Fisher's Hornpipe
- 5 (8.8%)
Speed the Plough
- 26 (45.6%)
Marmalade Polka
- 5 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the month for October 2009 - Speed the Plough  (Read 89798 times)

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
Re: Tune of the month for October 2009
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2009, 07:37:43 PM »

Sounding good Ollie (:)

I don't have a camera which records sound at the moment, so mine may be a little while coming. I will endevour to do one though.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Ellie

• Saltarelle Pastourelle II
    • Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2009, 07:53:59 PM »

You look like you're wresting with your melodeon Ollie! Mine is very tame by comparison...

It can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjhPILrSwYo

I was trying to keep it relatively steady, and struggling rather. Still, I'm sure it's doing me good  (:)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 11:15:17 PM by Ellie »

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2009, 08:48:05 PM »

And here it is a video (after 3 days -well three 30mins- practice) so rubbish it will make all others look so much better :Ph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5qNOyglPhM
I found the B part really hard. And everytime I nearly got it I suddenly thought oh no I'm doing a V sighn or my hands too far through the strap or I'm not using the air button.... :-[

boblsturm

• Good talker
    • High Noon, GMT
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2009, 09:16:20 PM »

Greetings everyone from this noob. 

I really like this idea of tune of the month. Just a few months ago here in Paris I started playing the diato. Before that I played the piano accordion, but I was never really able to play by ear. Now I am training my ear and am finding that the diato is much more logically laid out than I first though! Plus I find the bellows work much more entertaining than on the regular piano accordion.

Watching people play on YouTube (and then imitating) has really helped me, especially Jan Anderss (http://www.youtube.com/user/Jananderss). So I really look forward to studying every contribution.

Here my wife and I play "Speed the Plough": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56GUeTSQ578

Cheers.
Bob L. Sturm, Associate Professor, and student of the melodeon

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2009, 09:18:39 PM »

And here it is a video (after 3 days -well three 30mins- practice) so rubbish it will make all others look so much better :Ph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5qNOyglPhM
I found the B part really hard. And everytime I nearly got it I suddenly thought oh no I'm doing a V sighn or my hands too far through the strap or I'm not using the air button.... :-[

With that amount of practice that is very good.

But just an observation that may help you out, from the video shows you have the treble end strapped on with two straps but you are resting the bass end on your leg so the changes of push and pull are moving the treble end more than it should thus killing off the crispness of the changes. You might try lifting the bass end up in the air (yes I know its heavy etc but you did invent the extra strap) and see if it makes a difference. Hope this helsp  (:)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2009, 09:22:11 PM »

I really like this idea of tune of the month. Just a few months ago here in Paris I started playing the diato. Before that I played the piano accordion, but I was never really able to play by ear. Now I am training my ear and am finding that the diato is much more logically laid out than I first though! Plus I find the bellows work much more entertaining than on the regular piano accordion.

Watching people play on YouTube (and then imitating) has really helped me, especially Jan Anderss (http://www.youtube.com/user/Jananderss). So I really look forward to studying every contribution.

Here my wife and I play "Speed the Plough": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56GUeTSQ578

Cheers.

Welcome Bob and thank you for your fine video. A different spin on StP than I have heard before but definitly fun. Good to see people enjoying playing together.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2009, 09:22:48 PM »

Cheers.

Excellent! Funny, witty and very romantic at the end - who'd have thought that 'Speed the Plough' could be such fun!?
Thanks for posting it.
AL

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2009, 09:23:03 PM »

But just an observation that may help you out, from the video shows you have the treble end strapped on with two straps but you are resting the bass end on your leg so the changes of push and pull are moving the treble end more than it should thus killing off the crispness of the changes. You might try lifting the bass end up in the air (yes I know its heavy etc but you did invent the extra strap) and see if it makes a difference. Hope this helsp  (:)
ha-h'm Lester...have another look....I'm only using one strap. ;)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2009, 09:28:33 PM »

You still need to get the bass end off your leg (in my opinion)

LB

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2009, 09:34:13 PM »

Welcome, Bob. An interesting rendition of the tune. What a shame the video cut out just as it was getting interesting.  >:E (LDT: I think we need an emote for 'slapped wrist')

Sorry that I, as the person who first suggested Speed the Plough, have not yet posted a video. I am awaiting the arrival of a webcam in the post - then I have to work out how to use it.  ??? It could be a while before my video gets posted.  ::)
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2009, 10:24:15 PM »

I think it would be best to keep all links in this topic so we're not stuck with Youtube
So here is a link to my First Take:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9xBh-x_Ymg
cheers
Bryson

Wow! I hope I get to the point where my first effort at a new tune sounds like this. Well done.
I don't get 'jigs'

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2009, 11:15:29 PM »

In that case you need to use two :P Unless there is an *ahem* feminine reason as to why that is impractical. Lester is right though, the treble end needs to be as still as possible, which means that you should take the bass end off your leg (:)

Your recording was very good though, with that amount of practice. (:)
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Selam

• Regular debater
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2009, 11:41:13 PM »

Hmmm - my first ever youtube vid. I doubt it'll stay up for long!  ;D Here's all 30 seconds of my version. I did play longer but it didn't come out very well... And I was far too excited and keen to post it to record another one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxhrmaadZi8

I'll practise the tune some more then try again but - not bad for three months playing and a couple of hours learning the tune?  :|||:

Selam

• Regular debater
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2009, 12:02:28 AM »

Oh and I know I'm playing it too fast and unevenly but I was so excited about making my first video...

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2009, 03:45:17 AM »

Hmmm - my first ever youtube vid. I doubt it'll stay up for long!  ;D Here's all 30 seconds of my version. I did play longer but it didn't come out very well... And I was far too excited and keen to post it to record another one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxhrmaadZi8

I'll practise the tune some more then try again but - not bad for three months playing and a couple of hours learning the tune?  :|||:

Not bad at all! Well done   (:)
I don't get 'jigs'

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2009, 08:00:03 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9xBh-x_Ymg Bryson

Cool use of the left end, breaking it up into block chords. You did just one pull/push reversal playing B music against an Em chord blocked x 3. That can be expanded easily, in several ways.

• play as block chords but change them | Em pull | D pull | C pull | Note the descending bass line. You are already moving bass about = this now 'puts it in charge'
  • as above but mix D pull with +Em chord, then even C pull +Em. These cross chords are an easy way to 'jazz' it slightly and better not used at the start - wait until the tune is firmly in the listener's head!
  • 3 as per 2 but hold Em down and do a walking bass E>D>C It uses quite a lot of air and feels strange at first but well worth learning - as useful in lots of tunes
  • 4. pick and mix these with the push version (as you do) :D Chris

_       _    _      _ 

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2009, 08:03:12 AM »

First of all, many thanks to everyone who made such nice comments about my Speed the Plough set near the beginning of this thread. I'm glad you liked it and I enjoyed making the multi-tracking recording. It was fun and instructive to do, if rather time-consuming!

Secondly, as someone who occasionally teaches and runs melodeon workshops, I am heartened by everyone's contributions so far and especially to those of you who are just beginners and who must find it very scary putting your playing up in the world-wide public to be scrutinised so closely. Well done! The TOTM idea is a really good one. It shows beyond doubt that we all play tunes in different ways, and that all those ways are valid, and that we can learn from each other. Please keep those recordings coming in. (:)

Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

HallelujahAl

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2009, 09:46:05 AM »

Sorry Steve but I've only just got around to listening to your 'Speed t'Plough' set! Great stuff and something for me to aspire to!
My own version is running a bit late at the moment as I am trying to fit in work (yes, I do!) around my life  ;)
AL

Keithypete.

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2009, 11:13:19 AM »

Very impressed indeed with Steve_freereeder's Speed the plough set. It really is very good. The playing is excellent. Is the audio only thing easier than video as well?
Beltuna Sara II - B/C flavour.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2009, 11:38:01 AM »

In that case you need to use two :P Unless there is an *ahem* feminine reason as to why that is impractical. Lester is right though, the treble end needs to be as still as possible, which means that you should take the bass end off your leg (:)
I found the left hand strap kept falling off my shoulder...so I took it off.

And well the feminine reason as you put it does contribute...I've always wondered how high as a lady I should have the melodeon resting to avoid any...accidents.

With that amount of practice that is very good.
Your recording was very good though, with that amount of practice. (:)

Thanks both :) for the compliment.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 12:17:05 PM by ladydetemps »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal