Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can I add the Key field when printing in ABC Explorer?  (Read 808 times)

Howard Jones

How can I add the Key field when printing in ABC Explorer?
« on: February 16, 2020, 12:16:08 PM »

I would like to be able to add the key (as indicated in the K: field) when printing a tune, especially when using modal key signatures can be confusing at first glance.  For example, 1 sharp usually indicates G major or E minor, but it can also mean a modal scale, for example A Dorian. I know I should be able to work it out from the tune itself, but I am not sufficiently musically literate to do that quickly (I usually rely on the shape of the tune to prompt me rather than look at the notes themselves).  A note in the title block would be a quick reminder that the key signature may not be what it seems.

I am aware that abcm2ps parameters can be used to control printing formats but I can't figure out how to do this.

I generally use ABC Explorer.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: How can I add the Key field when printing in ABC Explorer?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 12:24:23 PM »

How about adding it as a C: field?
X:1
T:Nellie the Elephant
C:Original tune and words Ralph Butler & Peter Hart, 1956
C:A part Gdorian. B part Gmajor
K:Gdor
M:6/8
L:1/8
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Howard Jones

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 01:16:00 PM »

That's how I'm currently fudging it.  However that means adding it twice, I'd prefer to take it from the K: field if that's possible.

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 02:28:25 PM »

I don't believe this is possible at this time, it does not appear to be an option in the programs abcm2ps or abc2svg, which are responsible for rendering your abc code as a score.

You could alternatively write your text on a new line after all your K fields as "_A minor" or "^A minor" to put it below or above the stave, or, you could use %%text A minor to add it in a roughly similar manner as the part name.

It should be possible to have a computer add & remove lines of text in the above style with a find/replace approach with a more powerful text editor, though, so, you might not have to have to actually manually do it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal