Discussions > Instrument Makes and Models

Castagnari Rik v Beltuna Samuel II

(1/3) > >>

Debbie:

Does anyone have experience of either of these instruments? My pros and cons list is neck and neck at the moment so it would be good to hear your experiences of either instrument. They look very comparable on paper and both come from highly regarded makers. The Beltuna comes in a bit smaller and a tad lighter than the Rik, which surprised me as I understand they are regarded as heavy instruments. I love the Beltuna sound but I was really taken by the Rik I tried out recently. Any insight would be welcome, otherwise I'll still be deciding this time next year. Cheers!

Theo:
I think it comes down to which one has the sound and feel that you like best.

Steve_freereeder:
What Theo said - they are very similar in specifications, so it does indeed comes down to what sound and feel you like best.

One small deciding factor for me would be the over-long feet that Beltuna always seem to put on the LH ends. In my (limited) experience of playing Beltunas, the feet tend to get caught up more easily in the straps and/or clothing, and possibly are more prone to knocks because they stick out so much. The Castagnari feet are shorter and more squat, and don't normally have this potential drawback. I suppose you could always swap the Beltuna feet for different ones.

Also, Beltuna instruments tend to have a smooth, buttery sort of sound compared with the Castagnari sound which, to me, has that slightly brighter edge. But it's a very personal thing.

I would also advise you to check on waiting times and prices. Pete Ward (Acorn Instruments) currently has a new Rik in stock advertised at £3375. I believe Castagnari will be increasing their prices soon and possibly so will Beltuna.

Debbie:
Thanks Steve. It was Pete's Rik that I had the pleasure of playing. And yes, I believe a price increase is imminent so I need to decide soon. I really need to find someone in the Shropshire area willing to let me have a go on their Beltuna. I'll probably post a message asking if anyone is willing. I'll be sure to watch out for those sticky-out feet!  ;)

Steve_freereeder:
Yes - I wondered if you had played that Rik.
A bird in the hand... etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version