Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternative to B minor  (Read 216 times)

Graham Wood

• Good talker
  • Old Fumble Fingers
Alternative to B minor
« on: January 28, 2020, 08:03:50 PM »

I'm trying to learn the Marino Waltz on my B/C box. I'm playing it in G and I want to put some Bass/Chords to it. I can get all the chords to fit except a B minor and in this tune the Bm is held so it needs a chord. I tried the chord on the right hand but F# and B are on the push but D is on the pull. I then thought of putting the D in as a bass note but that's only available on the pull as well. It seems odd that I've got two separate bass buttons for C on the push but no D on the push. I would have thought that D would be available as push/pull on the bass like G is. Is there a way around this? I tried B and F# on their own but it doesn't sound right because its not a minor. Any thoughts please?
Graham Wood - Third Planet from The Sun
Hohner Morgane B/C,   Junior Martin 1 Row in 'D' with knobs on top

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Re: Alternative to B minor
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 09:48:44 PM »

Regarding the two C push basses, Graham, I mentioned the "McComiskey modification" in an earlier thread: this consists of having the push C on the inner bottom pair changed to push D.

Regarding the lack of a B chord on the left hand and your inability to sound one on the right hand in the push direction, this sounds like not so much an "Aha!" moment as an "Ah shite!" moment. These are bound to come when you play diatonic button accordion. (A thread so titled would engender a lot of responses, I would guess.)

When you can't get the chords you want on a particular tune, changing the key sometimes works. I don't know how the Marino Waltz would work on B/C in F, for example. Would you have an A minor chord in the corresponding place?  (I guess you won't want to try it in C...  ;) )
Senior member at meoldone.net

www.rogermillington.com

Graham Wood

• Good talker
  • Old Fumble Fingers
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 11:33:19 PM »

Yes, I think a lot of good advice given earlier was probably a bit lost on me because I had less understanding of what I was trying to do and the whole concept of learning this little magic box. Now, things are starting to make more sense as my learning time accumulates. A long way to go yet though.......lol
Graham Wood - Third Planet from The Sun
Hohner Morgane B/C,   Junior Martin 1 Row in 'D' with knobs on top

Barlow

• Bad player, good talker apparently
  • Regular debater
  • Castagnari Lilly B/C Erica D/G
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 12:02:25 AM »

If the bass note isn't there then . . it isn't there. I have seen B/C player making gaps in the anticipated bass line an excellent part of the music, to the extent that the bass can sound almost random (but it most certainly isn't). 
Get away from the full on Oom Pah Oom Pah Oom Pah throughout a piece. That's for 80/120 bass piano accordion players, and also the huge majority of music in the Western world. Other than the most basic pieces, the button accordion is in a world of it's own when it comes to the bass.
. . .
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal