Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for February 2020 - Farewell to Muirheads  (Read 3515 times)

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
Re: Tune of the Month for February 2020 - Farewell to Muirheads
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2020, 11:56:25 PM »

Nicely done, and so few uploads this month too, so an extra thanks.

Yep, agreed. Currently we're at 7 uploads for a tune that received 23 votes during the polling.
All the better to see/hear some people upload their efforts!

(I'll hang back this month. Just don't feel the tune.)

Graham Wood

• Regular debater
  • Old Fumble Fingers
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2020, 06:07:25 PM »

Thanks, Ransom and Graham. Good honest performances of that tune.

Thank you for your kind words. As there are so few uploads I took the liberty of taking my previous effort and adding guitar accompaniment to it. Same video but with guitar added. Not entirely sure whether it is an improvement because the box playing was all over the place which made it difficult to follow on guitar. Ah well, probably should have made a completely new video. Must try harder...lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjr_D8dP5bo

Graham Wood - Third Planet from The Sun
Hohner Morgane B/C,   Junior Martin 1 Row in 'D' with knobs on top,   Acadian 1 Row in 'C' with more knobs on top.

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2020, 08:52:11 PM »

Hooray for leap years.

Farewell to Muirhead
https://youtu.be/NWzr_n4Hqg4

So, I wasn't particularly inspired by this tune at first - although it would have been a good opportunity to break out my baritone ukulele again and figure out some finger picking, I'm a fan of what you did there btw, Graham - honestly I think the tune really calls for that kind of accompaniment.

As it's my plan for 2020 to try and not skip any months, I decided that the correct choice would be, given that the tune falls between a single octave of tonic-tonic, to explore playing the tune in a non-native key on the DG, and eventually gravitated towards A major for this tune. I figured out a two octave arrangement and some right hand side chords that I really quite enjoy playing, and give a lot more power to the melody, I think. My run at the tune derailed after fumbling the change into the B music of the last repeat, so, I had another stab at it and eventually got an acceptable result, so, tacked it on during the intermediary section I decided should be part of the tune.

Stops:
Thirds out
Low voice is toggled on after first repeat
Low Fundamentals on

Well, that was a fun adventure. This is the first time I've sort of... really focused on arranging and figuring out any chord problems with the box in my hands - typically I use an ABC editor to figure out what chords I want to play. I paired back adding the G# for most of the E chords because they sounded fine without it, plus, even get the above recording was pushing myself a bit - from hosing up my good run at it, I spent another 5 minutes just hammering away at this section to get through it without any big mistakes, and it's less perfect than I'd like. But, it's nice enough. I did think about a key change, I believe Graham said it went from F to Bb? Which would be ticking around by 1 flat, so, I'd be jumping from A to D? And what fun could D possibly be, so, I think if I'd been going to do it I would have kept a version in E major and tried to go to A major or something. Ultimately I like my low A octave too much, and it didn't seem to work as well to drop down as it did to jump up. Some of my 100 day of practice videos are about this tune - I've not forgotten about it I've just been sick with the flu, still, somehow.

Also, thank you, Anahata, for the ABC, I used your transcription as reference. I did actually end up thinking about borrowing an A435 Bb/Eb to try and play a 'slightly flat Bb' which would fall between A and Bb, just because the thought tickled me a bit.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2020, 10:10:08 PM »

Thanks everyone - the next tunes up, so off we go; as ever please paste late contribs on the end of this thread!

Matt (Kings Norton)

• Respected Sage
  • West Midlands, UK
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2020, 10:26:51 PM »

The night is young.

https://youtu.be/j6QwvbQxDls

Zero Sette Wilkinson Special BCC#

I think I’m playing in the same key as Ransom Smith’s recording but as it’s all on the row I think it’s in C major, not what I had in mind but perils of playing by ear.

Ransom

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2020, 04:27:37 PM »

Yes, I played in C. =)

Matt (Kings Norton)

• Respected Sage
  • West Midlands, UK
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2020, 04:52:10 PM »

Thanks, Very good it sounded too, I’m just no good at working out what key I’m in and I’ve learned a few tunes in ridiculous keys as a result.  (Nothing ridiculous about your choice here)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 05:30:32 PM by Matt (Kings Norton) »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal