Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme of the Month for February 2020: Rivers, Lakes, Seas, Water etc  (Read 9770 times)

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
Re: Theme of the Month for February 2020: Rivers, Lakes, Seas, Water etc
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2020, 03:12:44 PM »

This was a test video using not one but two new toys, firstly my beautiful new (old) Saltarelle Pastourelle, secondly a test for my new Surface Go inbuilt mic and camera. I think part of the reason I don't record stuff is the faff of setting up the webcam and H2 recorder with the laptop so I wanted to test what this little tablet could do with no auxiliary kit.

Sounds just fine to me, so if the recording of your Pastourelle sounds right to you, then, that should be sufficient. I'm almost always chasing personal satisfaction.

The video is actually very good - the clarity of that pattern behind you is by no means gaurenteed in a recording - I'm assuming you were lit by daylight? My only comment would be, you can see some duplication of occasional frames just past 2:05, and then recovers ~20 seconds later. You can see it if you watch on a PC, pause the video, and use , and . keys to move frame by frame. That might be caused by the computer being distracted by some other program, or, it could be being overwhelmed in some way by the recording.

This isn't a really big deal - however, I've had videos like this where, instead of duplicating the frames, some re-encoding software (eg my video editor & youtube) would skip those duplicates, so, the video would get ahead of the audio by a frame every time. This can lead to some pretty dire audio desync by the end of the video. Saving those videos is possible, but can be hard work and the results can be a little disappointing when it gets out of hand. So, I'd suggest keeping an eye on it.

Otherwise though, it's great, and it's nice to see+hear your playing, as well as the new (old) box.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2020, 03:59:17 PM »

Interesting to know those shortcuts, Gena, but I hope no-one ever watches mine that hard.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2020, 04:04:06 PM »

...This isn't a really big deal - however, I've had videos like this where, instead of duplicating the frames, some re-encoding software (eg my video editor & youtube) would skip those duplicates, so, the video would get ahead of the audio by a frame every time. This can lead to some pretty dire audio desync by the end of the video. Saving those videos is possible, but can be hard work and the results can be a little disappointing when it gets out of hand. So, I'd suggest keeping an eye on it.

Otherwise though, it's great, and it's nice to see+hear your playing, as well as the new (old) box.

Thanks Gena, I get this, I really do. It's just not really what I am looking for. I'd like to record more stuff because I find you can see and hear bits you want to change in your own playing that you would otherwise miss. For me the faff of getting the laptop, webcam and microphone together in the right room and then connecting them up, checking the sound and picture is *probably* one of the reasons I don't do it very often.

For stuff like this I think the Surface is great, I literally plonked it down on a side table wiggled it in it's stand to get the box in and my face out of the picture ('cos no one, no one needs to see that), pressed record... and that was it.  Quick trim of the bits of me looking gormless leaning forward to hit the button at start and end and that was it.

If I'd done the video and discovered a problem with duplication of frames or somesuch that bothered me I'd probably just a) do it again or b) not bother. Probably B if I'm honest. As a simple plonk-it-down-and-press-go sort of a solution it works for me.

Lovely old box isn't it?
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2020, 04:13:02 PM »

"my face out of the picture ('cos no one, no one needs to see that)"

I rather enjoy seeing the "Melodeon Face" of players on here, but on this one I was distracted by the flexing of the muscles in your forearm where it disappeared into your sleeve.
Lovely box and playing, by the way.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2020, 06:21:10 PM »

If I'd done the video and discovered a problem with duplication of frames or somesuch that bothered me I'd probably just a) do it again or b) not bother. Probably B if I'm honest. As a simple plonk-it-down-and-press-go sort of a solution it works for me.

Yeah, that's the thing for me - if the technology somehow lets you down and you flip from feeling good about a performance to feeling disappointed... It's very disheartening.

To be clear, I mentioned this thing as like a just in case. If it was my video, I would be happy. Plus, since you're already editing bits off of the video, it's unlikely anything will change. For me, it was adding in an extra editing step to remove the start+end that caused me to go from being fine, to having real problems, and, it seems you already have that step and it's all ok! So, it should be fine, but, I thought I'd point it out anyway.

Interesting to know those shortcuts, Gena, but I hope no-one ever watches mine that hard.

I'm not sure what it is, but vs say, my husband, I'm much more attuned to any kind of frame rate related discrepancies in TVs/movies/online videos etc - they really just jump out at me. I'm not sure how many people are as similarly attuned, but I know I'm not entirely alone.

What I'm effectively saying, though, is that I watch at all videos this hard.

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2020, 10:13:49 AM »

Here's a work in progress video of 'Banks of the Dee' that I've decided to shoehorn into this month's ThoTM - I've decided I need to push myself to record and share more stuff in the drive to play better.
I will aim to polish it up a bit and post again by the end of the month but in the meantime here's Banks of the Dee recorded during storm Dennis yesterday.

Nice - please do keep sharing.  :|||: (:) There's no way that's 'shoehorned' btw - I'd be happy to put something far more oblique in ThOTM (as I'm sure would Clive! ;))
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 10:17:33 AM by Mcgrooger »

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2020, 02:35:28 PM »

There's no way that's 'shoehorned' btw - I'd be happy to put something far more oblique in ThOTM (as I'm sure would Clive! ;))

Yes, I'd considered Banks of the Dee as a contribution this month without a moment's thought that it might be a good fit.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2020, 03:21:23 PM »

There's no way that's 'shoehorned' btw - I'd be happy to put something far more oblique in ThOTM (as I'm sure would Clive! ;))

Yes, I'd considered Banks of the Dee as a contribution this month without a moment's thought that it might be a good fit.

Ah yes, I considered it shoehorned it simply because it was not recorded for ThOTM, I was messing about with the tune, the box and the tablet PC and then realised I'd picked a recording that would fit with this month's theme - maybe just a happy accident.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

folkbluesnbeyond

• Respected Sage
    • Folkbluesnbeyond
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2020, 04:38:28 PM »

Lochanside:(Loch Loskin): 3/4 retreat air by John McLellan DCM , the background is online.

https://youtu.be/AtIbHM4SKeY

I may have heard Simon Haines play this tune and added it to the w.i.p. stack. Imperfect as ever but...what ever is?

All the best

Bill

Roman Simcik

• 2.5 row Firotti in C/F (Club) and Streb # 102
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2020, 01:43:45 AM »

Loch Tay Boat Song: https://youtu.be/LxLH17WhD2k

I've loved this song since I discovered it some 20 years ago. It was then sung by Asonance, a Czech group specialized in Irish & Scottish folk music, whose version was almost identical to the original one from Silly Wizard.

Not very fluid playing, and the sound is not great... but that's the best I can do with it this month.

Best,
Roman

Little Eggy

« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2020, 02:54:47 PM »

Ripple of the Teign - Bob Cann - "Proper Job"  The sleeve notes refer to the existence of a B part written by Katie Howson.
Anyone know where I can find it?   Played on my D/G Maestro.  Not yet fully in my fingers but it's a nice little tune to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZVLJrxoU7w

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2020, 02:59:09 PM »

I think you've been too humble about your playing, Little Eggy - this is really nicely done.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2020, 05:02:02 PM »

Ripple of the Teign - Bob Cann - "Proper Job"  The sleeve notes refer to the existence of a B part written by Katie Howson.
Anyone know where I can find it?
Why not ask Katie herself? She's a member here so you could send her a PM or use the contact information on her website here  ;)
https://katiehowson.co.uk/contact
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Little Eggy

« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2020, 07:23:06 PM »

Why not ask Katie herself? She's a member here so you could send her a PM or use the contact information on her website here  ;)

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will let you know how I get on....

Peadar

« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2020, 12:42:59 AM »

Loch Laomain - played on a  Wilkinson Excelsior C/C# (dated 1926), the recording is more a sound sample than anything else. Fettling like the tune is a work in progress. :D

https://youtu.be/hcvcMXFP1pY

Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2020, 07:47:49 PM »

I thought that it would be a pity not to make the most of our trip on the Nile last week. So I've turned into film producer/director/cameraman and sound engineer all in one go! As it's my very first attempt at doing something like this, I hope that you'll bear with me!

https://youtu.be/oeeoVxkHTRY

Ooh! Forgot! It's a variation of a tune for On the Banks of the Nile.

Sorry! I should warn you that it's VERY loud, in case you're using earphones or something.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 08:06:22 PM by Winston Smith »
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Peadar

« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2020, 10:23:31 PM »

I thought that it would be a pity not to make the most of our trip on the Nile last week. So I've turned into film producer/director/cameraman and sound engineer all in one go! As it's my very first attempt at doing something like this, I hope that you'll bear with me!

https://youtu.be/oeeoVxkHTRY

Ooh! Forgot! It's a variation of a tune for On the Banks of the Nile.

Sorry! I should warn you that it's VERY loud, in case you're using earphones or something.
Nicely done.

Little Eggy

« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2020, 03:57:46 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will let you know how I get on....

Katie Howson has kindly replied to a message about this.  Apparently whilst she wrote a B part Bob Cann did so as well and both versions are played. I’m buying her CD which includes the tune.  She also gave me feedback and advice on my version!  Thanks to Steve freereeder for suggesting I get in touch.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 04:23:03 PM by Little Eggy »

Peadar

« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2020, 10:31:32 PM »

Loch Tay Boat Song: https://youtu.be/LxLH17WhD2k

I've loved this song since I discovered it some 20 years ago. It was then sung by Asonance, a Czech group specialized in Irish & Scottish folk music, whose version was almost identical to the original one from Silly Wizard.

Not very fluid playing, and the sound is not great... but that's the best I can do with it this month.

Best,
Roman
A fine old Highland song- I enjoyed listening to your recording. The song predates Silly Wizard though. The melody was reportedly collected circa 1870 from the singing of a Mrs. Cameron at Ceann Loch Aileart. Unfortunately the original words are lost.

Sebastian

« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2020, 11:32:30 PM »

Wikipedia says:

"Pack die Badehose ein" (Pack your swimsuit") is a cheery tune about a group of children going swimming on a hot summer's day at Wannsee (lake in Berlin). The title of the song has become a set phrase and synonym for going swimming easily recognized even by speakers of German who have never heard of the song.

https://soundcloud.com/weltsauerstoff/pack-die-badehose-ein

Annoyingly the bass-cut filter was active during the recording.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal