Fisher's Hornpipe
- 5 (8.8%)
Speed the Plough
- 26 (45.6%)
Marmalade Polka
- 5 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the month for October 2009 - Speed the Plough  (Read 89805 times)

stevejay

Re: Tune of the month for October 2009
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2009, 08:01:10 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9e6Tg2xYpA

My submission for Speed the Plough, done in one take, and yes I'm a noobie. ;D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 08:03:04 PM by stevejay »

HallelujahAl

« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2009, 08:21:11 PM »

Good one Steve!
AL

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2009, 08:45:25 PM »

My submission for Speed the Plough, done in one take, and yes I'm a noobie. ;D

You're doing OK. Nice rhythm and solid chunky bass in the standard form. I remember struggling with playing 2 RH note per 1 LH.  As you got the tune going - it was real music.

Couple of technical tips. Consider lengthening your strap, so the box rather than bellows are on your knee. It's more stable when playing, and they say bending bellows over your knee makes for an expensive repair one day!

Keep those right hand fingers poised over the buttons rather than waving them in the air like Jilly Goolden sipping the latest Chilean chardonnay. It's more direct, and you are missing opportunities to tap in notes with your little finger that could hang over the octave up G. Basically the A music of this tuhe is all on the G chord and you can substitute little finger G for any push note - B or D in this case. It will also 'get the pinkie going'

eg try GABC dedB dedB dgdB - standard wriggle and as it harmonises, so doesn't disturb the 'Force' in a session at all.

See other posts re squaring up the chords, drones notes etc -- but what you are doing now is fine, and excellent for an 'improver'.  focus on right end for now. If you next video shows left end as well  ;) you'll get feedback on that too.

Oh .. and tap the right foot if you can - but then I'm another inveterate left footer :|bl
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 08:13:04 AM by chrisryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2009, 09:18:53 PM »

Here's my attempt at it, something of a departure from anything I've tried before...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2c_TqvyJ0g

Well, it originally started out as StP, but I think that something got a bit lost along the way.   :|bl

Anyhow, I've been really enjoying watching the submissions so far and have already learned from them, particularly with some of the bass work that's been going on.  I look forward to seeing more.

"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2009, 11:34:19 PM »

Here's my attempt at it, something of a departure from anything I've tried before...

Well, it originally started out as StP, but I think that something got a bit lost along the way.   :|bl

Oh my word !!  wonderful !!  thank you !!

cheers

Sandy
 (:)

p.s. with that you had better watch out for the Melodeon police. (thank you Lester for the image).

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2009, 11:35:09 PM »

Well, it originally started out as StP, but I think that something got a bit lost along the way.   :|bl

Anyhow, I've been really enjoying watching the submissions so far and have already learned from them, particularly with some of the bass work that's been going on.  I look forward to seeing more.

I love it - fantastic music... but I have to ask... where do you get a cow mask at 9pm on a Saturday night? (:) :D ;D

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2009, 11:48:13 PM »

I don't get 'jigs'

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2009, 11:55:34 PM »

here do you get a cow mask at 9pm on a Saturday night? (:) :D ;D

Easy - from the local moo-seum!

(p.s. - not worried about the melodeon police - how would they know it was me?)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 12:03:52 AM by GbH »

Selam

• Regular debater
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2009, 11:59:29 PM »

Everyone's entries are so good! And so very different! :)

I was gonna do another attempt today because I've changed the bassline a bit but I had a request from a family member to "put that bloody plough in the shed" so maybe I'll leave it a few days...  :-\

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2009, 12:26:09 AM »

ok - here's my TOTM - the problem is it's one of those tunes that always seems to appear right in the middle of when I'm playing something else... enjoy, please don't be too critical and yes it's in Eb. Can anyone workout what the other tunes are?
AL

Yay - I was waiting to see whether anyone would try it on a B/C/C# instrument (or B/C, for that matter).  I'm really interested to see how the same tune comes accross when using the different button configurations.  So far, it seems to have been mainly D/G, despite the amount of discussion that seems to revolve around other systems.

In addition, I now realise that my preconceptions for what constitutes Salvation Army headwear were not fully accurate.

Sebastian

« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2009, 12:29:11 AM »

but I had a request from a family member to "put that bloody plough in the shed" so maybe I'll leave it a few days...  :-\
Family members are the worst audience. If they are ignorant and persist in not making positive comments, they have to be ignored.  ;D

graememackay

• Graeme Mackay
  • B/C/C# Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeze
    • Graeme's homepage
« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2009, 12:31:18 AM »

I'll give it a go tomorrow.  Been too busy this week but got a few hours in the morning free and a newly Tuned Shand Morino to do it on...Stay tuned
Black Shand Morino

Sebastian

« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2009, 12:39:26 AM »

I'm really interested to see how the same tune comes accross when using the different button configurations.
Yes. That was one reason, why I didn't use a two-row melodeon. I thought about using a one-row, but I'm not good on it.  >:(

Keithypete.

« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2009, 12:43:26 AM »

ok - here's my TOTM - the problem is it's one of those tunes that always seems to appear right in the middle of when I'm playing something else... enjoy, please don't be too critical and yes it's in Eb. Can anyone workout what the other tunes are?
AL

Yay - I was waiting to see whether anyone would try it on a B/C/C# instrument (or B/C, for that matter).  I'm really interested to see how the same tune comes accross when using the different button configurations.  So far, it seems to have been mainly D/G, despite the amount of discussion that seems to revolve around other systems.

In addition, I now realise that my preconceptions for what constitutes Salvation Army headwear were not fully accurate.

Hi, it's gone midnight and another thing on the computer has just told me it doesn't recognize the file type or something. I intend to post something on the B/C when I can work it out. Probably have to record it on the phone and do something with that. Bet you can't wait. Love the minor/modal setting.
Beltuna Sara II - B/C flavour.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2009, 08:08:56 AM »

Hi, it's gone midnight and another thing on the computer has just told me it doesn't recognize the file type or something. I intend to post something on the B/C when I can work it out. Probably have to record it on the phone and do something with that. Bet you can't wait. Love the minor/modal setting.

I've not got video connected yet, but mainly laziness.  Must do this or be exposed as a bullsh1tter

Wasn't that version lovely!  Modal transpositions (using the same notes but start on a different note) aren't really session stuff (actually not at all!) but can be great fun solo or with a suitable group of friends. They feel jazzy because jazz is based on modes. Moving it into the minor has opened up massive possibilities ...

GbH chose to build his E minor on the G scale in which it's the 6th note.  Build it on the D scale (play D-row-C# instead of C) and you get the 2nd mode of D.  This is 'dorian' and feels more folky - just by changing one note!

Experimenters can try both.  If you want to make 'modal folk music' - pick one mode and stick to it strictly. If you feel jazzy - slip between the two. There is beauty in both.

On our limited instrument it's the 'Art of the Possible' on the left end. Good chords to try are Em, Em pull with C bass,  A pull, C both ways, C pull with A-bass, D push on B bass - ie the standard 'crossed' chords.  Do it on 'feel'

To improvise - hold eg pull Em chord or bass but simplify the tune to a pentatonic minor by dropping the C(#) and F# and just playing on E G A B D and octave E.   All are pull notes except D (rock D/E button) - a reversed D  is a boon here

Depending on how you substitute C and F#, and how you phrase, you can make it sound Caledonian or Chinese.

Do you have a pull Ab accidental? If so slip it in occasionally, either ahead of A when the tune rises, or before G if its falling. You are now playing it as a Blues.

Experiment
  _       _    _      _ 

HallelujahAl

« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2009, 08:15:10 AM »

I now realise that my preconceptions for what constitutes Salvation Army headwear were not fully accurate.
Ah GbH the thought of doing it in a bonnet did cross my mind - maybe next month!
 ;)

Very nice Al, most entertaining.
Thanks Juker for your kind comments.
AL
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 08:27:13 AM by HallelujahAl »

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2009, 11:31:56 AM »

Everyone's entries are so good! And so very different! :)

I was gonna do another attempt today because I've changed the bassline a bit but I had a request from a family member to "put that bloody plough in the shed" so maybe I'll leave it a few days...  :-\
I get similar comments...but the main culprit is thankfully on holiday so I've been able to practice without comment...well much comment. I was quite surprised when Mum said 'you're getting better' as she passed the door.

boblsturm

• Good talker
    • High Noon, GMT
« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2009, 11:43:30 AM »

I have some questions.

My diato is in Sol/Do, and because the StP I have is written in Sol I have learned it in Sol using most of the outer row --- but I use many notes from the Do row. From what I have seen, most people are playing it on one row, which I see makes the number of push and pulls pretty even, and gives different stresses in the rhythm. I see Ollie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t0vPUYbvOE) playing his Re/Sol on the Sol row, and he has put in some excellent left hand work --- but I cannot see what he is doing in the bass. Since I want to imitate Ollie I will just have to learn StP on my Do row, right? But none of my chords are doing what his do.

Ollie, are your thirds taped? What chords are you hitting?

And also, when does one know to learn a tune on one row rather than across two rows? Or does one learn all ways of playing in the tune in both octaves of a two row?

Thank you!
Bob L. Sturm, Associate Professor, and student of the melodeon

Ancient Muse

« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2009, 12:18:04 PM »

Cripes! Everyone is so good. I have a lot of catching up to do!

Hi Selam - thanks for pointing me in this direction again!  ;)

This is my first time back here in MONTHS (sadly I haven't picked up my melodeon for weeks because of a course I am doing that I really MUST complete or I lose my job  :-\ ) so it may be October next year before I can Speed the Plough along with the rest of you. My left hand is out of its splint now too, which makes holding (and playing!) an instrument a lot more comfortable.

I still don't understand the ABC notation-thingy but I will work on it; I prefer the dots though - it's how I was taught music as a kid and it kind of stuck.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2009, 12:34:05 PM »

« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 12:37:13 PM by chrisryall »
  _       _    _      _ 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal