Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: 100 Days of Practice  (Read 11826 times)

Matt (Kings Norton)

• Respected Sage
  • West Midlands, UK
Re: 100 Days of Practice
« Reply #120 on: March 08, 2020, 10:27:30 PM »

I certainly don’t mind observations - I do practice slower cos otherwise I’ll never get anywhere, it was just this idea I had to see where the weak points get exposed... which they do.  But yes, thanks for taking the time and absolutely right.

george garside

« Reply #121 on: March 08, 2020, 10:43:17 PM »

yes- slow down   and in so doing think in terms that the way you play the 'gaps ' between notes  is just as important as the way you play the notes.  Playing the gaps is is probably the first stage of transforming the right notes in the right order into 'music'
Think rhythm  ( inherent in the way the melody is played)  dynamics  ( changes in volume which helps develop fine bellows control) and phrasing ( much the same as using  breaking up the spoken word with full stops,commas etc)

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #122 on: March 08, 2020, 11:21:54 PM »

I certainly don’t mind observations - I do practice slower cos otherwise I’ll never get anywhere, it was just this idea I had to see where the weak points get exposed... which they do.  But yes, thanks for taking the time and absolutely right.

It would be interesting to hear what it sounds like if you turn the idea around and concentrate on rhythm and let the melody take care of itself  ;D
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Matt (Kings Norton)

• Respected Sage
  • West Midlands, UK
« Reply #123 on: March 08, 2020, 11:46:59 PM »

George - will do - gradually - thank you...

Greg - I could probably manage to make it sound bloody awful, but the point is well made - the challenge to myself could be to record something that I actually think sounds good at whatever tempo (which would clearly be a slower tempo).

Thanks everybody, for the time and trouble. 

george garside

« Reply #124 on: March 09, 2020, 09:55:02 AM »

its worth keeping in mind that the rhythm can change (needs to be changed) if the same tune is played at different speeds.

eg  a 6/8 tune can often be played as  song accompaniment,  waltz, slow march, march, jig,   etcetc  so when deciding to play a tune slower or quicker it helps to 'give it a purpose'  along with the appropriate rhythm rather than just slowing it down or speeding it up.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal