Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WTB Decorative stops for a 4 stopper (UK)  (Read 987 times)

rileycat

• Respected Sage
WTB Decorative stops for a 4 stopper (UK)
« on: February 20, 2020, 05:03:28 PM »

Just hoping there might be someone who can tell me a source for 4 wooden stops.  I'm after something with a decorative inlay on top in either light or dark wood.  I have them with some sort of shell insert on a Louisiana made instrument, but wondered if anyone has a UK source?  I know Charlie Marshall sells plain wood ones, so maybe I'll go there and find a friendly wood-turner to ream out the tops (or something), but I thought I should ask before going down that route.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: WTB Decorative stops for a 4 stopper (UK)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 05:14:12 PM »

Marc Savoy uses abalone shell inserts on the stops of some of his his Cajun boxes.
You can buy abalone shells and fragments from craft supplies and cut/shape/polish them to size for an insert on plain wooden stops (e.g. from Charlie Marshall).

Abalone is easy to work - it's basically calcite, hardness 3 on Mohs' scale, so it is readily cut and shaped with saws and files.
Here's a source for abalone in the UK.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

chris hall

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 05:28:48 PM »

i had 3 stops with inlays on top and one without. loads of abalone on amazon in different shades and colours so managed to find a half decent colour match and filed it to size. attacked the stop (carefully) with an appropriate sized drill bit on a slow setting and with a bit of filling and filing /gouging and glueing i had a matching stop. what could possibly go wrong!

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 06:10:28 PM »

There are all sorts of cabinet door knobs available on line.  You might be able to adapt one of these designs.
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 08:18:51 PM »

There is a resin based material available called Corian widely used for kitchen / bathroom surfaces and fittings which comes in a wide array of colours and materials, small offcuts generally accessible via 'posh' kitchen / bathroom building companies but steer clear of granite or other rock fill as it can be awkward to turn.
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 08:43:39 PM »

I wouldn’t turn it what ever the material, get a plug cutter.
Assuming we are filling a hole and not doing something different.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 01:09:27 AM »

Marc Savoy uses abalone shell

My background is in marine biology and at one time I was involved in a research/fisheries project on Abalone.
It was a bugger trying to keep the critters alive..the last thing you wanted to see was empty shells!
Still have the odd nightmare about the whole episode.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 09:56:44 AM »

Screw in melodeon buttons come is different colours I believe. Should be easy to set one of those in the top of a stop.
SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 11:20:56 AM »

Just make sure you buy matching rubber bands... >:E
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

rileycat

• Respected Sage
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2020, 11:54:25 AM »

Thanks for all the ideas - I am not anxious to harm the natural world in any way, so abalone fragments would be my less preferred material.  I hadn't thought of using  a screw-in button as an insert - good idea John.  I found a fellow folk-club member who has the wood-turning gear, so I'm going down that route.  Get some buttons, get them turned down to a smallish diameter (the edges won't show) and get them inserted. Tony

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2020, 05:31:25 PM »

"Abalone is easy to work - it's basically calcite, hardness 3 on Mohs' scale, so it is readily cut and shaped with saws and files.
Here's a source for abalone in the UK."

Be careful when cutting or drilling abalone, The dust is REALLY BAD for your lungs and can cause silicosis.

Wear a respirator and use a wet rag to clean up dust.

I have had good results cutting it with a dremel while barely submerged under water in a pie tin, this really keeps the dust down and the tool cool.
A forstener bit will cut you a nice square edged hole  to drop a disc into. You can also get synthetic abalone guitar pics made from celluloid. you can make discs using a hole punch of the needed size.
 I use these to repair crumbling casein bandoneon buttons that have lost the pearl inlay. I dremel a shallow recess and use gap filling cyanoacrylate glue to set the celluloid disc. The celluloid is very tough and the glue binds the cracks in the old button.
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal