Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Love it or list it?  (Read 1971 times)

Richard Shaul

• Good talker
Love it or list it?
« on: January 18, 2020, 05:18:03 PM »

I have a Hohner Viktoria Club BbEb which has great tone, but I really would like something in GC. Do I get the Viktoria converted or do I sell it and buy something else? I've been pondering this for some time but just can't decide. any advice please?

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
Re: Love it or list it?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 05:21:47 PM »

Keep the Eb/Bb because they are great keys and sound lovely.

Then buy a G/C in addition to that.

A bird never flew on one wing.

Pat McInnis

• Respected Sage
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 05:26:07 PM »

Keep the Eb/Bb because they are great keys and sound lovely.

Then buy a G/C in addition to that.

A bird never flew on one wing.

Fred, I always picture you as the shady melodeon dealer in the ally. "Hey kid, wanna buy a GC?"

If it were me and the Eb/Bb was in good tune then I would be hard pressed to re-tune it. Sell it to finance the key you want or if you can afford it then follow Fred's advice.

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 05:49:13 PM »

Fred, I always picture you as the shady melodeon dealer in the ally. "Hey kid, wanna buy a GC?"

It's not like that, I promise!  ::)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 07:04:25 PM »

I’ve met Fred and I can vouch for him. He is definitely not a dodgy dealer, though he was one half of a German/Canadian comedy duo that came to the fore at the melodeon building course this summer in France.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Peadar

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 08:26:17 PM »

My advice is don't get rid of your existing BbEb until you have got a GC box and you are happy that it is the tuning you want to be playing in for the foreseeable future.

In the mid '80's I worked for one of the Scottish Central Institutions....shortly before it became a university. The computer system was replaced....this was in the days when there where micro-computers and mainframes and VDU's displays were a tasteful monochrome shade of  green (though I did once, in Glasgow, see an orange monochrome screen). Back then  computing departments were infallible. So over the weekend they turned on the new mainframe, transferred all the data switched off the old mainframe and removed it from the building  in bits. The world duly stopped spinning on Monday morning.

So my counsel: Never scrap the established system until the new one is bedded in.

You may not like the GC as a tuning when you get one, and your BbEb may not turn out as well as you hope  with new GC reeds. The old box isn't eating any meat in the meantime.

Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 09:15:58 PM »

Of course I'd say welcome to GC land. But I had a BbEb box for a while, and because I play tunes mainly in the minor key of the inside row, the fact that the C bass was the lowest bass note was really welcome.
The dilemma is for me somewhat similar in that I'd have to sell the boxes I have to get the 3 row I want, and could well end up regretting it. In an ideal world, I'd agree with Peadar - if you can keep a box you really like in the interim, that's a lot easier than finding another one as good later on. Good luck with the journey.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 10:13:48 PM »

P&T, seeing as you're one of the forum's nicer members, perhaps someone might have a three row they could loan you, if you but asked? They're too heavy for me, so the one that I bought to try, got sold on pretty quickly.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 10:29:55 PM »

P&T, seeing as you're one of the forum's nicer members, perhaps someone might have a three row they could loan you, if you but asked? They're too heavy for me, so the one that I bought to try, got sold on pretty quickly.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Winston. I gather Steve_Freereeder also stuck a thumbs up for me recently too. Nice to know that my reputation is surviving. Thanks too, to the sellers who let me try boxes before I bought the DG - it really is the only way as I liked some but had allergic reactions to them, and others I had an instant dislike to the sound despite them being great boxes on paper.
Main problem with a loaner is the system I play, although of course now that I'm learning one rows, I might be more adaptable. Best option so far is to stick with Serafini, as that is likely to be the closest to the sound I already have, but you are right that I really do need to see what the weight is like over a period.
To keep on track with the OP (my fault), he's only considering a key change, not a radical new set up. Richard, if you really like the box, what about spare reed blocks (with reeds of course)?
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Pat McInnis

• Respected Sage
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 02:00:11 AM »

I’ve met Fred and I can vouch for him. He is definitely not a dodgy dealer, though he was one half of a German/Canadian comedy duo that came to the fore at the melodeon building course this summer in France.

Oh trust me, he's a solid cat. I wouldn't tease him if I didn't think he could take it.

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2020, 07:50:56 PM »

The Bb/Eb is right at home in the world of brass instruments. It's always good to consider probable future usefulness. I own an antique 3 row that is F#/B/E. I have never heard an explanation of what the one-time popularity of this key might have been. It's a lovely box in good order and sounds wonderful, with the old zinc reed plates. There are some solo tunes I play that fit so well. I have told myself that it's OK to have more than one box. I believe there's a clinical name for this condition... ::)

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2020, 11:53:56 PM »

"I believe there's a clinical name for this condition.."

I laughed out loud when I read that! Having been recently assured that I'm now cancer free, on reading your post my long dead Mother-In-Law came to mind as she was wont to draw a large letter "C" in the air as she silently mouthed "BIG C". The remembered vision often gave me a good laugh when I didn't know just how things would turn out, God bless her!
Mind you, although the disorder that you allude to can also be pretty serious; and also cause family problems too, I don't know of anyone who's died from it, as yet!
Thanks for the laugh, anyway.
(I love my Bb/Eb Liliput, by the way.)
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Randal Scott

• Respected Sage
  • Western USA
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2020, 05:17:22 AM »

Well I have a GC pokerwork I never play since adopting club box.  I'd be happy to trade if you like.  I'm always willing to take on another club for knock around.

Richard Shaul

• Good talker
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2020, 08:15:15 PM »

Hi Catty, although that's a tempting idea, as I'm in England I suspect the logistics may be an issue. Also, my Viktoria is de-clubbed on the treble side so may not be to your liking?

folkloristmark

• street entertainers
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2020, 08:33:05 PM »

You only need to put two piano reeds back in.Sorted
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

Randal Scott

• Respected Sage
  • Western USA
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2020, 04:15:07 AM »

Ah you lucky fellow!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal