Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to play the Marsaillaise on a D/G?  (Read 988 times)

Bill Ferrett

How to play the Marsaillaise on a D/G?
« on: January 23, 2020, 09:41:22 PM »

Hi All.  I'm a beginner and live in France and have just got a second-hand D/G Hohner.  While I learn the basics (Shepherd's Hey, etc), I thought it would be fun to learn the Marsaillaise.  I have worked out most of it but the section that starts "Ils viennent..." is the tricky bit.  I think it uses a natural F (which I have as an accidental if that is the right term) but fitting that in is a) tricky fingering and b) seems too high.

Am I just trying to run before I can walk, approaching it from the wrong direction, missing a trick or what?  Thanks for any advice.
1930's Hohner re-tuned to D/G

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
Re: How to play the Marsaillaise on a D/G?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 09:53:50 PM »

It sounds like you are playing in D. You're right, the F natural is in the wrong octave. If you play it in G, that note becomes a Bb, which you have in the right octave, but then there is a low F natural in the first section (on "Mugir") which you don't have in the right octave. I guess either way you will have to fudge it somehow. I'd try it both ways and see what seems to work best.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 10:08:55 PM »

That brings back memories of the English music session we used to have at the Elm Tree in Cambridge in the '70s, where the pub's landlady was French and we always played La Marseillaise at the end of the evening in her honour. We faked and fumbled our way through the tricky bits, which most of us didn't know very well anyway, but she appreciated the effort.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Marje

• Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 10:44:54 PM »

Say what you like about "God Save the Queen", it would be a doddle on a two-row melodeon! (Mind you , I don't think I've ever been called on to play it).)
Marje

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 10:48:38 PM »

A good friend and band leader was with his band playing at a village twinning celebration, with the French villagers enjoying an English barn dance circa early1980's when twinning was all the rage.
He is an inveterate twiddler, as the caller is calling the dance he twiddled... and his fingers fell on the start of La Marseilles.
The audience rose as one to their feet and stood to attention whilst he then has to busk the rest whilst perspiring heavily as he never played it through before.
It cured him of twiddling between dances  ;D
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 06:42:54 AM »

Ha! That immediately reminded me of that scene in Casablanca, stirring tune and a great picture. Thanks, Q.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 07:52:46 AM »

Marseillaise is relatively ok,(though I can only remember half the words) but I've just realised I've never learned the Italian National Anthem...

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Alan Pittwood

• Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 10:26:41 AM »

Il Canto degli Italiani  Song of the Italians (1847)

(aka Inno di Mameli Mameli's hymn) (aka Fratelli d'Italia  Brothers of Italy)

A canto, of verses and chorus, words by Goffredo Mameli (influenced by La Marseillaise).  The music, by Michele Novaro, a march
in 4/4, is usually published in Bb.  The tune ranges from the D below the stave to the G above and is eminently singable.

The chorus increases in intensity to end with a loud Si! (Yes!): as seen sung with great vigour by the Ferrari F1 team.
Hohner Erica D/G.

Ellisteph

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 11:41:36 AM »

Say what you like about "God Save the Queen", it would be a doddle on a two-row melodeon! (Mind you , I don't think I've ever been called on to play it).)
I once found myself playing for a ceilidh in a barn when a coach from Liverpool arrived. One very scouse accent asked 'Can you play the Queen la?' I instinctively started to play the first few notes almost as a joke and looked up to see about 200 people standing to attention. The caller whispered in my ear 'For God's sake don't stop'. Somehow I got through the rest of the tune & everyone relaxed and got ready for the next dance. I learnt a lesson that night; don't start something if you can't finish it.
Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal