Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the month idea?  (Read 32009 times)

AndyShear

• D/G Mory
  • Regular debater
    • The Busketeers
Tune of the month idea?
« on: September 23, 2009, 11:42:37 PM »

While visiting a friend the other week in Durham , doing a few gigs , he showed me a thing they do over on a mandolin forum ( mandolin cafe ) where they have a tune for the month , or maybe a week . So they pick a tune , not sure how this comes about , then people go off learn it and post up presumably on youtube their take on said tune , and comment , share ideas etc about it .
This sounds to me like a great way of
A  People being able to learn from each other
B  Broarden their approach to playing tunes they may never would have considered learning
C  Learn where their own strengths , weakness lay in their own playing
D  And generally share what they know in a good demonstrative way

If the tunes were put up in abc then it would be easy to transpose to any key for what ever box you've got , then converted to dots etc
I see it as a great way that we could discuss and learn from each other various approaches to the same tune .Like making an simple tune sound complex and a complex tune sound simple

I know that a lot of people will be  put off , and would say I'm not that good etc but the fact is that how ever bad that you think you are their is always someone not as good as you and likewise how ever good you think you are there is always someone better , so there's no need for any self disparagement .

Anyway it's an idea that Ithink would be good to persue

Andy
With the lostness in das Man, the nearest, factical potentiality-ofbeing of Da-sein has always already been decided upon – tasks, rules, standards, the urgency and scope of being-in-the-world, concerned and taking care of things. Das-Man has always already taken the apprehension of these possibilities-of-being away from Dasein.

Ziachmusi/Louise

• Respected Sage
Re: Tune of the month idea?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 11:21:54 AM »

sounds like a good idea. I particularly like the idea of hearing one and the same tune played by many of the parish members and hopefully  on numerous different sorts of boxes.
Personally I belong to the "not yet good enough" bunch and I've never had ago at uploading to you tube. But I'd certainly be one of the closet participants (:)
Louise

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 11:23:52 AM »

It takes me 2-3months to get a tune good enough for me to post on youtube... :o So I'd have to do every other one if it was monthly.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 11:31:48 AM by ladydetemps »

Ellie

• Saltarelle Pastourelle II
    • Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 11:26:14 AM »

I think that's a really interesting idea - I'd have a go  (:) You'd get to see the variations and other improvements from other players. Very useful for those of us at the 'less practised' end of them spectrum  ;D

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 11:28:06 AM »

I'd give it go. Any excuse to perform   :||:   :M

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 12:01:07 PM »

With sufficient support, I think this could be a very interesting idea.
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 12:07:05 PM »

Sounds like an interesting idea. I would certainly like to hear different people's take on the same tune, even though I am not up to much myself thus far.
I don't get 'jigs'

ganderbox

• Melodeons from Brittany, Italy, Germany* and Leeds
    • www.choughedtobits.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 12:12:30 PM »

I don't have the luxury of Broadband, and dabbling in youtube uses too much of the available bandwidth on our satellite connection, so it will all have to pass me by (as do nearly all the threads on this forum which involve youtube) :(
Pauline from Cornwall

*  including a customised Hohner Club from Cornwall (and very nice it is too!).

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 12:16:30 PM »

I'd be interested, but I would probably have more difficulty posting a video or Youtube than in playing the tune. Do you just need a webcam, or is there any other equipment one needs? How expensive is this equipment? Is it difficult to use?
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Fi

• A Saltarelle Connemara II and a few Hohners...
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 12:50:54 PM »

It's a great idea  (:), and sounds ideal for those of us who can't get out much to sessions and stuff in giving a goal to work towards, I would be up for it.

But I am under the same limitations as Bob. I have video camera in the house but getting stuff off the tapes onto the PC and then onto YouTube is a night's work. My phone does video but the sound quality is appalling (and that's even before I've mucked the tune up)...unless someone can give tips on how to make it less so.

Ellie

• Saltarelle Pastourelle II
    • Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 01:04:35 PM »

I found that my ordinary digital camera takes acceptable quality (though not great) videos, and isn't a total nightmare to upload (we don't have the fastest broadband in the world either  ::)).

HallelujahAl

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 01:06:14 PM »

I'd be interested, but I would probably have more difficulty posting a video or Youtube than in playing the tune. Do you just need a webcam, or is there any other equipment one needs? How expensive is this equipment? Is it difficult to use?

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 01:09:15 PM »

Fantastic idea! How to choose tune of the month? I like how Mandolin Cafe do it - send tune nominations to a nominated bod, set up a poll of suggested titles and everyone can vote on which they'd like to do next. Winning tune is the next tune to learn; anything else that gets at least 2 votes goes back into the pot for next month. 'Tune bod' has the casting vote in the event of a tie.  

Any volunteers to be 'tune bod'? I'd be happy to do it (because heaven knows I do very little other admin work!) unless someone else particularly wants the job?

Cheers,

Clive

michik

• Respected Sage
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 01:14:49 PM »

Actually it is sufficient to record the audio only ... creating mp3s is less complicated and does not require that much bandwidth.
Michael Knapp ~ Vienna ~ Austria
Playing on "Parigi Giovani" G/C (made by Bompezzo) - My recordings: http://www.onmvoice.com/mknapp

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 01:19:18 PM »

I found that my ordinary digital camera takes acceptable quality (though not great) videos, and isn't a total nightmare to upload (we don't have the fastest broadband in the world either  ::)).

A few of my older videos (those without titles and editing - like, for example, this one http://www.youtube.com/GbHandlebar#play/uploads/11/6vnBPZ2fEq8) were done with a pocket stills camera.  The video quality wasn't the best, but the in-built mic seemed to prove more melodeon-friendly than anything else I've used to date.  If you've got something similar available (and with enough storage space), it's certainly worth a go.

Another option worth looking at are the new(ish) breed of mini camcorders like the Flip http://flipvideo.co.uk/.  These are quite cheap, very easy to use and from what I've seen, seem to produce surprisingly good results.
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009, 01:36:51 PM »

Another option worth looking at are the new(ish) breed of mini camcorders like the Flip http://flipvideo.co.uk/.  These are quite cheap, very easy to use and from what I've seen, seem to produce surprisingly good results.

All YouTubes are recorded on a Flip, v easy to use and surprisingly good quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6tghTavixE&feature=player_profilepage#t=21

LDT, I believe, just uses the camera and mic on her Laptop (mind you it is a Mac   ;D )

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009, 01:40:52 PM »

LDT, I believe, just uses the camera and mic on her Laptop (mind you it is a Mac   ;D )
yep....its usually ok as long as I don't sit too near the laptop  ::)

craigus

• Good talker
    • Squashbox Theatre
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2009, 03:27:21 PM »

Beltuna Sara 3 D/G, Saltarelle Le Bouebe D/G, Hohner Pokerwork C/F, Hohner Club C/F, Hohner one row C, weird Russian thing C.

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

Alison Scott

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Oakwood, Dino Baffetti, Roma, Liliput, Streb etc.
    • Macadamia
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2009, 03:50:23 PM »

I would, tentatively, be up for this, in the 'somewhere in the middle' category.

Matthew B

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2009, 03:54:27 PM »

Well, it would depend on the tune also.  I'm not quite ready for that "Bum of the Blitle Flea" yet. 
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal