Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Koppangen  (Read 1250 times)

Caroline

• Regular debater
    • carolineshipsey.co.uk
Koppangen
« on: January 17, 2020, 06:55:53 AM »

This tune was shared by a friend recently https://youtu.be/euxOI7unWXQ
Can the experienced among you say whether this could be played on a two row D/G  and suggest where I might find some dots please?
Thanks

arty

Re: Koppangen
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 07:41:17 AM »

I can’t see why it wouldn’t fit on your D/G..... https://musescore.com/user/1484871/scores/5656599
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 07:55:42 AM »

Nice tune!

But as written in the key of D you would need a melodeon capable of playing the low B notes in bars 1, 2, 3, 6, 7 , 17 and 33.
On a third button start box this usually means having low notes and not accidentals, otherwise there will not be a low B. On a fourth button start box with accidentals at the chin end, you should be OK.

If you don't have the low B on the treble side, you could play the low B as a single bass B on the LH side. It might sound a bit odd to the player, but to a listener, not too bad.

Sometimes you can fudge it by changing the low B completely to another note, often the D above, but in this particular tune it would probably alter the overall character of the tune too much. But try it and see. 
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Caroline

• Regular debater
    • carolineshipsey.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 08:37:50 AM »

Nice tune!

But as written in the key of D you would need a melodeon capable of playing the low B notes in bars 1, 2, 3, 6, 7 , 17 and 33.
On a third button start box this usually means having low notes and not accidentals, otherwise there will not be a low B. On a fourth button start box with accidentals at the chin end, you should be OK.

If you don't have the low B on the treble side, you could play the low B as a single bass B on the LH side. It might sound a bit odd to the player, but to a listener, not too bad.

Sometimes you can fudge it by changing the low B completely to another note, often the D above, but in this particular tune it would probably alter the overall character of the tune too much. But try it and see.

I don't have a 4th.  button start unfortunately so don't have the low B - I'll try it with the single bass B.
I've got a G/C 4th button start, any thoughts on transposing it?  It will take me a while to get my head around it and maybe you can see any problems more quickly :)
Thanks for the dotd and to Arty too for replying.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 01:48:28 PM »

I don't have a 4th.  button start unfortunately so don't have the low B - I'll try it with the single bass B.
I've got a G/C 4th button start, any thoughts on transposing it?  It will take me a while to get my head around it and maybe you can see any problems more quickly :)
Thanks for the dots and to Arty too for replying.

It would go nicely on a G/C box played in the key of C, and based mostly on the inside C-row. The previous low B then becomes low A, which you should have as a pull note on your 4th button pull on the outside G-row of your G/C box.

I've downloaded the Musescore file from Arty's link and transposed it down a tone into the key of C. I've also removed the bowing marks, as you are not playing on a fiddle.

See attached Musescore file and also the PDF.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Caroline

• Regular debater
    • carolineshipsey.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 03:01:48 PM »

Thanks very much Steve,and Arty,  very helpful and interesting.
I’ve had a play around in C and it sounds nice, then remembered my single row D box and was hopeful of the low D but no it’s not.
All good practice and such a nice tune too:)

arty

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 03:47:51 PM »

Thank you Steve, I was going to do that this evening. It’s a nice tune  (:)
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 10:22:40 PM »

Thanks very much Steve,and Arty,  very helpful and interesting.
I’ve had a play around in C and it sounds nice, then remembered my single row D box and was hopeful of the low D but no it’s not.
All good practice and such a nice tune too:)

Nothing wrong with using a G/C box.  In such cases I think of it more in terms of inside row or outside row rather than key or pitch.  This works perfectly fine on the inside row of any standard 3rd button start box.

FYI, the whistle player in the video is Hans Frederik Jacobsen from Norway.
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 11:48:02 PM »

Nothing wrong with using a G/C box.  In such cases I think of it more in terms of inside row or outside row rather than key or pitch.
Yes, I do this too.

This works perfectly fine on the inside row of any standard 3rd button start box.
Yes, it is playable on the inside row of any fourth-apart box.

But playing the tune in the key of G on a D/G box is a bit unsatisfactory because the tune goes so high in the second half (B-music, I guess though not labelled as such). It would sound very squeaky on a two-voice MM box. Two possible solutions: (i) add the L voice if you have a 3-voice LMM box; or (ii) on a two-voice MM box, play the high section in the 'B-music' an octave lower.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

folkloristmark

• street entertainers
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2020, 08:48:23 PM »

I used to go to a session with a melodeon player who played this on a Dg with hiem accidental row its one of the tunes that got me into melodeon ,palyed right its great and  so suits dg . I have his score it was in D.My partner managed a good attempt but as yet I have failed. Just to say it seemed perfect for Dg when played by some one else but i think its a hard ask.
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

folkloristmark

• street entertainers
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2020, 09:00:07 PM »

Hope you don't mind I went to your website to see if you would be near my meloden freind mid wales I see you are west country. But what a pleasure to see a picture of Bernard who I played with for so many years. Hes gone now. but that picture of him on violin is so good. It catches his playing grimace perfect. Thank you happy days. I shed a tear.And good luck with the tune.
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

Caroline

• Regular debater
    • carolineshipsey.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2020, 08:17:06 AM »

Hope you don't mind I went to your website to see if you would be near my meloden freind mid wales I see you are west country. But what a pleasure to see a picture of Bernard who I played with for so many years. Hes gone now. but that picture of him on violin is so good. It catches his playing grimace perfect. Thank you happy days. I shed a tear.And good luck with the tune.
Thank you, its lovely to know that sometimes a fairly random photo has meaning for someone else.
Caroline
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal