Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with an old Hohner  (Read 337 times)

David Griffiths

• New Starter
Help with an old Hohner
« on: February 08, 2020, 06:53:25 PM »

Hello to all.
I just took over an old 2-row Hohner, which deserves to be brought back to life. In fact it looks quite similar to a one-row machine portrayed as the very first Hohner (http://accordion-museum.com/en/accordions/de/hohner) so it may be quite old. If anyone can help with model, age etc, I am very grateful. But even more so, if anyone can help by telling me where I might get hold of buttons and mechanisms, I am much more grateful. The buttons look to be celluloid or similar, or if wood, then highly polished boxwood perhaps. Of interest is the 6 x 2 bass  rows on a simple two row instrument. There is no serial number I have found, the only marking being G C for the tuning. The bellows has an attractive black and white small square pattern, which is somewhat visible on the photo called "metalwork". It's a bit scraped up around the corners, with some corners covered and some not, and is thin cardboard. The bellows has loosened from the right hand side. The melodeon is 29cm high x 15.3cm deep. So there we have it. Very grateful for any help.
All the best,
Dave
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 08:18:18 PM by David Griffiths »
Older style Castagnari Hascy D-G

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
Re: Help with an old Hohner
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 07:34:12 PM »

A rare beast indeed, and a labour of love to restore it, but well worth doing in my opinion. Re the buttons, they look to me like some type of bone.

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : Hagstrom G/C: Hohner 3515 C/F: 1930's Varnished wood G/C: Hohner 2915 B/E: Hohner Erika C/F: Hohner Pre Corso C/F : G/C Liliput: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 09:08:57 PM »

Yes bone, or possibly horn buttons.
As for sources of spare parts, you have a very limited choice.  Either find a similar old accordion that you can use as a parts source,  or make your own.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

David Griffiths

• New Starter
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 10:01:48 PM »

Thank-you to John and Theo for the help. Handily I work at a large animal care facility where both bone and horn are in good supply, so I'll turn some buttons of each to see the result.
Older style Castagnari Hascy D-G

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 11:00:45 PM »

That’s a great idea. You will very likely have to stain new buttons if you wish to match the colour of the old ones.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Stockaryd

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 10:12:53 AM »

Old spareparts          http://www.notexpo.se/436262855

"Knapp" means   button
Hohner Corso, Hohner Erica, Emmanuel Pariselle, Gessner,   Koch,   Mariotti,    "China  NoName",   4 Toy,     -and now some more
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal