Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm the proud owner of a CBA  (Read 1432 times)

Simon M.

I'm the proud owner of a CBA
« on: February 13, 2020, 04:34:52 PM »

Hi Folks,
Haven't been around here too long, but I am under the impression that you folks are pleasant are tolerable even of a pesty foreigner like me, so here I start my rambling.
I am a PA player for the last 40+  years. I've also fiddled with Yamaha arranger keyboards for a couple of years, but have given that up about 15 years ago. I don't read notes, didn't take any music lessons and play only by ear.

I owned a Welmeister LMMH decent accordion for thirty years, but happily that got water damaged after we moved.

I say happily, because for the last 2-3 years, I thought that I lost my touch (or my hearing). When I hit a wrong chord with the left hand, I had a very hard time figuring out where I am and how to correct it. When the accordion got damaged, I took it apart and found that after 30 years that I owned it, some of the reed blocks had fallen off. That explained why I didn't "hear" where I was.

I bought another professional accordion that needed (and still needs) some work. It weighs a ton, but I am quite happy with it. It is a  LMMM IORA,  with a beautiful MUSSETE sound and has a good mic pickup on the right side.

I play mostly for family affairs and have a couple of my sons play with me. They play the guitar and organ.

One of my difficulties is playing on the "OFF" keys that they sometimes choose. I figures that the solution fro that would be to buy a Roland accordion, that can easily be transposed. Professionals warned me to stay away from the Roland, so I wanted to buy a simple cheap one (FR-1)  to see if it's worth the effort.

I found a cheap Chromatic Button model on E-Bay and went ahead and bought it. Since I bought it, I am watching You-tube videos of CBA players, and downloaded a CBA app on my tablet. I practiced on the Tablet for about 50-80 hours, and when the instrument came, I was able to play simple tunes almost without mistakes right away.
It is an electronic instrument, to it takes some hours of reading and trial and error to understand how to change the sounds and various parameters, but all in all I consider this purchase a successful one.
I have/had a few questions about how to go ahead, but I'll leave that for a different time.
Sincerely,
Simon M.

Tiposx

• Durham in England
  • Respected Sage
Re: I'm the proud owner of a CBA
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 05:26:39 PM »

Hi Simon
The CBA discussions are probably more an accordionist forum thing. They have a section on electronic accordions and often discuss Roland CBA.
I quite like the idea of an fr-1b myself. They seem to have a good reputation judging from the forum.
I am not trying to put you off from posting on here or anywhere else though!

https://www.accordionists.info/index.php
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 05:31:43 PM by Tiposx »

Corinto

• Regular debater
  • Spain/Brasil/Belgium
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 06:15:11 PM »

Hi Simon,

As a chromatic accordion (beginner) player myself, I feel there is a lot to learn here on this diatonic site. Of course, the other site also has lots of information. Maybe I will get a diatonic, some day, maybe. I've learned a lot here, and at least one accordion (chromatic) I bought here also.
Carpe diem, C.

mudchutney

• Mudchutney
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 10:17:50 AM »

50 - 80 hours on a tablet before your CBA even arrived - wow, that's dedication!
Don't suppose you'd care to share a vid of your progress?
Player of a Saltarelle Bourroche 5 row CBA
Purveyor of folky themed clothing at www.mudchutney.co.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal