Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Single row tunes  (Read 863 times)

Turk Jones

• New Starter
Single row tunes
« on: January 28, 2020, 10:59:05 PM »

Could anyone suggest a few beginners tunes to play on a single row hohner 1040d please?
I've got shepherds hay sorted. Thanks

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
Re: Single row tunes
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 12:02:20 AM »

Can I point you to the thread One Row Tunes? At the moment it is in response to a question from me, but no reason not to spread the content. Just click on the blue writing in the first sentence. You'll find Lester has posted a link to single row tunes there too.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 12:05:31 AM »

Can I point you to the thread One Row Tunes? At the moment it is in response to a question from me, but no reason not to spread the content. Just click on the blue writing in the first sentence. You'll find Lester has posted a link to single row tunes there too.
Just about to post it here as well, go HERE and scroll down to find the 1 row instruments such as Hohner 1 Row 4 Stop in D

Turk Jones

• New Starter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 07:49:14 AM »

Great, thanks! That should keep me quiet, ahem, I mean busy for a while. 

Peadar

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 08:08:09 AM »

Hi Richard,
Welcome to Melnet- It sounds like you are in the same place I was in a year ago- just started with a 1 row 1040. As you have a 1040/D you also have the "classic" pitching for Irish and modern English 1 row. Perhaps you did more research than I did-as I chose "G".

Your profile doesn't give any location- though "Shepherds Hey" suggests you are in England and presumably looking for starter tunes that belong to English tradition.

My first tune on the melodeon was " Merrily we roll along" , followed by "Johnny Todd" - a traditional song from Liverpool which I learnt fifty years ago in primary school- and became on the melodeon, the first tune I ever learnt to play by ear (on any instrument) and then: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Amazing Grace, Auld Lang Syne and then into Gaidhlig music with "Loch Liobhan" .  Nursery rhymes are really good starter tunes for the one row and David Mallinsons tutor is particularly good in this respect.

Do not under rate the songs you learnt in childhood- as tunes to be worked out from ear and played and enjoyed as well as being a basic repertoire to build on. Their simple rythms also give you something clear to start working on a rythmic bass- if that suits your personal style. As you are starting with the 1 row  I would say avoid Ed R ennie's book - his introductory method is very focussed on 2 row D/G. It is just confusing a a starter for the 1 row.

Hope this helps and enjoy the learning experience :D

Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 09:14:28 AM »

...followed by "Johnny Todd" - a traditional song from Liverpool...

aka Z Cars  (:)

This was the first tune I learned, in the early 60s... On my next door but one neighbours toy piano, aged 8, or nine.
It's used for the  Cornish Border Morris dance, Wheel Jane, so I'm still playing it. Sadly, we no longer dance it.

A good tune to start with and fun to play.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Turk Jones

• New Starter
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 07:13:33 AM »

Thanks for the detailed reply. I have started to have a go at some nursery rhymes and agree it is a good place to start. I've just about got twinkle twinkle. I'll have a listen to Johnny Todd.  Which book would you recommend?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal