Discussions > Teaching and Learning

What tune are you learning.

(1/15) > >>

Squeaky Pete:
Not wishing to add my sporadic practice session to the 100 days thread, I thought I'd ask here.
As I said, I don't really do exercises but learning a tune with particular difficulties is quite challenging.
My Pariselle box has interesting reversals and the two extra bass buttons but I've not really explored how to take advantage yet. However I've found the sheet music for an interesting musette waltz (called musette waltz). It has chords marked and some indication of bass runs so I'm giving it a go.
It's driving me a bit mad but parts are making sense and the tricky bass does mostly follow the bellows direction of the accidentals.
I certainly don't think this warrants a soul baring video as I mull through it, but I'll post if starts to sound sensible.

Question is are you learning something for a similar reason, or just learning tunes you like?

Lester:
I only learn tunes I like or are required by by band/morris side, can't think of any other reason to learn a tune. Mind you sometimes I set off and learn a tune I love and end up hating it because of the effort.

playandteach:

--- Quote from: Squeaky Pete on February 14, 2020, 09:31:41 PM ---Not wishing to add my sporadic practice session to the 100 days thread, I thought I'd ask here.
As I said, I don't really do exercises but learning a tune with particular difficulties is quite challenging.
My Pariselle box has interesting reversals and the two extra bass buttons but I've not really explored how to take advantage yet. However I've found the sheet music for an interesting musette waltz (called musette waltz). It has chords marked and some indication of bass runs so I'm giving it a go.
It's driving me a bit mad but parts are making sense and the tricky bass does mostly follow the bellows direction of the accidentals.
I certainly don't think this warrants a soul baring video as I mull through it, but I'll post if starts to sound sensible.

Question is are you learning something for a similar reason, or just learning tunes you like?

--- End quote ---
Is that the tune from La Boheme? And therefore also hinted at in RENT - great show?
I'm sticking with one row stuff at the moment, but haven't given up on learning some Baroque recorder stuff, should I ever get a 3 row.

Tone Dumb Greg:
I'm working on Dave Shepherd's definitive setting of William Taylor's and Squeezy's setting of Sportsmsan's Hornpipes, because a friend wants to play the tunes and those are my favourite settings. These are pretty much consolidated and I'm working on making them fluent and firmly fixed in my mind and fingers. This is definitely going to run.

I am learning a children's song with a Gdor A part and a Gmaj B part, because I think it will make a good tune for a dance. The version I am working on is actually a Punk version. That's border morris for you. It is something of a challenge. There is a fair way to go. This is definitely going to be a runner, although it may have a short life.

I am working on this month's TOTM, I haven't worked out where it's going to go yet.
I am working on this month's Theme OTM. I haven't plumped on which one I am going for.
I am prepared to skip these if I can't get a resolution. I would prefer to do something, though.

FWIW
I don't practice exercises, such as scales.
I practice twiddles and things if I want to use them in something, but I like to keep things fairly simple, as a rule.

When stuff I am working on is starting to come together, I  record it, to hear what it really sounds like, rather than what my rose tinted ears think it sounds like.

If a tune comes to mind I tend to play it just for me.

I allocate about an hour a day.

Don't know if this is what is meant by practice. It's just learning stuff and playing for pleasure.

Graham Wood:
I'm working on Farewell to Muirheads which is the current Tune of The Month. I'm trying to work it like the composers original so the key changes half way through. The original key change is F to Bb. My attempt will be D to G on a B/C box.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version