Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: 100 Days of Practice  (Read 11814 times)

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
Re: 100 Days of Practice
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2020, 09:25:33 PM »

Risking thread drift, this popped up in my YouTube bin today.  Hope posting the link is acceptable.

Practice

https://youtu.be/f2O6mQkFiiw
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2020, 09:26:38 PM »

Here's the Banks of Kale Water on the D row- also linked to in the one row thread.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

playandteach

« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2020, 09:33:08 PM »

Pete, your treble cabinet is noticeably much more stable in the cross-row passages. Would you enjoy on-the-row playing more if there were less, er, wobble?
You're right of course. I sat in my usual cross row position, though I had been practising in a variety of positions. I think for the bracing of the melodeon on the crossed leg I'd need to work out a different strap length, and didn't want to adjust between takes. Can you in fact, stop the movement of the treble end without bracing it on a leg? My cabinet has always flipped like that with all pieces, but of course as it happens only on the bellows change, that's much less with cross rowing. What's your solution? (might be of course that a straighter bellows movement can avoid the wobble).

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2020, 09:43:33 PM »

Whilst I know people like multi straps and thigh bracing etc I will just leave this here as food for thought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj1CtZ022rU

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2020, 10:02:48 PM »

Lots of food for thought posted by Lester while I was writing this.

However... Yes, I rest the treble cabinet on my left thigh and use a single strap. And, following a tip from Sabin Jacques when I was just starting, I keep the front bottom edge of the bellows pretty well closed most of the time, and push my left hand forward, creating a convex curve of the bellows as you look down on the instrument.

This also creates a sort of line of force running diagonally through the instrument between the left hand and right thumb, nicely illustrated in a sketch that Howard (?) posted in a thread started by Daddy Long Les a few years back that I can't seem to find now.

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2020, 10:09:40 PM »

Here's the Banks of Kale Water on the D row- also linked to in the one row thread.

Looks like you're going to really enjoy the one-row.  If I may make a fingering suggestion:

Instead of a strict "4 fingers for 4buttons", try dropping a finger on the way down and "crab" it to move your overall position on the fly rather than making a quantum shift.  Here's all I have for notation for the first 8 beats, no pick-up. 
 I index M middle R ring P pinkie

ll d/f#d ll
...R/PR...

ll c#/ec# ll
...R/PR...

ll b/db ll
...M/PR...

ll af#df# ll
...RMIM...

You may find that maintaining contact with the keyboard and avoiding "jumpy" shifts will help with steadying the box as well.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 10:53:31 PM by Dick Rees »
...Thelonius Monk

...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

playandteach

« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2020, 10:16:28 PM »

However... Yes, I rest the treble cabinet on my left thigh and use a single strap. And, following a tip from Sabin Jacques when I was just starting, I keep the front bottom edge of the bellows pretty well closed most of the time, and push my left hand forward, creating a convex curve of the bellows as you look down on the instrument.
I can see that Lester's round the arm thing works, and your bellows anchored thing works. But for me resting it on my left leg (without thigh) doesn't help, it's just the keeping the bellows shut at that corner that makes it work. Still experimenting. Tried Chris Brimley's 1.5 straps, could not get that going for me, but maybe it's a strap length thing.

playandteach

« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2020, 10:20:56 PM »

Thanks, Dick.
I've actually tried several fingering options, including only using 2 fingers - which works surprisingly well. There was just a limit to how many recordings to do tonight. It's good to find new problems.

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2020, 11:24:02 PM »

Thanks, Dick.
I've actually tried several fingering options, including only using 2 fingers - which works surprisingly well. There was just a limit to how many recordings to do tonight. It's good to find new problems.

Here's a more standard notation.  Took a while for the new file size to download
...Thelonius Monk

...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

arty

« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2020, 08:23:02 AM »

Pete, your treble cabinet is noticeably much more stable in the cross-row passages. Would you enjoy on-the-row playing more if there were less, er, wobble?
You're right of course. I sat in my usual cross row position, though I had been practising in a variety of positions. I think for the bracing of the melodeon on the crossed leg I'd need to work out a different strap length, and didn't want to adjust between takes. Can you in fact, stop the movement of the treble end without bracing it on a leg? My cabinet has always flipped like that with all pieces, but of course as it happens only on the bellows change, that's much less with cross rowing. What's your solution? (might be of course that a straighter bellows movement can avoid the wobble).

I had exactly the same problem of the treble cabinet swinging about until it was pointed out that my straps were badly adjusted. To be fair, they weren’t ‘adjusted’ at all, they had merely been put in a position where the box felt comfortable, when I first started and that’s where they had remained. Until, of course, a few years later and I was starting to learn faster and more rhythmic music, the problem started to show itself.
Completely by chance, Yann-Fanch Perroches put up a post about fixing problems, on a French site that I am a member of and that sorted me out. Only then did I realise how it had been slowing my progress.
Unfortunately, all the advice is written in French but you could copy and paste each paragraph into Google translate, which does help a lot if you are not French speaking.
Here is the link: http://accordiato.fr/tenue.html#bretelles

If you follow his advice on the adjustment of the straps, I think you will find it makes a massive difference. And you may have to adjust your straps, say in the summer when you might be wearing a T-shirt, compared to the winter when you are in a thick sweater or a body warmer.
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

playandteach

« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2020, 08:53:15 AM »

That's interesting, Arty. I've always thought my strap adjustment was good but I'll check that site out. My French might be ok enough.
I was on the verge of posting a question about strap mount location and was wondering whether to post a separate thread on construction but actually playing around with this is part of my current practice.
The question is: the box is secured well against my torso but that leaves the front of the box free to waggle. What are the implications of repositioning the mounts to the middle or front of the box?

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2020, 09:14:10 AM »

Check your suspenders in the mirror Pete :)

If your strap mounts are the same as YF's then it would suggest that getting a good fit with the suspenders is all that's needed.

Edit:
I do wish that the well meaning tutors would stop showing the wrong way to do things!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 09:17:33 AM by xgx »
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2020, 10:09:36 AM »

I do wish that the well meaning tutors would stop showing the wrong way to do things!
There are no wrong ways,  just different ways which may not suit you

Little Eggy

« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2020, 10:18:48 AM »

Horses for courses.  Ed Rennie on keeping the bellows barely open at all times versus the French guy practising with wide open bellows!  It’s an interesting video, though with a lot of useful advice.  Thanks for posting.  I have a fair bit of French but you don’t really need to know the lingo because there are little videos which give the advice clearly.

xgx

« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2020, 10:22:38 AM »

Wrong!
It's not about the right or wrong way per se...  the simple fact is, that when teaching, the student will, sure as x are x, remember the 'Don't do it this way' ....
Graham

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2020, 10:42:41 AM »

Wrong!
It's not about the right or wrong way per se...  the simple fact is, that when teaching, the student will, sure as x are x, remember the 'Don't do it this way' ....

I do take exception with this. People who know me and have been in my workshops and lessons will hopefully think of me as a 'well meaning tutor'. (If not, then I have failed somewhere along the line :().

One thing I will never do is to proscribe any way of doing something because I think it is 'wrong'. We are all individuals and what works for one person may not work for another, for very good reasons. Lester has succinctly written: 'There are no wrong ways, just different ways which may not suit you', which I totally agree with. In my workshops I always say 'there are no rules; find what works best for you and do it that way'.

I think all the tutors whom I know personally are also 'well meaning' and will have the same opinion.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

arty

« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2020, 10:46:31 AM »

Horses for courses.  Ed Rennie on keeping the bellows barely open at all times versus the French guy practising with wide open bellows!  It’s an interesting video, though with a lot of useful advice.  Thanks for posting.  I have a fair bit of French but you don’t really need to know the lingo because there are little videos which give the advice clearly.

Obviously you don’t have enough French to understand that ‘the French guy’ is not practicing with wide open bellows, he is showing how to make new bellows more supple and also, to keep older bellows supple, which are normally not opened very much, in the course of play.

Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

xgx

« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2020, 10:56:12 AM »

Wrong!

I do take exception with this. People who know me and have been in my workshops and lessons will hopefully think of me as a 'well meaning tutor'. (If not, then I have failed somewhere along the line :().

One thing I will never do is to proscribe any way of doing something because I think it is 'wrong'. We are all individuals and what works for one person may not work for another, for very good reasons. Lester has succinctly written: 'There are no wrong ways, just different ways which may not suit you', which I totally agree with. In my workshops I always say 'there are no rules; find what works best for you and do it that way'.

I think all the tutors whom I know personally are also 'well meaning' and will have the same opinion.

It's really simple, it's NOT about whether a method/technique is right or wrong!  Please re-read.

Steve  I don't recall any of your workshops that I've attended where you've used 'This is the wrong way to do it' in preference to 'This is the way to do it'. 

Graham

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2020, 10:59:46 AM »

Unfortunately, all the advice is written in French but you could copy and paste each paragraph into Google translate, which does help a lot if you are not French speaking.
Here is the link: http://accordiato.fr/tenue.html#bretelles

There is of course no right or wrong way to use Google translate, but it's a lot easier to paste the entire URL into Google translate. You'll soon arrive at: https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Faccordiato.fr%2Ftenue.html

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2020, 11:14:29 AM »

<diversion>The strangest examples of this that I have come across are on the CD that accompanies Gilles Poutoux' book. He very solemnly demonstrates four (IIRC) "incorrect but frequently heard" ways of playing each tune type he discusses (e.g. reel, jig, hornpipe) before showing a more correct way. The most interesting thing to me is that he can, on demand, actually play tunes in four different wrong ways (e.g. evenly with no accents, evenly with accents on the wrong beat, unevenly with no accents, etc.). Impressive, amusing (which I don't think is the intended effect), but decidedly weird! </diversion>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal