- 16 (24.2%)
Farewell to Muirheads
- 23 (34.8%)
Mazurka des Tuileries
- 15 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Voting closed: February 01, 2020, 08:58:19 AM

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Poll: Tune of the Month for February 2020  (Read 3585 times)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
Poll: Tune of the Month for February 2020
« on: January 26, 2020, 08:58:19 AM »

Hi all - this month's choices:

- The Star Above the Garter - Last month's runner up (barely) was this from Gavin Atkin's channel comes this rather nice trad 32 bar jig: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DLrQ7vRZW0

- Mourisque - I played this accidentaly last night (I was trying to play Galopede and missed); Lester's got a nice version of it, with ever so convenient ABC, here: https://lesters-tune-a-day.blogspot.com/2012/10/tune-61-la-mourisque.html

- Farewell to Muirheads - exploring youtube, I came across this as Ian Mackay shows off his new Pariselle box; it's a bagpipe tune written by Robert Wallace, and it's really, really nice. First tune in the set. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4N4x-bimWs

- Mazurka des Tuileries - after a quick search to find something 'continental' to add a bit of variety to the list, I found this on Jack's channel. Written by Maarten Decombel, a nice tune I'd really quite like to learn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IozYjDqeVf8

Happy voting all!

Cheers,

Clive

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
Re: Poll: Tune of the Month for February 2020
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 09:33:53 AM »

Thanks Clive, for promoting my first ever video. Further down the youtube details there are links which may help (I'm playing a CF box so my  DG-speak "A minor" fingering sounds like G minor, of course)

Sheet music with playable audio: (A minor fingering)
https://www.noteflight.com/scores/view/2ca992724ce6bb3cdc25b04f8e38fbcaf8518ac8
Play the noteflight quavers as swung (almost dotted) rhythm. (The noteflight audio doesn't play the first three notes properly)

Please note that the authentic tune as played by Goze (Maarten and Wim Claes) has an extra bar at the end of  several phrases
Listen here to find it played properly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zOQVZW9qGQ
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 09:36:00 AM by Jackhumphreys »

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 10:06:27 AM »

Gosh. I've written 'nice' against every single tune's description!

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 10:35:26 AM »

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 12:37:13 PM »

this rather nice trad 32 bar jig

Lester's got a nice version of it

it's really, really nice

a nice tune I'd really quite like to learn

There has to be a deeper meaning to this, maybe some kind of hidden code! puts tin foil hat on

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 04:06:16 PM »

Unusually this time I've voted for the tune that I think will bring out the most different versions rather than the one I'd pick for myself.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Peadar

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 05:46:43 PM »

Farewell to Muirhead's......That's a mind blowing concept.

Niel Gow made the tune Farewell to Whisky. Robert Wallace obviously decided to narrow the field down a bit. Muirheads was (is?) very much an Edinburgh Whiskey....in my experience available mainly from licenced grocers in Pilton and Leith, and usually sold in quarter bottles.

In the mid 80's I escaped from post-academia unemployment via  a few months as a semi-skilled engineering worker in a sheet metal shop next to a dog food factory in Leith. The birth of my first born was celebrated at clock out time with a half bottle of the stuff. Which did at least disinfect the canteen mugs.

I am almost tempted to vote for the tune for nostalgic reasons....the risk being that if it doesn't win I will feel obliged to have a shot at the one that does....which may not end well.
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

IanK

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 09:09:47 PM »

I think the Robert Wallace tune is about leaving Muirhead's pipe band which he played in.

Ellisteph

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2020, 10:38:55 PM »

Unusually this time I've voted for the tune that I think will bring out the most different versions rather than the one I'd pick for myself.
I'm guessing that's the 'nice' one?
Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F

playandteach

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2020, 11:37:14 PM »

I'm guessing that's the 'nice' one?
As you've asked it's the one Lester plays so nicely.

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2020, 10:22:17 AM »

Interesting. I often wonder why people vote for certain tunes. I think I recall that this month's tune had 22 votes but I can only count 9 new recordings.

Grumpy

• Grumpy
  • Regular debater
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2020, 10:15:56 AM »

In reply to Mcgrgroogers comments I can only give a personal answer. Yes I do normally vote in ToM but do not submit any performances, the reason is generally speaking I play to a low standard for my own enjoyment. I vote for particular tunes in an attempt to "push" the experts (Mcgroover included) into giving their renditions of the tunes I personally like, I then, sometimes many times over watch in awe their vidios and try to emulate the skill they show. I can only say a Thank You to those that do post performances and hope they get as much satisfaction in performing and making their vidios as I do in watching them. This of course is only my personal view, other non performing voters may well have others.
Chris D, Surrey, UK
Getting old but still learning. Pokerwork G/D, Saltarelle L'Elfique G/D, Castagnari Lilly G/D and Hohner Liliput Declubed G/D + English concertinas, mandolins, recorders, tin whistles and other items unknown to household managment

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2020, 11:12:47 AM »

I haven't posted because I don't like it and I didn't vote for it  :D
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2020, 03:30:30 PM »

I haven't posted because I don't like it and I didn't vote for it  :D
Likewise Greg.
McG :-X

Ken McAlack

• Good talker
  • Saltarelle Aether II B/C 21/8
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2020, 05:58:43 PM »

And that is exactly what makes this forum so Great! The musical tastes are so varied that it never gets boring. I love coming to the forum each day to see what members have suggested that we listen to or possibly learn in the future. It inspires me to expand my tastes and add to the "Future tunes to Learn" list. Even if the winning TOTM isn't my favorite choice, I might be inspired by one of the runners up. I might even be inspired by the winning tune once I hear other members perform their rendition. So Viva La TOTM for it's diversity.

And I echo what Grumpy posted about making recorded contributions. Out of 3000 plus members I believe that probably 5% or less members feel accomplished enough to display their rendition. It does not mean that they don't enjoy the whole process. So yes, I will continue to vote for my favorite TOTM and thoroughly enjoy the brave, talented souls that display their versions for all to appreciate.

Ken

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2020, 06:09:08 PM »

On a more positive note, I rather like the two tunes leading the field this month. I'll have a bash at either of them.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2020, 09:24:42 PM »

The musical tastes are so varied that it never gets boring.

I totally agree with this. There have been many times since TOTM began that I have been disappointed with the chosen tune (never the Theme as that offers infinate oportunies to play something that takes your fancy) only to find at least one contribution that suddenly turns me on to a tune that never really did it for me. I avidly watch/listen to every contribution and I've been rewarded so many times that there is rarely a choice that leaves me as unmoved by a tune as before. I'd love to contribute but I become a jibbering wreck the moment the red light goes on (figuratively speaking), which is quite funny really as I spent so many years 'doing the clubs' and recording for BBC local radio without a qualm albeit as a guitarist/singer rather than a box player.

I too vote in order to hear a variety of approaches to a tune. If the only people who voted for TOTM were those who actually contributed I think the concept would be diminished. If there is a strong feeling that voting should be limited to those that contribute recordings, I will cease to vote in future, no problem.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Graham Wood

• Regular debater
  • Old Fumble Fingers
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2020, 10:00:45 PM »

And I echo what Grumpy posted about making recorded contributions. Out of 3000 plus members I believe that probably 5% or less members feel accomplished enough to display their rendition. It does not mean that they don't enjoy the whole process. So yes, I will continue to vote for my favorite TOTM and thoroughly enjoy the brave, talented souls that display their versions for all to appreciate.

Ken

I would like to think that anyone could post their rendition of the TOTM, not just the brave and talented souls. Obviously as a new boy I could be wrong but personally I would be willing to give it a shot even if it does sound like a dogs dinner. I don't really know what's expected from this thread. If it's talented souls then I will count myself out. If it's a free for all then I'm in...
Graham Wood - Third Planet from The Sun
Hohner Morgane B/C,   Junior Martin 1 Row in 'D' with knobs on top,   Acadian 1 Row in 'C' with more knobs on top.

playandteach

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2020, 10:09:36 PM »

The musical tastes are so varied that it never gets boring.

I too vote in order to hear a variety of approaches to a tune. If the only people who voted for TOTM were those who actually contributed I think the concept would be diminished. If there is a strong feeling that voting should be limited to those that contribute recordings, I will cease to vote in future, no problem.
I'm sure that no-one would want that. I think any valid reason for voting for a tune (to hear others, to work on it but not to record etc.) is, well, valid. On the other hand I'd encourage anyone who wants to, to record and share even if it's only to build experience at it. It is a safe environment. I'd make it unlisted to avoid random hurtful comments from the wider public, but have a go. I never think my versions are anything other than prosaic, but I'm ok with that for now.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal