Fisher's Hornpipe
- 5 (8.8%)
Speed the Plough
- 26 (45.6%)
Marmalade Polka
- 5 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the month for October 2009 - Speed the Plough  (Read 89808 times)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Tune of the month for October 2009
« Reply #120 on: October 05, 2009, 04:43:12 PM »

Having listened to some of the examples, I think mine might be a bit slower than it should be. Also, you'll have to ignore the rude interuption of my rescue dog.   ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3fPzKMihHc

Cheers

Sandy
 (:)

Yes very nice, good pulse including through the longer notes. Many of the other recordings could have been improved by a slightly slower pace so as not to feel rushed.

And the dog - was in time with the music for the first two barks, than hit the off-beat!

Might try it at the local folk club tonight without the dog  ;D

Dog just needs a bit more rehearsal, should be ready for the club next month!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 04:45:13 PM by Theo »
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

graememackay

• Graeme Mackay
  • B/C/C# Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeze
    • Graeme's homepage
« Reply #121 on: October 05, 2009, 05:38:35 PM »

Having listened to some of the examples, I think mine might be a bit slower than it should be. Also, you'll have to ignore the rude interuption of my rescue dog.   ;D

Cheers

Sandy

I like it!  I enjoyed your other videos too!  keep it up
Black Shand Morino

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #122 on: October 05, 2009, 05:43:00 PM »

Cheers

Sandy

My favourite version so far I think  ;D Certainly not too slow and had fantastic bounce.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #123 on: October 05, 2009, 05:56:08 PM »

Cheers

Sandy

Yes, a speed and arrangement I like as well.  Also the dog was fantastic (I'm a sucker for dogs called "sam").

Not yet done one myself, but working up to it (actually i've had one go, but the sound quality was awful), shortly I hope..
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Steve Fox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #124 on: October 05, 2009, 06:21:55 PM »

Cheers

Sandy

Love your version, Sandy, and the dog is an absolute superstar.  Thank you.
Steve from Wakefield

LJC

« Reply #125 on: October 05, 2009, 06:23:28 PM »

Mine is way too fast, the Morris would kill me for doing it that speed for them, but I was in a rush to get out for work! melod-ian's version is my favorite so far, played at a much more sensible tempo!

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
« Reply #126 on: October 05, 2009, 07:02:20 PM »

Ok! ...mines up. ???... I actually dislike the tune and never play it! ... so i tried to be clever in playing in 4 keys on 1 melodeon Gm / G / Em / Am (Castagnari Mory) on a bass reed sound on treble side!... almost got it ..but crashed into the final key change so took out half a sec of video. when the next month tune comes round i'll put more thought and care into it!  :( :||:  DTN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biMtU47TOgg
All the gear and no idea! .... DTN   "Hampshire UK"

Sebastian

« Reply #127 on: October 05, 2009, 07:06:06 PM »

Having listened to some of the examples, I think mine might be a bit slower than it should be.
Nonsense. Yours is brilliant!  :D

AndyShear

• D/G Mory
  • Regular debater
    • The Busketeers
« Reply #128 on: October 05, 2009, 07:18:08 PM »

Ok! ...mines up. ???... I actually dislike the tune and never play it! ... so i tried to be clever in playing in 4 keys on 1 melodeon Gm / G / Em / Am (Castagnari Mory) on a bass reed sound on treble side!... almost got it ..but crashed into the final key change so took out half a sec of video. when the next month tune comes round i'll put more thought and care into it!  :( :||:  DTN

That's just wonderfull with a baroque flourish .Rearly liked that one .
With the lostness in das Man, the nearest, factical potentiality-ofbeing of Da-sein has always already been decided upon – tasks, rules, standards, the urgency and scope of being-in-the-world, concerned and taking care of things. Das-Man has always already taken the apprehension of these possibilities-of-being away from Dasein.

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #129 on: October 05, 2009, 08:27:28 PM »

Ok! ...mines up. ???... I actually dislike the tune and never play it! ...

Woah, I wish I could "never play" tunes that sound like that.  Watching it made me remember what it was that drew me to melodeons in the first place.  I'm also beginning to appreciate how difficult it is to reach that sort of level  :(.  Loved it.
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

tjsmithdog5

• Regular debater
« Reply #130 on: October 05, 2009, 10:06:59 PM »

This whole TOTM thing is, as you guys on the Other Side might put it, "brilliant!" Needless to say, it's pretty hard to find a melodeon tutor here in the American midwest, but I feel as though I've got an entire platoon of skilled teachers on melodeon.net along with a bunch of like-minded learners. You've taught me a lot already, but as you'll see from the hesitantly attached clip, there is still a long way to go. Any comments at all, especially tips on what I can do to get that toe-tapping "lift," will be much appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njt-asrE_Ec

Jeff Smith, Michigan
Laura G/C, Giordy D/G, Preciosa C/F

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
« Reply #131 on: October 05, 2009, 10:17:28 PM »

This whole TOTM thing is, as you guys on the Other Side might put it, "brilliant!" Needless to say, it's pretty hard to find a melodeon tutor here in the American midwest, but I feel as though I've got an entire platoon of skilled teachers on melodeon.net along with a bunch of like-minded learners. You've taught me a lot already, but as you'll see from the hesitantly attached clip, there is still a long way to go. Any comments at all, especially tips on what I can do to get that toe-tapping "lift," will be much appreciated.

That was really good Jeff , A real nice personal way of playing it!.... One thing i like to do with these kind of tunes is play with the speeds (usually slower as can bring all kinds of possibilities) and change the rhythm ..i.e make it 'Swing' a bit into a calypso style hornpipe or something .....All versions are pretty much played on all these You Tubes!!. ;D... You got the skills mate ..just experiment!  DTN  :|||:
All the gear and no idea! .... DTN   "Hampshire UK"

tjsmithdog5

• Regular debater
« Reply #132 on: October 05, 2009, 10:39:30 PM »

Ok! ...mines up. ???... I actually dislike the tune and never play it! ...

Woah, I wish I could "never play" tunes that sound like that.  Watching it made me remember what it was that drew me to melodeons in the first place.  I'm also beginning to appreciate how difficult it is to reach that sort of level  :(.  Loved it.

I totally agree, GbH. That's a whole lot of creativity to bring to such a simple tune. This little instrument has commanded the respect of a lot of very accomplished musicians, and we're very lucky to have so many of them dwelling among us.
Jeff Smith, Michigan
Laura G/C, Giordy D/G, Preciosa C/F

Selam

• Regular debater
« Reply #133 on: October 05, 2009, 11:03:56 PM »

I LOVE THIS!! Absolutely brilliant!!!

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #134 on: October 05, 2009, 11:31:04 PM »

Any comments at all, especially tips on what I can do to get that toe-tapping "lift," will be much appreciated.

Hi from across the pond! You're doing great there, very nice indeed! Best piece of advice I can give you re: lift is to find one of the TOTM videos with the sound/rhythm/lift/swing/hard-to-describe-thing you're looking for... and play along with it. Lots! Then try see if you can play with the same 'feel' without the video. Then see if you can do that, then switch into another tune, keeping the same feel.

When I learned to play, many, many years ago there was no youtube, but there was a large morris dance side where I lived with a stonkingly good melodeon player who played with a wonderful 'swing' (that's what I call it anyway) to her playing. You learn so much playing alongside people like that... and with youtube you can take your pick of who's style you want to learn from!

Have fun!
Clive

graememackay

• Graeme Mackay
  • B/C/C# Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeze
    • Graeme's homepage
« Reply #135 on: October 06, 2009, 12:53:49 AM »

Well done Jeff, and a great wee melodeon too!  nice sound!
Black Shand Morino

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #136 on: October 06, 2009, 06:23:34 AM »

Watching all the different versions of StP has been fantastic and most instructive. Thanks to all. I am a beginner and a previous version of me learning this tune is posted on another thread :|bl. For my TOTM effort I enlisted the moral, and musical, support of two of my daughters (thanks girls!). Sorry about the blurry video, the cameraman couldn't figure out how to focus my still camera!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z1flgEhnKA

I don't get 'jigs'

Ziachmusi/Louise

• Respected Sage
« Reply #137 on: October 06, 2009, 11:53:37 AM »

I'm really impressed so far. I love all of the beginner videos I find them very encouraging. I've gone down the same road as Juker cross rowing on a G/C. But I'll certainly try my luck on one row. This is all great food for thought and very educational. Thank you all.

Louise

stevejay

« Reply #138 on: October 06, 2009, 01:00:51 PM »

Watching all the different versions of StP has been fantastic and most instructive. Thanks to all. I am a beginner and a previous version of me learning this tune is posted on another thread :|bl. For my TOTM effort I enlisted the moral, and musical, support of two of my daughters (thanks girls!). Sorry about the blurry video, the cameraman couldn't figure out how to focus my still camera!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z1flgEhnKA

Sounded nice with the family. Very complete ensemble with a guitar and fllute really, melodeon pumping out a bass.

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #139 on: October 06, 2009, 01:06:42 PM »

[/quote]

Sounded nice with the family. Very complete ensemble with a guitar and fllute really, melodeon pumping out a bass.
[/quote]

Thank you  (:)
I don't get 'jigs'
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal