Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cleaning needed.  (Read 4769 times)

Revles

Cleaning needed.
« on: January 11, 2008, 04:14:44 PM »

Played my  'Tommy' out with the Deal 'Hoodners'....in the streets for charity.a bird dropped a load of mess on the front of the Tommy.....hit the fret worrk bit

Revles

Re: Cleaning needed.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 04:19:17 PM »

hit the wrong button...........the birds mess hit the front fret work and musling like cloth cover.......I note there are four tiny screws on this cover..is it okay to take the front off.never done this sort of thing before..........and then I can clean it with some warm soapy water to get the mess off..........any thing I need to be particulalry wary about.thanks

Dazbo

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Danger MAD Here!
    • My YouTube Channel for melodeons, morris and folk in general
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 04:45:15 PM »

The grille comes off quite easily as long as you've got the correct screwdriver.  Just try to ensure the screws go back in the holes you take them out of (better safe than sorry!).  Beneath the veneer on the grille it is metal so although it looks fragile it is fairly robust.  The material is glued on so I'd be wary of washing it although apart from letting it dry totally and then brushing off as much as you can I'm not sure what I'd do.

Don't be afraid to take the box apart, they're built to be, just make sure everything goes back where it came from, don't use force and while you're at it take photos of the inside and uniquely mark it in case of theft.  The only thing I'm wary of are the reed assemblies themselves - best left to a pro on a high end machine like a tommy (get a cheap knackered one off ebay if you want to delve into that area).
Ciao Bellow

Darren

Folkiekay

• Good talker
  • Hyde Texas Rose
    • Street Squeeze
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 06:53:31 PM »

Played my  'Tommy' out with the Deal 'Hoodners'....in the streets for charity.a bird dropped a load of mess on the front of the Tommy.....hit the fret worrk bit

Do you realize when a bird poops on your accordion that it means you and your accordion will have good luck?

I've not had any hit that particular spot - usually with me it is inside the bellows, and for that I just take a wet cloth and rub it a bit and it comes right off.

Kay

george garside

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 10:25:15 PM »

all depends on the make & model of bird,its diet, the state of its bowels, the  viscosity of the shit,air speed of the bird, the hight and  angle of tragectory, wind speed and many other variables .

However the sooner its removed the better as certain brands of BS can chemically atack the surface on which it has landed.Try  Damp cloth with warm soapy water if Dazbo's     dry brushing method fails, other possibles include very fine wire wool nearly dry but damp with warm soapy water to act as lubricant.  metholated spirit  on kitchen roll, vinager on kitchen roll,  or somebodys patent birdshit remover if you can find it!

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

EeeJay

• Old Grey Paolo
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 10:50:36 PM »

Yeah... come to think of it , the acidity in the vinegar might help neutralise the lime in the bird crap...

...but then the thing smells of vinegar, which needs washing off!

Grille materiel is bonded using non-water soluble glue, so should be OK with a bit of gentle dabbing and drying to get it off bit by bit... try cotton buds to get it out of the fretwork...

If the bird muck leaves stains, and the grille cloth is white... hmm... try a wee dab of "Vanish" perhaps?

Ed J

Kevin Mack

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 12:59:31 PM »

I'd say get it off as quick as you can!!
It can be corrosive, and it would be hard to repair damage to the finish.
The grille cloth can easily be replaced for pennies, so I wouldn't worry about staining that. I would rinse it in washing powder solution, quickly without soaking, and dry with a hair dryer.
Gloucester Lad  Can't play (much)  Can fix  Can tune

Revles

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 07:22:10 PM »

very carefully removed the grill.............it was quite hard to get the bird stain off and I ran some warm water through that specific part of the grill........then had to use a toothbrush..very gently.but its all off and I have got the thing back together okay after letting it dry fully.again thanks for the help,advice and comment. Les.

an bosca ceoil

• Respected Sage
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 06:59:29 PM »

Hope, with the current threat of avian flu, you have replaced your toothbrush?

squeezebox63

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 01:51:42 PM »

Was it a seagull or a sparrow.
The wood finish boxs have good tone, but to me are prone to scratchs and finish damage. a sacrifice I guess. The grillcloth should"nt be to hard to change.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal