Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 row A/D conversion  (Read 1610 times)

Mark Leue

• Regular debater
2 row A/D conversion
« on: January 20, 2020, 01:29:37 PM »

Playing in sessions here in the US a bit now, it seems like it would be very useful, considering my limited musical abilities to have a standard two row in A/D.  I have a friend who plays contra dances and he uses that one almost as often as his D/G. I already have a CF and GC I'm working on getting tuned up and fettled.
 Is the best long term result likely to  buy a new set of reeds or does anyone have spare old ones from a Pokerwork they'd be willing to sell and mount on my reed blocks? Reed blocks are pretty easy to send to Britain and the final tuning could be done in my box here by Bob Snope.
I don't here much on melnet about A/D boxes, I've only learned to really play in A minor on my D/G.

Peadar

Re: 2 row A/D conversion
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 03:40:07 PM »

Mark,

Just a year into learning melodeon and been feeling my way round different keys and tunings I have discovered  AD is my personally preferred tuning. (Also trying to get to grips with BC, because that is locally the traditional tuning). It's  much easier to sing along with an AD (on low octave A row) than a DG (on G  row), unless you are a soprano.

It may be better to try to get an extra set of reed blocks with AD reeds

Anyway - For what it's worth - My vote is for AD as a tuning.

P
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 03:59:18 PM »

On the rare occasions I go to a session, I take A/D, and G/C. The former for tunes, and the latter for singing.

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 04:10:41 PM »

Playing in sessions here in the US a bit now, it seems like it would be very useful, considering my limited musical abilities to have a standard two row in A/D.  I have a friend who plays contra dances and he uses that one almost as often as his D/G.

Have you considered a C#/D? Then you could take just one instrument to dances or sessions. Melody-wise, it can do anything you can do on a D/G and an A/D, and a lot more besides. You'd never be stuck for an accidental (and they are always right next to where your hand is when you need them).

You'd find the choice of basses more restrictive, especially in the key of G, but for contradances where you have a rhythm section, or sessions where there are accompanists, that might not matter at all.

You would have to learn to play in G on the D row, which would probably cause a moderate case of brain-fry at first, it being very much a pull key, but it's quite doable. A major is actually easier than G.

Interesting to note that many of the younger players in Newfoundland, where the A/D was the two-row of choice for decades, are taking up the C#/D instead.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 04:54:50 PM »

It would be worth posting a wanted advert on here for a set of Hohner AD reeds.  There must be many sets sitting idle.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

diatonix

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 09:31:41 PM »

The easiest way to do this might actually be to acquire a AD box...

Mark Leue

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 10:18:29 PM »

Ive never seen one for sale in the US. Not at the Button box or anywhere else.

Larry Powers

• Good talker
  • Bouchard 10+4 in D, Lilly D/C#
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 10:26:23 PM »

The Button Box has a new Castagnari Studio A/D but the word inexpensive is not in the description.

Peadar

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 11:09:16 PM »

Ive never seen one for sale in the US. Not at the Button box or anywhere else.

Is it terribly difficult to import one from Canada or Europe? They do occasionally get offered on melnet buy and sell, so you could try a wanted ad. Just a suggestion.

David Colpitts

• Regular debater
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2020, 12:33:58 AM »

And, Mark, I traded one in to ButtonBox late September, though it seems to have sold.  It really is a nice box, the A/D.  I am often sorry.  By the way, did anybody here get it?

Regards,

David

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2020, 07:50:07 AM »

I just finished converting a GC concertina to AD, and I am pretty sure I have some AD reed sets in my Weltmeister stock. PM me.
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997

folkloristmark

• street entertainers
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2020, 07:59:32 AM »

I have a set of AD reeds on blocks for a two row powker work/ericas I have just got a set set of semitone for the box. They are H reeds and have been waxed valved and approx tuned to 440 dry second bank tad flat ,first bank 440. They would need spot tuning or tuning up for the standard hohner trem.How does £60 plus post sound. You can get sets from the hohner shop as I did for the C# D. They were quite good as regards tunning and reeds, the block work was a little rough as compared to old hohner but the were quite easy to fit with some fettling.PS I also have DA boxes spare I would sell.PM if interested
kind regards
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 08:05:12 AM by folkloristmark »
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

mselic

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2020, 12:52:46 PM »

Interesting to note that many of the younger players in Newfoundland, where the A/D was the two-row of choice for decades, are taking up the C#/D instead.

That is indeed the current trend, in large part due to the gradual migration away from the old music and style of play to more a more modern Irish sound, at least in St. John’s.
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

melodeon

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2020, 12:33:25 AM »

The Button Box has a A/D Lilly in stock.

Jon Stapleton

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2020, 05:08:38 PM »

There is a nice looking Hohner A/D on reverb i noticed today, not too expensive   But i already have too many so i am told....

Peadar

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2020, 07:09:21 PM »

That is indeed the current trend, in large part due to the gradual migration away from the old music and style of play to more a more modern Irish sound, at least in St. John’s.

Showing my ignorance here....Cape Breton I know about (ish) , PEI ditto, Was there a lot of early-mid 19th century Scottish Highland emigration to Newfoundland?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal