Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keith, Prowse & Co. Concertina  (Read 1619 times)

Tony Peri

• REEDWORKS
  • Professional Accordion Tuner/Repairer
    • Accordion Tuning & Repairs | Castagnari Accordions in Australia
Keith, Prowse & Co. Concertina
« on: February 05, 2020, 11:03:17 AM »

Hello,
I have just taken hold of a Keith, Prowse & Co. Concertina from a deceased estate. Serial number 6279.

It says;
Keith, Prowse & Co.
Manufacturers.
48. Cheapside.
London.

Does anyone have a rough date of manufacture. When I saw it I thought, hmmm, that looks like a 19th Century concertina. But then I saw it had an allen key and bolts in the ends. So maybe its the Ikea version?  Or a pre-Ikea production model...  ;D

Its in pretty fine condition. It has been repaired and done up by at least two previous repairers as I also have the repair worksheets from 1998 and other info that came with it.

Depending on its age and value will determine if I restore it back and service the valves. Or else will sell it as is.

Thanks folks,
Tony
Accordion Repairs, Tuning | Castagnari Accordions in Australia

Hohner Morino C/F Club N; Scandalli C/F & Various 2 row Hohners.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: Keith, Prowse & Co. Concertina
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 11:39:12 AM »

You might do better asking over at Concertina.net:
https://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Rob Lands

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 11:43:05 AM »

An internet search on the address yields
"According to the New Langwill Index, Keith, Prowse & Co was a company of music sellers, publishers, musical instrument makers and dealers, flourishing in London from around 1830 to a surprisingly late 1950.  The first thing to note is the comma - it wasn't a Mr. Keith Prowse, but a partnership between Robert William Keith (1767-1846) and William Prowse (1801-1886)."

Rob Lands

• Regular debater
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 11:46:23 AM »

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 12:33:09 PM »

Keith, Prowse & Co. were a London musical instrument dealer who, I understand, had instruments of many types commissioned from various makers, and despite their claim to be "manufacturers", it seems unlikely that Mr Keith or Mr Prowse ever manufactured concertinas. The few that I have seen in Australia have been re-badged Lachenal instruments, plus one very obvious Wheatstone. Other makers would also have likely supplied to them. The number could have been a KP & Co one added, or an original number from which ever maker, so hard to date. Perhaps the term "mid-Victorian" would be my cop-out date description  ;D.

Some years back (1980s???) there was a repairer active in Sydney who's name I can't recall; he made his own Allen key end bolts for concertinas he restored. Quite likely that this was one of his restorations, and may indeed have also spent time in my workshop at some point.

Tony, as others have suggested, your query might be better addressed to members of https://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?act=idx, though there are subscribers to this site equally knowledgeable about concertinas as well as melodeons.

Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Tony Peri

• REEDWORKS
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 08:01:26 PM »

Tony Peri

• REEDWORKS
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 08:06:55 PM »

Some years back (1980s???) there was a repairer active in Sydney who's name I can't recall; he made his own Allen key end bolts for concertinas he restored. Quite likely that this was one of his restorations,

Hello Malcolm,
That repairer was Richard Evans from Bell, NSW perhaps?
F.W. Malburn from Macclesfield, UK also has worked on it.

Malcolm Clapp

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 12:06:23 AM »

Some years back (1980s???) there was a repairer active in Sydney who's name I can't recall; he made his own Allen key end bolts for concertinas he restored. Quite likely that this was one of his restorations,

Hello Malcolm,
That repairer was Richard Evans from Bell, NSW perhaps?

Hi, Tony, no, it wasn't Richard. This fellow I'm thinking of later went off to live in Switzerland iirc. Played English concertina rather well.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 12:08:54 AM by Malcolm Clapp »
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Malcolm Clapp

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2020, 12:30:43 AM »

F.W. Malburn from Macclesfield, UK also has worked on it.

That would have been a while ago....

"Frederick William  Malburn  (1846-1911—Macclesfield,  Cheshire) was brazenly billed  as  "Professor  Fred.  Malburn,  The  Greatest  Concertinist  in  the  World."  He  was  a  music  teacher,  writer,  and  performer  on  concertina  and  musical  instruments  of  his  own  invention.  Mr.  Malburn's  instrument  is  the  concertina,  which  he  commenced  to  play  when  only  nine  years  of  age, and  this  instrument  he  has  perfected  by  inventing  four  instruments  of  a  similar  style  [.  .  .]   named  the ventrilophone  [.  .  .]  the  giant  concertina  [.  .  .]  the  midget  concertina  (smallest  known);  and  the  Malburn  orchestraphone" (From PICA 2012)

Almost certainly the same person...so a bit of history in your hands, Tony.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 12:46:11 AM by Malcolm Clapp »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal