- 16 (24.2%)
Farewell to Muirheads
- 23 (34.8%)
Mazurka des Tuileries
- 15 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Voting closed: February 01, 2020, 08:58:19 AM

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Poll: Tune of the Month for February 2020  (Read 3584 times)

fc diato

• Regular debater
Re: Poll: Tune of the Month for February 2020
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2020, 11:24:20 PM »

Well, and then there are those who neither post (no time, really, yet) nor vote (I'll vote when I post), but love TOTM.  I almost always learn one of the nominated tunes, and learn to appreciate the winning tune even when I thought I did not like it at the start.   

It would be a shame if early learners felt intimidated from posting though!  When I was starting about 6 or 7 years ago, I could only admire the expert posts, but learned more from those who were earlier in their journey.
fc diato

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2020, 11:37:37 PM »

Hm, I'd like to alter my vote but can't do it anymore. Hasn't that been possible in the past?

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2020, 12:00:34 AM »

Hm, I'd like to alter my vote but can't do it anymore. Hasn't that been possible in the past?
I'm sure I've jumped horses in midstream. Knowing your English vernacular command, Fred, I won't insult you with anything other than the subtle blend of quaintness that comes too easily to me.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2020, 12:43:50 AM »

The change your mind option does seem to have disappeared. I think it was there when I first voted.
[edit to clarify: i.e., voted in this month's poll, not first time I ever voted  :D]
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 12:48:31 AM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2020, 02:12:16 AM »

Well, it's not as if changing my vote would actually decide about the outcome of our little poll here. Just wanted to tick the box for a second option that I'd prefer instead of the current soon-to-be-winner.

Knowing your English vernacular command, Fred, I won't insult you with anything other than the subtle blend of quaintness that comes too easily to me.

Care to elaborate? I'm not sure I caught all the subtleties within that sentence. (Ironic, isn't it?)
If that sentence was just about "changing horses midstream", then I suppose I've understood it but I'm not so sure about that...

playandteach

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2020, 07:50:20 AM »

Just a compliment that I can use odd and archaic expressions freely with you because I have not yet found anything in your posts that reveals a weakness in understanding or using English. And that my natural way of speaking is slightly indulgent: I tend to stray to the less travelled path in word choice.

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2020, 11:53:35 AM »

Having seen how TUILERIES was doing for TOTM, I thought maybe the video being on a 2.6 row in CF might have been a vote-loser.     So I had the idea of reposting on a 2 row 4 Bass DG box.   But, just had a try, and it's not possible in A minor without spoiling the harmonies: an F chord is esssential.   It does work in E minor in the upper octave, provided you have a push D# note to go with a push B chord at the end of bar 4.   But it's not brilliant, as you can't do the proper suspension  of notes E to D# over a held B chord.  You have to do chords Am B instead, which takes away one of the tune's features.  So really need more buttons to play this one.

playandteach

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2020, 02:27:41 PM »

Having listened to a couple of versions of Farewell to Muirheads, with a view to jotting the tune down, am I right in thinking it doesn't really have a B section?

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2020, 02:57:59 PM »

(...) am I right in thinking it doesn't really have a B section?
You have a pm Pete ...
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

playandteach

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2020, 05:23:32 PM »

Thanks, Graham. That tallies with my thoughts.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2020, 05:34:42 PM »

(...) am I right in thinking it doesn't really have a B section?
You have a pm Pete ...

Anything worth sharing?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 07:15:27 PM by Clive Williams »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

playandteach

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2020, 05:58:15 PM »

Only that the A section is pretty much exactly the same as the B section. I wondered if I'd missed something.

Grumpy

• Grumpy
  • Regular debater
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2020, 04:56:02 PM »

I totally agree that all should be able to post their efforts to TotM and at all times should be able to do so and I personally enjoy every single vidio posted. However in my case (and mine alone) I would ask that lack of taking part in postings be classed as a another definition of a Gent, ie, someone that could post but out of respect to the composer and the hearing and musical ability of others does not.
Chris D, Surrey, UK
Getting old but still learning. Pokerwork G/D, Saltarelle L'Elfique G/D, Castagnari Lilly G/D and Hohner Liliput Declubed G/D + English concertinas, mandolins, recorders, tin whistles and other items unknown to household managment

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2020, 05:05:52 PM »

I totally agree that all should be able to post their efforts to TotM and at all times should be able to do so and I personally enjoy every single vidio posted. However in my case (and mine alone) I would ask that lack of taking part in postings be classed as a another definition of a Gent, ie, someone that could post but out of respect to the composer and the hearing and musical ability of others does not.

Do you still record and listen back to your playing? Excruciating as that can be, giving youself the feedback on what you really sound like, as distinct to what you think you sound like, is a tremendous learning experience.

Don't wait for perfection before you post, either. That is the road to never putting yourself out there.

Another thing, It's surprising how often your efforts sound much better to yourself when you listen back after a break.  When you first listen back, you only hear the errors.
Greg Smith

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal