Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Galician music in melodeon  (Read 1102 times)

felix castro

Galician music in melodeon
« on: February 13, 2020, 03:30:00 PM »

Hello, I shall post several posts about galician and asturian melodeon players.

Here I attach the link of a video recording of myself playing the melodeon, with my brother Cástor playing the flute, and Álvaro Iglesias the double bass, and Xosé Liz the bouzuki.

It is a mazurka composed by my brother and me, O cachoupiño.
 Mazurkas, polkas, etc. were common in Galicia and Spanish traditional music.

We recorded another video of a piruxalda (2/4 tune)   and a muiñeira (6/8 tune) playing with concertina instead of melodeon. I suppose that it isn't the place for submitting it. If somebody wants the link, I can send it by private message.

It is a new group that we formed one year and a half ago, called Tor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pHuLkFF-NA

The melodeon is a saltarelle bb/eb , two rows and a half, LMM.

The sound is much better with headphones as the double bass is better heard.

I hope you enjoy it.

All the best

Félix Castroa

Matthew B

Re: Galician music in melodeon
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 03:45:30 PM »

That's a great tune Felix!  I'd encourage you to post the concertina tune as well -- there are many concertina players on this site.  I'd be interested to see how you've adapted the concertina to your music.
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

Simon M.

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 04:39:53 PM »

Great music.
Thanks for posting it.

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 04:43:11 PM »

Really enjoyed that! Many thanks for sharing it.

Julian
Old Bones Dance Band

gm0lze

• Good talker
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 05:22:51 PM »

Great tune.Is the sheet music or abc,s available anywhere?Thank You.

felix castro

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 04:48:20 PM »

Thankyou very much for all your comments.

I haven't made sheet or abc notation as I play all the music mainly by ear.

I only write down the chords, etc. that I do in the left hand. But I can try to write it. 

Then I shall include then the link to the concertina tune too.

Félix

felix castro

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 04:53:32 PM »

Here I atach the link of a video recording of myself playing the concertina, with my brother Cástor playing the flute, and Álvaro Iglesias the double bass, and Xosé Liz the bouzuki.

It is a piruxalda, a 2/4 tune similar to the asturian xiringuelu, saltón, and the vasconian purruxalda, and a 6/8 muiñeira. The muiñeiras are very common in galician and asturian music.

https://youtu.be/B9k0Mjd38qY

Félix

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 09:16:07 PM »

Felix...

I am a long-time subscriber to your YouTube channel and have enjoyed Galician music for many decades...particularly the pipes.  Thanks for posting and keep up the good work.
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 10:59:59 PM »

That's really not what I expected at all: for some reason I was expecting highly driven tunes, and these are sweet and turn lovely corners.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 11:06:39 PM »

Love that. Full of joy. Would have liked if if the bass was a bit further forward in mix, otherwise...perfect
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2020, 12:09:53 AM »

Love that. Full of joy. Would have liked if if the bass was a bit further forward in mix, otherwise...perfect

Try listening on some good headphones.  As both a bass player and broadcast engineer, I find the mix up to snuff.
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2020, 10:03:32 PM »

Thanks Felix. My own treasured memories are of eating a steak the size of a book at Ortigueira festival, and then being invited to join the pipers in the restaurant back room - they’d spotted my melodeon by the table - absolutely crazy session in C

Can also offer my daughter Thea May jamming with Galician piper Manu Panforreteito at UK Bagpipe Soc blowout, back in 2011 https://youtu.be/6Dl0fplnmRk

In both cases … mostly improvised. Galician music is just GREAT!  Wonderfully alive! Get there.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 10:13:00 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

LoonBox

• Good talker
  • Minneapolis Minnesota 🇺🇸
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2020, 10:56:24 PM »

Félix I really like your music and the mazurca you made with your brother.  seeing you post here inspired me to have a go at it.

https://youtu.be/PxcAkuhd_8U
My grandfather's 1930s GC Hohner Burlwood. AD Hohner Presswood. DG Pokerwork with 4th button start. CF Preciosa- 4th button and doubled fifths. Bunch of project boxes and an in progress tuning bench. Also fiddles.

felix castro

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2020, 11:31:29 AM »

Sorry for the delay in answering, carnival in Galicia is the most important feast of the year...
Thank you for all your comments.
As many galician traditional musicians I am mainly a piper, that after began playing other instruments... The reason is because the traditional music revival was based strongly in bagpiping and the bagpipes tradicional groups.
The accordion was the main competitor to the pipes. For example, in northern portugal, Minho region, neighbor of Galicia, there were also a piping tradition, but it was eclipsed by the concertina, the typical melodeon from this region, it is tuned for example in G/C/F and with the "club" button in the C row. (They play with concertinas in all the keys imaginable).
My brother and I have recorded many old musicians from our province mainly.
There were almost many different styles of playing, as they learned by ear and from nearer musicians, today young pipers play many of them with a very standard style. Also there are tunes of all styles, quick and slow.
If some body want more information about that I can send him privately.

felix castro

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2020, 12:09:35 PM »

Nice singing and playing Chris, it is a secret but I have never been in the Ortigueira Festival, nowadays is a multitudinary festival, with too many people, in my opinion.
Thankyou you to Loon box for playing our tune. I realized that I have the tune in staff some where, I shall put it here soon. The chords that I do I can write down them too.
About my aproaching with the concertina is mainly of a melodic, across the row style, as it was the first style that I heard from irish musicians, etc. After that I realized the enormous possibilities of the instrument listening to John Kirkpatrick, other english musicians, boer music, etc. but by now it is my main style of playing.
I bought from Theo a G/D Lachenal some years ago for exploring that style, but I play usually in other keys.
I have also the excelent book of Gary Coover, but as I play mainly by ear, I am very lazy reading music and I don't know the tunes that are in the book I only play some of them  (:)
Several months ago I bought from Theo the pariselle one row melodeon in B flat. And I am enjoying now the playing of such instrument, as in it you can't rack your brain searching fingering possibilities, etc. only just play it.

felix castro

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2020, 12:12:26 PM »

In this video I play the pariselle melodeon in galician television two months ago with my twin brother Castor, his wife soco, Jose playing drums and the famouse galician bagpipger faustino luis seoane from O Canizo - Ourense. He is 95 years old and he was recorded by the american ethnomusicologist Alan Lomax in 1952. Here we play a chotis and a mazurka, tunes that were common also in Galicia and Spain in the XIXth century and the beginnings of the XXth century.
We play here in a more traditional way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doSbUScjZy0

Félix
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal