Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Semitone Box Is A 1 Row With A Helper Row: Discuss  (Read 3799 times)

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
Re: A Semitone Box Is A 1 Row With A Helper Row: Discuss
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2020, 06:29:54 PM »

We definitely seem to be going round in circles now... please make it stop  :|||:
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2020, 06:32:04 PM »

[[ADMI]]

Agreed Helena

Topic closed.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2020, 09:30:16 AM »

A last contribution from the Peadar who started the topic:

I was about  to respond to Chris Ryalls suggestion that I answer as to whether the discussion had answered my question when Theo drew the debate to a close, so I am asking him to edit this message into the last post on the topic.

There was of course the inevitable digging in to established positions but I took something away from the points made by almost eveyone who engaged with the question.
I concluded yes you can look at it in that way, but regardless of how I see it myself, the approach makes most sense if you are coming from a musical tradition in which there is a predominant key to which your main row is adapted. Notwithstanding the Peter Kennedy's views on D&G as the most useful keys for folk music I personally think (probably wrongly) of C as the home key of traditional English music.
The B/C had seemed to me a rather strange choice for Irish and Gaidhlig traditional music, where instrumental keys have long been influenced by the easier settings for fiddle music (G, D, A) and the pipes (D). I found Richard Fleming's explanation that he sees the semitone keyboard as a single entity rather than two rows was genuinely enlightening, and though I doubt my psyche will ever comprehend it in that way it explained how the B/C works with Irish Traditional music centred round the key of D.
Others demonstrated quite different ways of understanding the keyboard...and I would like to say a personal thank you to everyone who contributed to the discussion.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal