Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adding in the bass  (Read 2175 times)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: Adding in the bass
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2020, 02:26:26 PM »

If some one can show me how to hold the growl box of a 4 bass 2 row and work the basses I would be most appreciative.
Shoulder strap(s) perhaps?  ;)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2020, 05:36:39 PM »

Regarding using all four fingers on the left hand I wish I had thought of it 40 years ago! Alas years of playing one row and a lack of tutors in the early days has left me using two fingers.

Yes indeed, and to add insult to injury I use all 4 fingers of my right hand... >:E >:E >:E :|glug
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2020, 12:01:50 PM »

My concern with the 'four fingers good' team is that for most people, from my experience, will be learning tunes in G so will require playing the basses using their ring and, more importantly, their little finger. The little finger is both the shortest and weakest finger thus making the whole learning process much more difficult.

Absolutely, however, there is a minority, of whom I am one, who can use their little fingers (did you know the French call it the ear finger) with relative ease.  Early on I got the first volume of Milleret & Pignol who insist that the little finger should be used from the start.  I found this relatively easy and have used all four since.  On the other hand, well, actually, the same hand, there are stunningly good players who don’t.  It’s all accordion to taste.
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Graham Wood

• Regular debater
  • Old Fumble Fingers
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2020, 12:57:07 PM »

Hello!

I'm sure this is a question that comes up frequently for newbies. I've only been learning for a month or so and been really surprised at how quickly I'm picking up tunes and enjoying playing. But now I'm starting to add in the bass and I'm completely stumped.

Any tips beyond keep practicing?!  Recommended exercises for D/G? Have you repeatedly practised left and right hands then put them together, close your eyes and hope each hand remembers what they are meant to be doing?

Thanks all!

Annie

Hi Annie. I started in January this year on a B/C box and apart from a couple of songs have kept away from the basses. I've now come to realise that not practicing the synchronicity you need between left hand and right hand is a big mistake.

I was working on 'Last of the Mohicans' for this months Theme of the month and came to realise that it probably wouldn't be ready by the end of the year let alone this month. So I switched to a song from the film 'Oliver' so I could learn to use both sides effectively.

What better song would there be to get a good Oom Pah Pah going on the left side then a song called 'Oom Pah Pah' as sung by Nancy in the film. I initially picked up the melody pretty quickly and then tried adding the bass. I then came to the conclusion that it's probably the wrong way to do it.

So I spent time just playing the bass side with the melody running in my head and then gradually added the melody and it's working out better. I might actually have a fighting chance of getting it ready by the end of the month but it is hard work and you need to keep plugging at it. My initial thoughts were 'How can such a simple song be so bl***y difficult'; but it does get easier and I guess it's the nature of a melodeon. So to answer your question, just keep practicing.

I'm playing in C on a B/C box but I'm guessing it would be very similar to playing in G on a D/G box. With regard to how many fingers you use on the left side, I guess the minimum number to get the job done. I use 2 and the others just waggle in the breeze....lol. If I can find a use for the other fingers in the future then I will use them. That time hasn't come for me yet.  ;)

Good luck

Graham Wood - Third Planet from The Sun
Hohner Morgane B/C,   Junior Martin 1 Row in 'D' with knobs on top,   Acadian 1 Row in 'C' with more knobs on top.

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2020, 04:30:59 PM »

Using two fingers on the bass end is fine if that's what you do, lots of people do this and play very well.

Using three fingers means you don't have to move your left hand up and down as much, typically you end up using the second and third fingers when playing the lower 4 buttons (G/D/C on a D/G) and the first and second fingers when playing the top four buttons (D/G/Em/B). You also need three fingers if you play more than one bass and a chord sometimes (e.g. G bass + G chord + B bass).

Using four fingers can let you do the same only more so, however if your little finger is a lot shorter than the other three (mine is) it's only really useful on the outer bottom button -- yes you can reach the inner row, but this means scrunching your hand up which isn't good for your hand posture or the other fingers. Of course if you've got a long little finger this isn't such a problem...

To summarise, more fingers gives you more options, it's probably worth learning to use 3 if you can, but not a massive problem if you make do with only 2 or manage to add the 4th one in.

It's much more important to learn *how* to play the basses (and treble end...) in such a way that they're not ploddy and fit with and add to the tunes than worry too much about how many fingers you use to do it... ;-)
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal