Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Joining in  (Read 5019 times)

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
Re: Joining in
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2020, 01:15:35 PM »

From my own perspective, it isn't absolute melodeon ability that deters me from sessions, but a poor memory, poor hearing (can't hear what I'm trying to play) and fear of judgement (partly because I'm the local high school music teacher and should therefore be better - by the way, this isn't based on any actual judgement, just my own anxiety). If you can play some session tunes from memory, I'd say you are ready to join in. Best of luck - don't sit on the outside, like I do but have courage.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Barlow

• Bad player, good talker apparently
  • Regular debater
  • Castagnari Lilly B/C Erica D/G
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2020, 09:50:33 AM »

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm based in the North West, so the Surrey-London border is out, I'm afraid.

There is a slow session in Lancaster:

https://lancasterslowsession.wordpress.com/dates/

Bev Whelan is very good. I'm not sure how far you have to travel, but I believe there used to be a button accordion player who took day trips from the Isle of Man just for the session, which I think is a pretty good reference in itself.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 11:23:36 AM by Barlow »
. . .

Bridget Rowan

• New Starter
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2020, 10:26:15 AM »

Again, all very helpful advice from everybody. Thank you all very much. I got up this morning and got cracking! I'm not exactly a spring chicken, so don't expect to become a brilliant musician at this time of life. It's the sort of thing where you think, "Why didn't I start this 40 years ago?" Thank you again. B

Grumpy

• Grumpy
  • Regular debater
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2020, 11:14:49 AM »

Always remember Bridget age is but a number, if your happy and healthy keep going. Good luck luv from the swamps of Surrey.
Chris D, Surrey, UK
Getting old but still learning. Pokerwork G/D, Saltarelle L'Elfique G/D, Castagnari Lilly G/D and Hohner Liliput Declubed G/D + English concertinas, mandolins, recorders, tin whistles and other items unknown to household managment

Little Eggy

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2020, 11:43:54 AM »

I started nearly 4 years ago aged 65.  Oh how I wish I’d been introduced to the melodeon 60 years ago!  However I have FAR more time to practice now, I know what I like and I have more persistence than I did years ago.  Sessions are a fantastic opportunity to meet like minded people, hear new tunes (a bit like that wonderful Philip Larkin poem about libraries “New eyes each year”) and share the joy of music. Where else can you join with others and play 400 year old tunes? The community of folk musicians - all breathing new life into traditional music. 

Corinto

• Regular debater
  • Spain/Brasil/Belgium
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2020, 12:09:36 PM »

"Why didn't I start this 40 years ago?"

Yes, why? ... work, kids, bills, ...
Carpe diem, C.

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2020, 12:59:34 PM »

It's a fine balance at any session accommodating varying levels of competence and repertoires.  As has been suggested, it is a good idea to pre-arrange some support for a couple of tunes you're happy to tackle.  I'm told I play too loud - a habit from trying to keep a morris band playing in strict tempo!  On occasions I have put this to good use when a tyro has started a tune somewhat nervously, often a little too fast for their own good. 

At other times I have been criticised for starting a tune too fast myself, though I like to play at dance speed, the tune's natural speed.  Turns out that the tune was widely known at that session, but usually played at a pedestrian pace to suit beginners.  I would defend my right to start at my own pace and it can help and encourage those beginners to try to improve.  There are very few tunes though where I find it acceptable to accelerate.  If nothing else, if you're planning a second tune you may well find it unplayable by the time you get to it!

Rob.

P.S. Looking forward to a session tonight, though haven't practiced in weeks!  Could be sitting quite a few out...

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2020, 12:23:28 PM »

Just to pick up on acceleration. Is there a classical “italian” music term for such. Don’t think I’ve heard one

(though having driven in Italy, there “ought” to be one) 😉

Ahah  Wiki has

Accelerando   accelerating
Affrettando   becoming hurried Accelerating
Allargando     Slowing down, broadening, more stately and majestic, possibly louder
Ritardando   slowing down Decelerating
Rallentando   becoming progressively slower Decelerating

No term for “road hog” though 😉
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 12:30:17 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2020, 12:29:07 PM »

Just to pick up on acceleration. Is there a classical “italian” music term for such. Don’t think I’ve heard one

(though having driven in Italy, there “ought” to be one) 😉

Accelerando

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2020, 04:45:58 PM »

Definitions of Italian musical terms (see attached).
 >:E
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Grumpy

• Grumpy
  • Regular debater
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2020, 05:30:31 PM »

In reply to Chris Ryall there is a correct term for Italian Roadhog, its Italian Motorist.
Chris D, Surrey, UK
Getting old but still learning. Pokerwork G/D, Saltarelle L'Elfique G/D, Castagnari Lilly G/D and Hohner Liliput Declubed G/D + English concertinas, mandolins, recorders, tin whistles and other items unknown to household managment

MikeK

• Respected Sage
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2020, 06:49:34 PM »

[/quote]

There is a slow session in Lancaster:

https://lancasterslowsession.wordpress.com/dates/

Bev Whelan is very good. I'm not sure how far you have to travel, but I believe there used to be a button accordion player who took day trips from the Isle of Man just for the session, which I think is a pretty good reference in itself.
[/quote]

I attended the above slow session this afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was made very welcome and the pace is set according to the players' ability.
Bev was very patient and the whole session is based on having fun. No pressure whatsoever. One of my big problems is when its getting near to my turn to play.
I really get nervous and if playing a  tune at a quicker pace, my fingers have a mind of their own. At today's session, no problems with nerves, although it
was my first time.
I always respect my elders but they are getting fewer in numbers.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2020, 11:42:35 PM »

I attended the above slow session this afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was made very welcome and the pace is set according to the players' ability.
Bev was very patient and the whole session is based on having fun. No pressure whatsoever. One of my big problems is when its getting near to my turn to play.
I really get nervous and if playing a  tune at a quicker pace, my fingers have a mind of their own. At today's session, no problems with nerves, although it
was my first time.
That is such a nice description of the session - exactly how it ought to be. I'm glad you felt welcome and at ease, and enjoyed yourself. (:)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2020, 09:15:12 AM »

Definitions of Italian musical terms (see attached).
 >:E

I'm very glad I opened this very informative document. Made my day start proper.

i would add a relevant term:

Accelerato: To retail a rodent.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2020, 09:36:15 AM »

In reply to Chris Ryall there is a correct term for Italian Roadhog, its Italian Motorist.

1st trip was to Recanati to collect my Mori in 1991. I remember a car 1m from my tail, flashing as I overtook 3-4 lorries at above legal speed

Then at traffic lights, double lanes I was 1st in lane 1 another car to my left.  Car drove in between us in order to burn us off as lights went green. Truly scary

But the trips main downer was Sandro explaining that my fisharmonica wasn’t finished. “Reeds not arrive” [shrug] 😳
  _       _    _      _ 

Nick Ray

• Good talker
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2020, 03:40:25 PM »

Alternatively if you're  a Facebooker you could join the BITS (beginner intermediate tune sessions) group to ask about something local.
I couldn't find anything on Facebook for 'BITS' Helena? ???

Graham Wood

• Regular debater
  • Old Fumble Fingers
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2020, 06:03:26 PM »

Alternatively if you're  a Facebooker you could join the BITS (beginner intermediate tune sessions) group to ask about something local.
I couldn't find anything on Facebook for 'BITS' Helena? ???

Yer tiz.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/502906953217878/

Graham Wood - Third Planet from The Sun
Hohner Morgane B/C,   Junior Martin 1 Row in 'D' with knobs on top,   Acadian 1 Row in 'C' with more knobs on top.

george garside

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2020, 11:39:43 PM »

Tuneworks, a group that organise sessions at folk festivals (eg Shrewsbury folk festival)and some local sessions publish some very useful session tune books.  These are available to download free of charge.  Google tuneworks for more info

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Lin Leighton

• Regular debater
  • Castagnari Tommy/ Dino Baffetti BP
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2020, 05:03:33 PM »

my advice would be to go to only 1 session for a while, as different sessions (even 5 minutes away!!) will have different tunes, and you would get swamped and addled  ;D
Lin(Rattlejag Morris)

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2020, 05:18:00 PM »

"swamped and addled"

Par for the course, surely?
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal