improve their playing by having a better box...
I hope your friends are not reading this!

Graham Wood

• Regular debater
  • Old Fumble Fingers
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 09:33:40 PM »

It's sad but true that we all eventually have to be pragmatic about where the future lies and I applaud you for giving thought to this.

For instruments that are useable but have no real value then I would be looking at local schools for donation. Not every kid want's to play guitar. For more valuable instruments then I personally would be looking at the beneficiaries of my estate to try and realise the monetary value. I'm guessing that shops or trustworthy retailers who would sell on a commission basis would be worth exploring.

I have 7 guitars a few of which I would donate and the rest I would be looking to sell. The cream of the crop is a 1963 Gibson ES335. I would not be giving that to a school....lol. Having said that, if my grandson showed promise on guitar then my old Custom Shop Stratocaster would be something for him to remember me by.
Graham Wood - Third Planet from The Sun
Hohner Morgane B/C,   Junior Martin 1 Row in 'D' with knobs on top,   Acadian 1 Row in 'C' with more knobs on top.

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 09:36:48 PM »

"I'm just stuck with a PA."

Just as long as you keep it separate form the melodeons, it should be OK! Don't want any infection spreading, do we?
Luckily it's in my brother's flat, so no risk.
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2020, 09:37:13 PM »

As someone who has folk groups alive and well in a high school (a Ceilidh group - for want of a better term) and a Northumbrian pipes group, we do have young musicians with great potential. I'm sure there are other schools in similar situations. I'd advise having a chat with a school whilst you are well - it's too easy for instruments to be stored badly or undervalued - so a good covering letter could be drafted on how to look after the boxes.
There are also regional folk groups outside of school - there's one in Hexham (name changes with every generation, my son was in it when it was '4th Generation', but it has been called various things including a very successful year, Gigue Fish), there's also the local Ranters youth group.
Most importantly, I hope it's not for a while.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Matthew B

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2020, 09:38:59 PM »

An interesting starting point for a conversation about donating instruments to rising young musicians would be to consider how many young melodeonists there are in your community.  In some parts of world there is an infrastructure to support and encourage young musicians exploring and supporting traditional music.  Here in Maine I'd be hard pressed to find good homes for my instruments were I to try and donate them (when the time comes!).  Across the border in Quebec I'd have better luck finding folks who could make good use of them.  Likewise, in Newfoundland there seems to be a pretty lively cross-generation transfer of knowledge and interest. 
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2020, 07:57:37 AM »

Retired repairers disposing of spare parts and wrecked doner boxes is a similar issue. Too good for the tip; not worth the cost of shipping.
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Frank Pallister

• Good talker
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2020, 02:28:42 PM »

i would volunteer Pete Ward of Acorn music he has some experience of doing this sort of thing and is always helpful,  well worth getting in touch

hickory-wind

• Lives in NY USA near the Erie Canal
    • Bellingers' Button Boxes
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2020, 02:51:55 PM »

Can always be used to warm someone's toes for a bit;)

too many boxes...please buy one, or two, or

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2020, 06:17:27 PM »

I've pondered this as well, and reached the conclusion that I should just leave my executors with a list of reputable melodeon retailers!

Unless you can gift an instrument to someone or a trust you know personally, I feel selling an instrument through a reputable dealer is the most reliable way of that instrument getting to a player who will play and appreciate it. The proceeds can then be donated to a charity if you so wish. Almost all charities prefer cash to gifts-in-kind which frequently come with conditions attached e.g. this instrument is to help a promising young player.

But that's for the future  (:)  :||: :||: :||:

Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2020, 06:42:55 PM »

I've pondered this as well, and reached the conclusion that I should just leave my executors with a list of reputable melodeon retailers!

Unless you can gift an instrument to someone or a trust you know personally, I feel selling an instrument through a reputable dealer is the most reliable way of that instrument getting to a player who will play and appreciate it. The proceeds can then be donated to a charity if you so wish. Almost all charities prefer cash to gifts-in-kind which frequently come with conditions attached e.g. this instrument is to help a promising young player.

But that's for the future  (:)  :||: :||: :||:
Of course that way means that they also go to people who can afford them- which may not be your point. If they are boxes you don't already play, perhaps you could enjoy some time seeking out young players to apply for (even audition for) a long term loan. It's probably best not to gift them entirely as you might find that they get sold to finance another venture, such as university life etc. Long term load with strings attached (maybe that they need to be insured etc.). I don't have idle boxes so that's not a consideration - perhaps you don't either.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2020, 06:54:23 PM »

Ideally they should go FOC to someone who will do them proud (better than I have!).   I guess that means appointing a person who doesn't need them to distribute them as and when a deserving soul shows up.  Has anyone any thoughts on the best way to re-home the collection when the day comes?

Rob.

I would pick up the suggestion from Playandteach in the previous post and start now to think about gradually finding new homes for your instruments while you are still of sound mind and body.  That way you get to enjoy the process yourself, you can take your time and you save work and worry for your executors.  A friend of mine who died recently did that with some instruments and I think the family found it helpful.  If you don't want to make outright gifts you can make long term loans, and put a Letter of Wishes with your Will so that your executors know what you want to happen, eg the loan to become a gift.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Phil B

• Regular debater
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2020, 07:23:37 PM »

"Long term loan and a letter of wishes with the will " sound like a great idea to me thanks Theo

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2020, 09:06:16 PM »

Difficult decisions, certainly! But you'd better watch out, Theo; you could well end up with all my junk to add to your's!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal