Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the month idea?  (Read 32007 times)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Tune of the month idea?
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2009, 06:55:06 PM »

Anyway, I see from recent comments that we're reduced to the lowest common denominator again by only wanting to put up stuff for folk who play D/G boxes. Why don't we just call this forum DG.net?
 >:E
AL

'cus we play Emin as well   :P

Fi

• A Saltarelle Connemara II and a few Hohners...
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2009, 06:57:43 PM »

if anybody likes to learn things by ear (I do).

So do I, and I was going to ask just now if there's even a hideous midi version (for that is better than nothing) of the chosen tune could it be put up along with the dots, ABC  (:)

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2009, 08:12:22 PM »

if anybody likes to learn things by ear (I do).

So do I, and I was going to ask just now if there's even a hideous midi version (for that is better than nothing) of the chosen tune could it be put up along with the dots, ABC  (:)
If the ABC is available, any ABC programme, eg ABC Navigator, will play the tune on the computer.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2009, 08:41:26 PM »

If the ABC is available, any ABC programme, eg ABC Navigator, will play the tune on the computer.

If you go to the other side Concertina.net here it will play the ABC's.
All you have to do is paste in the ABC and press submit. Then the music pops up in sheet form and gives you the option of playing a midifile of the blessed thing. They're clever over there aint they?
AL

stevejay

« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2009, 09:06:11 PM »

Fisher's Hornpipe

Why? Because it is a tune that has travelled widely to may lands and instruments for some reason, and most people know it.

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2009, 09:34:18 PM »

Fisher's Hornpipe

Why? Because it is a tune that has travelled widely to may lands and instruments for some reason, and most people know it.

Do they? I just dug out my copy of Hardcore English and played through the tune and I didn't recognize it at all. Perhaps I have been going to the wrong sessions.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2009, 09:42:48 PM »

If this is going to take off, the first tune (at least) needs to be well known, not too difficult for those who are inexperienced and capable of sufficient variation and ornamentation to interest those who already know the tune very well.

Princess Royal meets those criteria and Spirit of the Dance may also do so, but I would like to nominate a tune that is very well known, seems to have a number of different versions and is easy to ornament in a variety of ways; Speed the Plough.

Hackneyed it may be, but I think some of us will be surprised about the variety of ways in which it can be (and is) played.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Fi

• A Saltarelle Connemara II and a few Hohners...
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2009, 09:49:40 PM »

Quote from: HallelujahAl link=topic=2499.msg27776#msg27776 date=1253821286

If you go to the other side Concertina.net [url=http://www.concertina.net/tunes_convert.html
here[/url] it will play the ABC's.
All you have to do is paste in the ABC and press submit. Then the music pops up in sheet form and gives you the option of playing a midifile of the blessed thing. They're clever over there aint they?
AL

Clever and cool!. I can't read ABC at all (I did try but it's too much for my brain/eyes or something!) so am unaware of all its magical properties. Thanks!  ;D

stevejay

« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2009, 07:25:52 AM »

Fisher's Hornpipe

Do they? I just dug out my copy of Hardcore English and played through the tune and I didn't recognize it at all. Perhaps I have been going to the wrong sessions.

give me a break lol

HallelujahAl

« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2009, 07:38:21 AM »

Fisher's Hornpipe
Never heard of it  ;D

melod-ian

• Respected Sage
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2009, 08:02:28 AM »

Fisher's Hornpipe
Never heard of it  ;D

me neither  ... its here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIvuR7nPwyA
it sounds familiar.. but i think its because it sounds like every other hornpipe

it wouldn't get my vote... sorry

3 x Acadian's (C,Bb,A),
Hohner corona iiir (GCF)
PS Black Pearl (DG)
and the old hohner erica (DG)

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2009, 08:14:08 AM »

Fisher's Hornpipe
Never heard of it, I'm afraid. Googling and YouTube suggests that it is an American fiddle tune.

Chris Brimley

« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2009, 08:49:57 AM »

Fishers Hornpipe is famous in bluegrass mandolin circles, and the amazing and multi-talented Andy Statman is associated with the tune.  I think this clip is based on his arrangement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEWeLJMzI-s&feature=related

(Need at least a couple of rows for this one, I would guess!)

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2009, 09:06:17 AM »

As a beginner not knowing anything I hope its ok to suggest one I'm already trying to get to grips with...(hope I got it right?)
what about Marmalade Polka (as seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNP5mPr_MgM)
ABC
http://abcnotation.com/tunePage?a=www.banjolin.co.uk/tunes/abcs/marmalade/0000

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2009, 09:09:13 AM »

Speed the Plough isn't a bad one to start with.  Easy to play (had a 6 yrear old playing it at home) but in its simplicity there's big scope for varation and self expression. eg loads of ways of twiddling the A music.

Does anyone else play the B music inititial bars on the pull against the Em chord (its actually easier)? Or ditto against an Em>D>C pull bass run (useful in loads of other stuff)? doesn't even clash the G others might be playing.

Hacknied is may be, but you can often attend a session and no longer hear it. I've long felt it is due a re-fit. D3R
  _       _    _      _ 

craigus

• Good talker
    • Squashbox Theatre
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2009, 09:51:27 AM »

Speed the Plough is a good one: if you play it already, you can try and surprise yourself and do something new with it; if you don't play it already, then it's a good tune to know because it gets played at sessions everywhere.
Beltuna Sara 3 D/G, Saltarelle Le Bouebe D/G, Hohner Pokerwork C/F, Hohner Club C/F, Hohner one row C, weird Russian thing C.

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

LJC

« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2009, 10:20:05 AM »

Mmm is actually quite a good tune to work on. It was the first one I worked out and (other than a few twiddles on the melody) I was playing it much in the same was as when I started. Probably a very good thing to go back to the old easy tunes and see what new bits can be fitted in with better playing. The E D C bass run spices it up a fair bit. So does fudging playing it in A or in Em.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2009, 10:22:47 AM »

Speed the Plough is a good one: if you play it already, you can try and surprise yourself and do something new with it; if you don't play it already, then it's a good tune to know because it gets played at sessions everywhere.
I can play it slowly with no LH...

Bananayogi

• Regular debater
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2009, 11:29:06 AM »

When choosing the tunes, I'd quite like them to illustrate a point.

For example, if we have a waltz one month, another month how about a mazurka? They are both in 3/4 and I am sure I just play them all as sort-of waltzes! Seeing how better players make them sound different would be good. I guess the same is true of the various 4/4 based tune types as well...

I know that might sound a bit like 'lessons' but personally I would find it valuable (probably more valuable than learning a lot of tunes of the same type).

Just an idea!
Larry Miller Bon Cajun in C, A/D/G Handry, far too many Hohners and a Streb.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2009, 11:34:26 AM »

When choosing the tunes, I'd quite like them to illustrate a point.

Depending on how we get on, I was thinking on those lines myself... perhaps 4 tunes a month starting on different weeks, with each of the weeks having a different flavour - simple well known tunes, continental, tunes you've never heard of, etc.

... but we'll see how we get on with one tune first I think.

Cheers,

Clive
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal