Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: B/C Melodeon  (Read 10765 times)

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Re: B/C Melodeon
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2020, 01:01:46 PM »

I've been following this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBZVZ53CMso

By the way, in case it hasn't struck you yet, the second tune is a highly simplified version of Gordon Duncan's celebrated reel The Clumsy Lover!

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2020, 01:47:58 PM »

I've been following this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBZVZ53CMso

By the way, in case it hasn't struck you yet, the second tune is a highly simplified version of Gordon Duncan's celebrated reel The Clumsy Lover!

I'm not sure about that Steve. I think "The Clumsy Lover" was composed by a Scots piper named Neil Dickie,
and is a different tune to the one Sharon plays in the video above.
Here is Sharon playing the said 'Clumsy Lover'.

richard.fleming

« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2020, 02:29:36 PM »

Sometimes I think she uses the fingers on her left hand in a way that probably adds to the pulse of the playing but can easily be mistaken for a very light touch to the basses. But also some very tasty use of basses, of  course.
Old Paolo Sopranis in C#/D and D/D#

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2020, 02:34:16 PM »

I'm not sure about that Steve. I think "The Clumsy Lover" was composed by a Scots piper named Neil Dickie,

OK, got the composer wrong. But I'm convinced that what Sharon plays in the Blackbird medley is a reworking of it. Try them both on the box, pick them apart, and report back.

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2020, 02:35:48 PM »

I was just surprised as the video was linked as an example of her fine use of the basses.

'Tasty' was the word I used. I think there is a subtle difference...to my mind anyway.
I didn't offer it as an example of fine use of the bass in the Irish tradition, but rather just to point out
that she does make some use of the basses, albeit only very occasionally.

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2020, 02:42:15 PM »

OK, got the composer wrong. But I'm convinced that what Sharon plays in the Blackbird medley is a reworking of it. Try them both on the box, pick them apart, and report back.

Ah Jasus, life is very short. All that stuff sounds the same to me. (That's not entirely true of course).
You may well be correct.

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2020, 03:05:01 PM »

I'm convinced that what Sharon plays in the Blackbird medley is a reworking of it.

This discussion on another forum might (or might not) shed some light on the subject.

Graham Wood

• Regular debater
  • Old Fumble Fingers
« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2020, 09:06:57 PM »

My advice would be to play it in D. I'm sure she is playing it in D on a C#/D box. It would be very un-Irish to change the key in order to fit in with the basses, and anyway (I believe) it ought to be your top priority to learn to play in D and G on your BC box. C is a most unusual key in ITM. I can only think of a couple of tunes that get played in C. Playing in C at this stage will not support the development of BC playing  techniques. (In my opinion). I love your enthusiasm, by the way.

Thank you. Yes I'm playing it in D. I've also started The Marino Waltz in G. So I've got 3 tunes on the go now, Captain Pugwash in C, The Blackbird in D and The Marino Waltz in G which sounds a bit like Les Dawson playing the piano. Captain Pugwash is pretty much there now and I like it because I can play both sides. The other two are just the right side because no chords fit in appropriate places. The Marino Waltz in G uses chords G Bm C D and I think there is an Am in there somewhere. I sometimes wonder whether a 2.5 row box with 12 basses would be more of a Jack of All Trades. But then I wouldn't know whether to get it in D/G or B/C. I do like the Connemara lll but it looks like a system that once you've learnt on it then you wouldn't be able to play anything else. I'll stick with what I've got and see how it develops for now. I just like playing the left hand to try and fill the tunes out a bit.
Graham Wood - Third Planet from The Sun
Hohner Morgane B/C,   Junior Martin 1 Row in 'D' with knobs on top,   Acadian 1 Row in 'C' with more knobs on top.

george garside

« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2020, 10:49:38 PM »

the hohner  BC  double ray with 12 'stradella' bass is a usefull box,   bass notes and chords  FCGDAE  same in both directions so melody doesn't have to be played to suite the bass
george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Barlow

• Bad player, good talker apparently
  • Regular debater
  • Castagnari Lilly B/C Erica D/G
« Reply #109 on: February 20, 2020, 04:38:30 PM »

I want to learn Sharon Shannons 'Blackbird'.

It's a very simple wee throwaway tune really.
You certainly don't need sheet music for it.

I was just getting to grips with Blackbird and feeling pleased with myself and then read the above!

That said, it does lend itself quite nicely to the B/C.

In the second tune, Happy One Step, B part, do folk play the high Bs on the outside row (push) as the box does seem to get rather extended with all the pull notes (Ds, Bs, As)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 01:33:39 AM by Barlow »
. . .
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal