Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recognizing if a song can be played in a certain melodeon  (Read 859 times)

Daniel meza

• New Starter
Recognizing if a song can be played in a certain melodeon
« on: February 17, 2020, 10:23:55 AM »

Hi everyone!

I'm new in the forum, and have a (maybe) very dumb question: I have a 2 row melodeon CG (in not so good condition) and also a BbEb (in very good shape)

I basically wanted to know how to recognize from a music sheet if a song can be played in one of this melodeons.

Basically what I do is check every note and see if that note is not missing in the melodeon, but, is there a fast and easy way of doing this ? (I have no musical theory knowledge)

Thanks !

JohnAndy

• Regular debater
  • John Barber
Re: Recognizing if a song can be played in a certain melodeon
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 11:57:27 AM »

Hi Daniel

Welcome to the forum!

It's not a dumb question at all.

There's a quick way to see from the printed music whether or not you're likely to be able to play the tune on one of your boxes.

At the very beginning of the tune and at the start of each line you'll see the "key signature". This is a number of sharp (#) or flat (♭) symbols on the stave.

If there is just one sharp symbol, or if there are no sharps or flats at all, then it might be worth trying to play the tune on your G/C box.

If there are 2 flat symbols, or 3 flat symbols, then it might be worth trying to play the tune on your B♭/E♭ box.

This isn't a 100% method! There will be many tunes you could play that don't have the number of flats/sharps that I've mentioned above. And there'll be tunes that do have the right number of flats/sharps in the key signature, but you'll still find they have notes that might be missing on your box.

But you might find this helpful as a rough guide.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 12:31:53 PM »

Hi everyone!

I basically wanted to know how to recognize from a music sheet if a song can be played in one of this melodeons.

Thanks !

Hello Daniel welcome.

If you have no musical theory at all, it will be helpful to get some. There is loads of stuff available on line and you will need some if you want to learn tunes from musical scores. The things you need are common in most instrument tutor's.

In direct answer to your question, in a score the key a it is in is shown by sharp (#) and flat(b) signs at the beginning of each bar.

At it's simplest:

Your box is in GC,
You have' a G major row on the outside. The key of G has one # symbol shown at the start of the bar. All tunes with one sharp can be played based on the outside row

You have a C major row on the inside. C major has no sharps or flats. If there are none in the key signature it can be played based on the inside row.

The other box is in Bb (two flats b b)  and Eb (three flats bbb). A similar principle applies.

If you learn some theory you will find that it's very easy to change  a score so that it matches the notes you have.
You will have some accidental notes. They let you play notes not in the main keys.

On the other hand, you don't have to have musical theory to play music. You may find it easier to just try to play tunes that you know by ear, starting with very simple ones.

Either way, you really need a teacher, though. It will make all the difference to how quickly you develop skills and how much you enjoy doing it.

[edit:cross posted with JohnAndy but, heigh ho]
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 12:35:02 PM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 02:47:17 PM »

We could also mention that a GC box can also play in A minor on (mostly ) the outer row,  which has the same key signature as C (no sharps or flats).
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 05:06:06 PM »

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 06:44:46 PM »

I'll second the recommendations for finding an able tutor with whom you can work

Have fun, good luck.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 09:18:26 PM by Dick Rees »
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal