Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Decisions Decisions  (Read 1408 times)

Pat McInnis

• Respected Sage
Decisions Decisions
« on: January 19, 2020, 02:12:39 AM »

So I have this lovely ClubII that i scored from one of our esteemed members. I don't think it's overly collectible or anything, so I'm not married to keeping it original or Club system at all. I'm dying to dig in and make this box a player but not entirely sure what direction to go. I could keep it as a CF and de-club it. Or go a completely different direction. I play C#D and my buddy plays BC and in case you haven't already guessed it, we mostly play ITM. I wondered if Eb/Bb could be tuned from CF? Basses aside. I'm open to suggestions and advice before I dig in.

IMG_9929 by Pat McInnis, on Flickr

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
Re: Decisions Decisions
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 04:40:58 AM »

I assume that you meant Bb/Eb. Only two semitones down from C/F, which is quite feasible, depending on the condition of the reeds. Rather than flattening by filing, careful application of solder to the face of the reed tips might be my preferred option, though response speed might suffer by a few nano-seconds. However, done carefully by an experienced tuner, it should work out well.
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 07:26:14 AM »

This will probably have really nice reeds in it, so in my personal opinion it would be a pity to mess around too much with them. De-clubbing is one thing but it is quite another to retune it into Bb/Eb and risk spoiling the response, as Malcolm has hinted at. Yes, it could be done but my instinct is to leave it as it is (other than de-clubbing). If you want a Bb/Eb box, better to get one originally tuned as such. They are out there. Theo has one for sale here.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

WestOz

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 08:13:15 AM »

Castagnari Dony, DB Oakwood, Hohner Pressedwood,Liliput,Preciosa,Octoput,etc.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 11:12:51 AM »

Or have a look at this glorious sounding three voice BbEb.  Reasonably priced too!

Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 12:19:17 PM »

Why is Bb/Eb more of interest to you if it's for playing ITM alongside your semitone boxes?

Mark Leue

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 12:33:09 PM »

While we're on the subject, is declubbing a IIIb a lost cause because of the shared reed set up on the bass side?

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 12:47:47 PM »

So I have this lovely ClubII that i scored from one of our esteemed members.

I have a box that fits that description, and I've kept it in C/F and in Club tuning and I love it to bits.
Don't dismiss the Club system until you've tried it and explored its potential.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 03:05:06 PM »

So I have this lovely ClubII that i scored from one of our esteemed members.

I have a box that fits that description, and I've kept it in C/F and in Club tuning and I love it to bits.
Don't dismiss the Club system until you've tried it and explored its potential.

I'll second this!!
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 03:31:54 PM »

I've had and still have a few older Hohner boxes and their reeds are of significantly better quality than anything they use in melodeons nowadays.  I had one "car crash" Preciosa rebuilt and retuned from CF to DG which allows minimal re-pitching of individual reeds so the quality isn't completely lost.  Sadly I didn't really like the result as the instrument has a harsher/shriller tone with its flat mounted treble reeds and light, thin basses, especially in the highest pitch tuning!  The normal size or bigger Clubs though have a great sound and I haven't really wished to retune one to DG yet.

A full reed overhaul should make your Club II a lovely sounding and surprisingly responsive box.  I'd be inclined to do this and then see how you get on with it as it is.  Of course, without wracking my brains for weeks in the hope of finding a way to rearrange the reeds to semitone tuning without excessive tuning I'd prefer not to risk it.  Perhaps one of our fettler brethren have a solution? 

Rob.

Squeaky Pete

• Squeaky Pete
  • Re-hohn a Hohner
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2020, 07:28:06 PM »

In reply to Mark.
I've just declubbed a BbEb IIIBF and I found that doing the bass is OK if you go for thirdless chords.
It still sounds very rich and powerful.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 07:30:09 PM by Squeaky Pete »
Poker work DG.
Pariselle 2.6 DG, Ex-Club IIIBS CF,
Matching Liliputs in CF and DG,
Lots of sickly Hohners needing TLC,
Bassoon, Various Bagpipes........

Pat McInnis

• Respected Sage
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2020, 10:19:20 PM »

Oh yes, I did of course mean Bb/Eb. I also had a feeling that the argument for keeping the Club system would arise and I'm not totally against that. Just wondering what the mob thought.

Stiamh, to answer your question about why I would want a Bb/Eb system for playing ITM; the easy answer is I don't. I also don't need a CF box but for some reason I have three now. Getting these nicer boxes in good playable shape is the ultimate goal so that they can be sold, traded or just played by folks who drop by. Nothing worse than a dust collecting wall hanger.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal