Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crested Hens, Les poules Huppees  (Read 2050 times)

Mark Leue

• Regular debater
Crested Hens, Les poules Huppees
« on: January 21, 2020, 04:56:17 PM »

Love this tune,  I see some mentions of it when I search Melnet, but haven't  found a recording yet on melodeon.  Can it be played on a 2.5 row? (OBSESSION, HELP)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Crested Hens, Les poules Huppees
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 05:19:19 PM »

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 06:13:25 PM »

A 2.5 row should be able to play it in a variety keys, as a 2 row 8 bass can comfortably play it in whatever it's regular minor is (eg E minor, on a DG).

Mark Leue

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 09:31:38 PM »

https://youtu.be/qA20oHyoEzw

Man are those guys out of tune with each other and out of beat  with very mindless the rhythm section.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 10:02:49 PM »

Lots of great recordings have got really amazingly out of tune (normally sharp) flute playing (1:28 California Dreamin) or recorder playing (1:20 Wild Thing), but I'm too aware of my flaws to start throwing stones.
For melodeon versions here's:
Diato Soldo
and also a version with hurdy gurdy and a bit of melodeon

Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Mark Leue

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 10:14:34 PM »

Lots of great recordings have got really amazingly out of tune (normally sharp) flute playing (1:28 California Dreamin) or recorder playing (1:20 Wild Thing), but I'm too aware of my flaws to start throwing stones.
For melodeon versions here's:
Diato Soldo
and also a version with hurdy gurdy and a bit of melodeon

Wow, it's amazing how much the tune has morphed as played on the circuit in the US.  Our version first passed through Ireland and got a Celtic stamp. different melody and only two parts.

Mark Leue

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 10:20:36 PM »

after having translate the title, "Les Poules huppées suivi de La Prunelle" I guess thats a medley of two tunes the second being "sloe?"

not sure if theres a third part to the  Gilles Chabenat tune or some of that belongs to the (I think?) second tune...

Also the second link with the gurdy does not appear to work.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 11:17:02 PM by Mark Leue »

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 03:12:35 AM »

My favourite melodeon version of Crested Hens is Paul Young's band playing it as a jig (with Paul calling the dance as well)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlxOJcNK6GE

When playing the tune in Em on a 2 row D/G box it helps if you have the D# accidental on the push, so you can play the B major chord. Same goes for playing it on a 2.5 row.

BTW I agree the 1st video Lester mentioned was a bit disconcerting. The band in question are a local Sydney group who's music has developed a lot and they play some pretty amazing stuff. Have a listen to the same box player doing one of his originals a few months ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFROeyzgNSY

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 08:46:47 AM »

And, of course, Solas did a great job of turning Crested Hens into an air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=GPQwyJaCyg8&feature=emb_logo

Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 12:11:41 PM »

I have always played Huppees as a three time bourree ...never thought of playing it as a jig as Paul Young does. But I've just downloaded a jig version by Mr Chabenat himself(with a pianist). Surprisingly I think I'm playing more or less the right notes (order another matter of course), but it is good to check the original when possible.
Perhaps fortunately, I can't upload my version to Youtube...pooter says no.
J
Old Bones Dance Band

Mark Leue

• Regular debater
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 01:58:35 PM »

great as a jig!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 02:18:36 PM »

J

Giles' Publishers are very protective of his copyright
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Julian S

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2020, 04:10:23 PM »

J

Understandably Greg ! (But actually I meant my playing, not Gilles' recording - for some reason I can't upload to Youtube anymore)

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2020, 05:33:56 PM »

J

Understandably Greg ! (But actually I meant my playing, not Gilles' recording - for some reason I can't upload to Youtube anymore)

J

;D
and there's me thinking it was blocked. There was a clear statement about this tune being copyright from the publisher when I looked a few years ago.
Greg Smith

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2020, 12:37:33 PM »

Is the publisher Phillipe Besson? 
  _       _    _      _ 

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2020, 02:00:06 PM »

This is what I came across on the session, a lot of years ago

Crested Hens

Dear Members:

Global Graffiti Publishing is the U.S. publisher of “Crested Hens” (aka Les Poules Huppees). While we and Gilles Chabenat (the writer) appreciate your enthusiasm for the song, we would also like you to understand that posting just about anything other than its title or your commentary requires a license issued by the publisher.

This would include (but is not limited to) music notation of any kind, midi files and sound files, whether in streaming or downloadable form. To obtain a license (at a very reasonable cost, btw), visit the “Songfile” online licensing page at www.harryfox.com , or contact us directly at licensing@globalgraffiti.com . We will be happy to help you.

If you don’t wish to obtain a license, then we must ask you to remove any licensable materials from your posts.

Some trivia: 1. The original title of The Crested Hens is Les Poules Huppees and was written by Gilles Chabenat in 1983. Solas recorded the song in 1995 and translated the French title into English, which literally means, The Crested Hens. This change of title was not authorized by Gilles, but has become the de facto title of the song in America, but almost nowhere else in the world. 2. Gilles is still very much alive and well, and many of his songs have been recorded by the best Celtic artists in the world. 3. Crested Hens has been recorded and released worldwide more than three dozen times. 4. Contrary to popular belief, the song is NOT public domain 🙂

Our sincere thanks,

Skip Adams
Global Graffiti Publishing
www.globalgraffiti.com
Greg Smith

Julian S

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2020, 03:58:04 PM »

So on the basis of the copyright statement, suggesting it as a T.O.T.M. probably is not a good idea !

J

Old Bones Dance Band

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2020, 04:37:04 PM »

Mind you, I don't know who the European publishers are.
Also, this was over 10 years ago.
Greg Smith

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2020, 05:12:15 PM »

That's news to me, and while that all sounds like a reason to just unlearn the tune forever, publishing rights are kind of a big, complicated deal - and often if you wish to keep them you must defend them. Our modern, Internet connected world has yet to catch up and mixing in the folksy share alike culture makes everything even muddier. I've heard plenty of publishers whove even ended up working against the original creators wishes, too, so, idk.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2020, 01:04:23 PM »

Thanks. I/we had some awkward correspondence with Phillipe when we ToTM’d Canal in October.

As a chavan he  agents Frédéric Paris and a lot of the bas Auvergne people, very protectively! Chabenat is a close friend of the  Embraud crowd. They (used to) use the same CD publisher, but I was just guessing about the agent

Back to topic - I used to play poules huppées on my little Lily. Part B is harmonic minor so you need your Eb/F accs right way if you like bass B maj chord with it. But mostly the tune is “attitude” 😉

It’s dance rhythm is 3/8 = Auvergnat bourrée
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 01:13:36 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal