Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: 100 Days of Practice  (Read 11820 times)

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
Re: 100 Days of Practice
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2020, 02:10:24 AM »

Day 10
https://youtu.be/9X3yT6wugoE
Thursday Night = Morris Night. We did a bit of teaching, a bit of going over existing dances, as is normal. One dance, Blue Jay, care of Bogarts Breakfast uses a tune - The Carpathian Tune - which is one of the few that uses an accidental in our dance repertoire. It was amongst the first tunes I learnt for morris because I thought it'd take me so long to get that I'd best start early. As a result, I learnt this tune on my original Scarlatti Nero, which is a fairly normal size 2v box. The B music for this tune opens with 3 bars of "Am" AB E AB E | "Em" GA E GA E | "Am" AB E A B |, and, as I struggled with the pull push pull, pull push pull pattern to put those off beat notes on the press, which would balancing the air usage a bit but still make the chords work, I would play all 3 bars fully on the draw and dump the air out on the following bar. At the time, that was perfectly viable. My next box, a black pearl 2, being a bit smaller, could just about do this too but would run close to my bellows limit. On my similarly sized, but 3v equipped, Oakwood, I would run up against my air limit fairly regularly, especially now that I'm now leading the band, also. Something had to change, and thankfully, something already did - me. I can now comfortably handle that previously vexing bellows pattern, it's just a case of actually remembering to do it and rewriting my memory of this tune to, so, this was an exercise of that.

Obviously, since I had a camera on me, I made a complete hash of the first part of the tune. Also, it's neat to see how massively different I look when I'm playing for morris vs sitting at home for all y'all.

Sorry about that sidetrack, Gena.
In my opinion, Origin of the World is never a side track! It's one of my favourite tunes to play, and one I'll play at the folk club. I'm interested to know more about playing it in Am, although I know it's only available to 2.5 rowers. I found playing it in Bm to be, I suppose, challenging at first and then also very informative. Definitely I would suggest learning some of your main arpeggios - just knowing where to find some of the notes and what I you might like to do with them has been beneficial to me for accompanying singing and just for enabling other similar musical shenanigans, I guess.

Wow Gena! This is some incredible leg work on modes, and stunning use of ABC - I've never seen or heard anything like it but it's really interesting. Thanks for this.
Also, I should actually say, thank you for these compliments, I appreciate them.

I'm also glad to be supporting this thread idea in some way, too, so, thank you, also, for proposing it.

Matt (Kings Norton)

• Respected Sage
  • West Midlands, UK
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2020, 10:21:31 PM »

Mel, your post got me working again, only 10 minutes a day and half an hour Saturdays and Sundays as that’s all I can find time for, but it’s made a lot of difference, I’m on about day 40 and just focused on some simple goals so thank you for the idea.  The focus does make a difference.

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2020, 02:01:02 AM »

Day 11
https://youtu.be/HY9c_JcCSqI
I figured out the alternative run up for Vals I Lekstugan that I pulled from my reference midi. The chords are a little bit 'pardon me can you say that again?', but I'm not sure what my alternatives are.

I'll have to Compare/Contrast with Day 8's version, at https://youtu.be/SSuDGM5FSp4?t=144

Also I had kinda a mixed bag in terms of achieving new things I wanted to. Probably just from extreme practice fatigue. I played liberty bell to chill out, which seems surreal in a way - one thing I have noticed is that, following my multi finger playing adventures with Fair Bolton and La Mal-Aimable, I've improved pinky playing accuracy my Liberty Bell arrangement's first D section.

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2020, 02:16:57 AM »

Day 12
https://youtu.be/Ckr0Fq8O-tU
Vals I Lekstugan is going fairly well, my fingers behaved mostly today.
So instead of more of that, here is my tune, 'The Mode Show', as referenced on day 9 - 8 tunes played back to back, ascending through the modes of the major scale. I always have trouble with the 2nd tune of the set, Moth Song, in particular the B section of it, so, I drilled it quite a bit today and then decided to just keep going - I had to wrap around to tack on the first tune of the sequence afterwards, so, there's a little bit of a tempo mismatch. It's such a long tune I edited out some gratuitous arpeggio attempts towards the end, also - that's the other part that tends to go wrong, but, I'm working having better fingering for both this section and Moth Song.

I'd like to get the piece more performance ready, since it's fun to share it with people, these two sections are the main sticking points, really. It's interesting to write at tune and discover what you find comfortable that you thought would be ridiculous, and very uncomfortable but you expected to be genuinely straight forwards.

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2020, 12:28:25 AM »

Day 13 (I'm sick apparently, so, I skipped yesterday)
https://youtu.be/TFXMr_HHLZI
Vals I Lekstugan begins to take proper shape, with (generally) improved accuracy in the low and high B music with an ending tacked in principal, and more fluency through the longer arpeggiated transitions. I still don't like the chords in the C music that I'm playing, but, referencing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m_R5_G7HhA the note progression seems closer to a guy closely related to the composer, although lowered by an octave from where it ought to be.

arty

« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2020, 09:23:39 AM »

I was really saddened earlier this morning, when I looked at Gena's latest practice video, to see that 4 people had viewed it and she had already collected 2 'thumbs down'.
Who are these people? What happened to 'if you have nothing constructive to say, say nothing at all.'

Keep it up Gena, I for one, really appreciate your videos and Mel's too. I practice every single night and it is good to be aware of others doing the same.

Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2020, 10:14:35 AM »

Me too, Arty. I now only link that type of video here and hide it from general viewing, but whilst that limits the trolling it does hurt that bit more when you know it comes from melnet.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2020, 05:41:55 PM »

Haha, yeah so, nearly every video I post on melnet (including unlisted ones such as these practice videos that can only be found via the links I'm posting here) since my August 2018 TotM submission will regularly receive between 1 and 4 dislikes. Only a few have been spared.

A few other people have noticed this trend on the videos I make, too. I can only assume that at least someone on this site dislikes specifically me at this point. Like I assume one or two people just cycle through a few google accounts to chain down vote, but, maybe I've got a little collective who follow my posting.

The thing is though, I guess in a way, I don't really mind? If someone wants, or needs, an outlet, I guess they're free to register their displeasure for my actions. Sure, I suppose I'd prefer they just tell me why they don't like me, or my videos, because hey maybe it could be constructive, but, presuming it's been the same person/people all this time, they haven't done so yet and they seem pretty convinced. And, I'd much rather they downvote me vs downvoting someone else (although, making this post may change their behaviour) because I know a) ultimately, that's not going to actually stop or discourage me, or make me change what I'm doing, and b) that it does genuinely effect some people - and why shouldn't it, if someone behind a nearby hedge went 'boo' every time after you played, it would get a bit off putting.

But, I have plenty of outlets, including here, that offer a large amount of positivity and encouragement, and I've been through some things in my life that have helped me better identify when I'm being true to myself, or doing a good thing - even if some people don't like it, think it's wrong, or think it shouldn't be allowed. Even if that other person is sometimes actually also me? I'm still working on challenging the part of myself that eg stops me from saying something nice because when I try, I feel can come off as clumsy, or shallow, especially if I can't say in excruciating detail why what I thought they did was good and how I, truly, understand what it is they were doing. Like, I posted a tune I wrote here and received some really positive comments, and I still needed a 2nd attempt to actually say 'thank you'. I can come across as a know-it-all, and at worst as someone-who-has-to-be-right - and have a history of just generally being acerbic, so, maybe someone just doesn't like me for that. And in some ways, I can't imagine this post really helps.

Plus, I've also thought about if I actually want to try to catch and identify them, too. So, if you're reading this, mystery downvoter/s: most people do think you're being a bit of a dick. And, continuously being a dick in a small social circle really can get you kicked out, eventually. You may feel safe because you don't think what you're doing is a big deal, or because you're able to hide your actions behind a veil of anonymity, or because people can't speak out about you - But that only works until someone can prove it's you that's doing it. Imagine what people would think if they found out you've been anonymously trying to make someone feel bad for a year and a half? Because I can tell you, that's exactly how people will interpret your actions.

Outing you doesn't help you, though, and in a way it also perpetuates a cycle of abuse. So, if you need someone to dump on for a while, you just carry on, but, I hope one day you'll recognise how what you're doing really only functions to try and hurt or bully people, and that's really not cool - there are better ways. You can always send me a message.

Anyway, I'm still sick, so, I think I'll be skipping today, too.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2020, 07:37:20 PM »

It also happens to me, Gena. (But probably 'cause of the way I play!)
It's a pity they don't have something else to do with their time and lives, poor buggers.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Kon

• Regular debater
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2020, 07:39:27 PM »

Hey Gena,

Take this post in lieu of a like/thumbs-up/upvote on your most recent post. I think it's a very mature and balanced response to a disappointing aspect of online interactions, and I really appreciate your openness about the challenges of being true to yourself and giving positive feedback.

I've just been lurking on this thread so far, but that made me come out of the woodwork. While I'm here, let me also say that your enthusiasm and dedication are inspiring, and even if I'm not actively participating it always cheers me up to see a new post.

Retreating back into the woodwork now,

Konrad
GC Erica

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2020, 08:31:46 PM »

Hey Gena. It's easy for me to say this but just ignore them. As Arty said 'if you have nothing constructive to say, say nothing at all.'

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2020, 09:07:41 PM »

I get a few dislikes nearly every time too. I read somewhere that they can be a side-effect of robot software designed to increase the exposure of certain videos by somehow gaming YouTube's inscrutable algorithms. I've no idea how that works.
I've also seen them go away sometimes. Maybe someone clicked the wrong button and then realized later...
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2020, 11:43:29 PM »

If you'll pardon the addendum - I can assure you that the accruement of youtube disapproval isn't going to change anything I do - it hasn't so far. Maybe I need to stress the whole, 'year and a half thing' more but, this has been going on for a year and a half. In that time, it's been noticed by others - a couple people have left comments on the videos, I think another post on melnet before or via a pm, I don't recall, but, certainly people have noticed and taken the time to ask about it, so, I thought I should probably mention it.

And before someone thinks 'oh, well, that's an awfully big post for someone who doesn't care', may I introduce you to: my posting history, haha.

So, as Anahata mentioned, I considered if for a while maybe this was something automated, or, bots crawling the website, or, whatever. Sooo, to be honest I've already kinda set up a few traps to assess how automated it might be - just the usual things, like checking it's this social group and not a subscriber to me (yes), check if it is any youtube video I post or just my own (just mine), observing how other people's videos receive these votes (TotM threads have generally few people achieve 1 or more thumbs downs, ~90% of all of my videos I've ever posted outside of this thread have received at least 1), see if a video I uploaded months before posting here suddenly gains downvotes the day I post it here (yes) - the usual things one might do. For me, I feel like I can illicit a human response, rather than a robotic one, so, I think it's prooobably a person/people - like it could be a bot but it sure seems like it's a bot that doesn't like me, y'know?

It's troubling for this community that something like this is happening, but, like for me, ultimately: lol. For real, I really hope someone did make a bot to target people they don't like and then downvote their youtube videos, because, oh boy wow, that would funny! Anyway, I'm interested to see what the future holds.

Thanks for the comments; stay cool, cool people. Also; go practice.

playandteach

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2020, 11:57:00 PM »

I've also noted that the people who downthumb don't tend to upload. I'd like to think I have a thick skin, and for some well intentioned comments - such as Arty not thinking I engaged with folk music, or even someone who said that one-row was too hard for someone of my skill set, I do. These folk had opinions, and tastes and that's fine, but I noticed that some members or maybe just one or two, would pounce eagerly to make sure I knew that my contributions were worthless. These simultaneously hurt more AND less. That's life. Gena, I don't fully get everything you say, but you say it with heart and application. Bravo (yes, I know it should be Brava, but I can't quite bring myself to say it).

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2020, 07:52:19 AM »

How do you know who gave you a downthumb, or that they don't upload?
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2020, 08:45:44 AM »

...I've also noted that the people who downthumb don't tend to upload...

I don't know about thumbs downs, but the negative comments that appear occasionally do seem to come from people who never post examples of their own playing.  and don't seem to have any intention of ever posting any.

Gena's attitude is impressively positive and her response strong, as is P&T's
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

arty

« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2020, 09:21:40 AM »

I too, have had several ‘thumbs down’ on my YT videos. At first it upset me, then I had a very strong feeling as to who it was, (very dangerous because I am quite likely to be wrong), then I found it funny and now I am pleased because at least I have been noticed. The worst thing of all, surely, is to be completely ignored!
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

playandteach

« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2020, 10:15:45 AM »

How do you know who gave you a downthumb, or that they don't upload?
You're right of course that I can't know for sure, but I had a bit of an issue with someone pouncing on my posts in threads too, seemingly hovering to kill a thread response. It's a danger to assume anything, and a danger to post as much as I do. I know it can seem that I might start to think my opinion carries weight because of the number of times I chip in. I just simply enjoy the community here, and it has become a habit to contribute - but I can see how it might look.

Anyway, I have been practising two on the row pieces, the Banks of Kale Water and Seven Stars, and it has been an interesting journey - experimenting with basics such as positioning the box and straps, fingering choices, and nice to leave the chords alone for a while. Curious too, how different the box can sound when it is leaning further away from you.
The bellows anchoring is, I'm sure a great tip, and also interesting is the different problems on different boxes with reed and valve response. I was thinking of playing both tunes on-the-row, then cross rowed (which I haven't actually been practising yet).
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 10:19:46 AM by playandteach »

Ellisteph

« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2020, 10:48:44 AM »

Day 13 (I'm sick apparently, so, I skipped yesterday)
https://youtu.be/TFXMr_HHLZI
Vals I Lekstugan begins to take proper shape, with (generally) improved accuracy in the low and high B music with an ending tacked in principal, and more fluency through the longer arpeggiated transitions. I still don't like the chords in the C music that I'm playing, but, referencing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m_R5_G7HhA the note progression seems closer to a guy closely related to the composer, although lowered by an octave from where it ought to be.
I think your progress by day 13 is remarkable; you'll only get a thumbs up from me (and you have). Thanks for sharing this project with us and hope you feel better soon.
Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F

arty

« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2020, 12:46:43 PM »

I'd like to think I have a thick skin, and for some well intentioned comments - such as Arty not thinking I engaged with folk music, or

Pete, that is a complete misinterpretation of what I said.....

In fact, if you go back to that conversation, as I have just done, you will see that I was actually paying you a huge compliment!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal