Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Repairers etc in the Yorkshire area>>>  (Read 4284 times)

Johnjo

• Regular debater
Repairers etc in the Yorkshire area>>>
« on: January 17, 2008, 02:37:27 PM »

Hi

Newbie here. I mostly play an anglo concertina, but have had a melodion about the place for donkey's years, and have recently picked up a Hohner Club IIb (???) which needs  tuning and a general service.

Can anyone recommend a tuner/repairer within easy driving distance of East Yorkshire? I was thinking of going over to the Music Room, near Bradford, but am I right in thinking that they just sell instruments and would send it off to someone else for them to do the work anyway?

Is there someone near Sheffield? (Rings a bell from somewhere).

Thanks

John

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: Repairers etc in the Yorkshire area>>>
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 03:05:43 PM »

Can anyone recommend a tuner/repairer within easy driving distance of East Yorkshire? I was thinking of going over to the Music Room, near Bradford, but am I right in thinking that they just sell instruments and would send it off to someone else for them to do the work anyway?
The Music Room have their own tuner/repairer who is local to West Yorkshire (I think). He's done tuning for me in the past and it has been fine.

However, without mentioning any names, there is someone else who is closely connected with this forum, who lives just a bit further away, but still on the same side of the country, and who might like to offer his services....  ;)

You might be thinking of Dave Elliott who lives near Sheffield. He is a concertina repairer and tuner and very knowledgeable too. He's a regular contributor to concertina.net. You can view his profile here:
http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showuser=162

Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Johnjo

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 04:03:23 PM »

Thanks Steve - Yes Dave Elliot must be the guy I've heard of.

Both Sheffield and Bradford are around an hour's drive from me, hence my thinking of the Music Room as a possibility. I'll give them a ring.

It's probably best to drive rather than try and post the Hohner over, it's a weighty beast when compared to an Anglo concertina.

Thanks again

John

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 04:34:23 PM »

Hi

Newbie here. I mostly play an anglo concertina, but have had a melodion about the place for donkey's years, and have recently picked up a Hohner Club IIb (???) which needs  tuning and a general service.

Thanks

John

Quite a few years ago, I used Paul Flannery, who lives in Cleckheaton. It's been a while, so he might have moved, but you could try 01274 876258. I don't know if he's the chap the Music Room uses or not, but I've been very happy with the work Paul's done for me.

Cheers,

Clive

C age ing

• Respected Sage
  • New fangled melodeon?
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 05:23:31 PM »

As it is a Club Hohner, only one guy to go to. You'll be in the car for a bit longer, but Theo probably knows more about the Club/Erika series than anyone in the country. Have a look at
www.theboxplace.co.uk
Very much worth it.
Old Bill.
My Erika is as old as me. Luckily, it is not as decrepit.

pipives

• Respected Sage
    • Pip Ives
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 06:50:51 PM »

Paul Flannery was working for the music room the last time I used them. His work seemed ok. But I've used Theo for the past two and a bit years (mainly as I'm very local to him), but also as his work is excellent!
Faversham, Kent
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal