Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Practice diary?  (Read 494 times)

Phil Howard

• Regular debater
    • Red Cuthbert Morris
Practice diary?
« on: March 01, 2020, 08:10:13 AM »

Near the start of the "100 days of practice" thread there were  a couple of comments along the lines of both "I thought everyone did so daily" and "part of the trouble is deciding what to focus on". These are both things I've struggled with at times - I have had spells when I've been unstoppable, and when I've known exactly what I need to look at to improve, and others (as recently) when I've wanted to but for whatever reason haven't (and haven't been sure why).

So I've decided to try keeping a diary - nothing fancy, just a quick note each day of what I have practiced/focussed on, or that I haven't practiced and the reason why.

After a couple of weeks I've found that it's an effective motivator to remember to pick the box up (as least to start with!), and that the main bar to my practicing seems to be work or being completely knackered due to work. It's not yet making much difference to deciding what to do each day, but I feel like it may help in the long run.

Has anyone else done anything similar? What did you find?

Calum

• Good talker
Re: Practice diary?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 04:00:49 PM »

Yes, I use one for my fiddle playing.  It makes me much better at coming back to details from day to day - for example, a while back I see I spent six days in a row working on the bowing of Sleep Soond Ida Mornin, a not hugely tricky piece but one where you have to get the traditional bowing into muscle memory because the default doesn't really work.  I might well have noticed I needed to practice it, but would I have remembered to come back to it?  Not sure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal