Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mally Vital session tunes  (Read 3176 times)

stevejay

Mally Vital session tunes
« on: September 23, 2009, 04:48:41 PM »

(:) Just great for simple settings of Irish favorites, and great tempos, no keys out of range.

Just perfect, if you are an amateur player like me and need some straightforward settings to learn and play along with, I don't think you can do better.(melodeon D/G Players)

If you don't read music, the CD is medium tempo, but the melodeon takes the lead, so you can learn quicker than let's say a flute lead?

Anyway I'm 100% happy with this book, and wanted to pass this on. I ordered from the Mel Bay site.

Tyker

• Respected Sage
  • Cheviot C#DG,Hohners D and G/C
Re: Mally Vital session tunes
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 05:45:59 PM »

I was looking for something like this today , for my son to practise playing session tunes . However , we thought that the Walton's Session books were better . This decision was based on the sound clips . I believe it is Mally playing from his own book , and he sounds like an English player playing Irish , rather that an Irish player playing Irish .
Graeme - North Hampshire,UK

There is no noun that can't be verbed

stevejay

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 06:06:00 PM »

Ultimately we want to play them our way, English, Irish, or Zulu  ::)

Tyker

• Respected Sage
  • Cheviot C#DG,Hohners D and G/C
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 06:21:33 PM »

Ultimately we want to play them our way, English, Irish, or Zulu  ::)

Until you go to an Irish  session . My son is aiming for an Irish session of the standard of the Herschel Arms in Slugh (sorry Slough) . Herschel Arms session .

Graeme - North Hampshire,UK

There is no noun that can't be verbed

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 09:07:07 PM »

[My son is aiming for an Irish session of the standard of the Herschel Arms in Slugh (sorry Slough) . Herschel Arms session .

He has his work cut out for him... Thanks for the clip, very nice playing. Last tune is of course Scottish - Scott Skinner's "The Gladstone" (is that an English connection?).

stevejay

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 09:53:45 PM »

I am not terribly concerned if the settings are 100% or not, not a bit. I change songs to fit the instrument anyway, some runs which are "fiddle-tune" like, can be modified to fall right under your fingers for the melodeon.

It just isn't worth the work to get it exactly like <insert favorite player of choice>

I'm just getting older and no longer concerned with 100% accuracy, at least not with my music. I never attend any sessions, so there is nobody to correct/criticize me..

But it must sound good, and rhythm is very important. You can play with the notes, but rhythm should be in the zone. People might not notice or care you changed a note here or there, but it will be obvious if the rhythm is off.

Also, I'm not convinced Mally's settings are far off. He made them "melodeonistic" at some points, but that is a good thing, and adapting old tunes to your instrument is common among the best in the business. I always try to keep in mind "what does this box of buttons do well" and try to take it from there... It's working, II can play ok, and want to keep improving.  I like changing songs a bit to fit what I hear in my head, it's the creative part.

Strongly stated opinions make for good fun >:E

This is a very cool instrument btw- I hope my neighbors agree ::)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 11:22:04 PM by stevejay »

Dazbo

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Danger MAD Here!
    • My YouTube Channel for melodeons, morris and folk in general
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 04:12:36 PM »

Until you go to an Irish  session . My son is aiming for an Irish session of the standard of the Herschel Arms in Slugh (sorry Slough) .

Irish isn't my scene but I've been told (by an Irish musician) that so called Irish* sessions in England (including Slough) aren't like a proper Irish session (too fast and furious was his comment).

*full of Englishmen trying to pretend they're Irish
Ciao Bellow

Darren

stevejay

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 04:37:47 PM »

He'll enjoy slow sessions. That's where I'd belong btw, don't know enough tunes or have enough mastery for up-tempo. The only reason I was up and running quickly is from harmonicas and concertina.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 09:52:03 PM »

Irish isn't my scene but I've been told (by an Irish musician) that so called Irish* sessions in England (including Slough) aren't like a proper Irish session (too fast and furious was his comment).

Actually the Billinge session (mostly Irish) I went to last night was at a nice steady pace and they only raced one tune. Just like West Coast Ireland,  or France,  or New Zealand for that matter.

What is it with so called 'Irish' sessions - almost uniquely here in Britain - we play faster, and faster, and faster ? Until all that's left is a couple of 'winners'. Sorry to sound off - but this way of playing music is crap. It's put me off so called 'Irish' music for decades  Chris Ryall
  _       _    _      _ 

Falseknight

• Respected Sage
    • False Knight
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 11:48:23 AM »

Yes, and first and second are usually two tenor banjo players  >:(

The Cidermaker

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 01:29:12 PM »

Nice  music at the Slough session but it looks to me that the chap playing the box has the  strap on the wrong shoulder-or perhaps that is the "Irish " way!

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 02:18:45 PM »

Nice  music at the Slough session but it looks to me that the chap playing the box has the  strap on the wrong shoulder-or perhaps that is the "Irish " way!

Looks like Tim Eady style around right hip and left shoulder and acroos your back (hope that makes sense)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal