Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Coronavirus- How exactly do you sanitise a melodeon?  (Read 4008 times)

Peadar

New Coronavirus- How exactly do you sanitise a melodeon?
« on: March 04, 2020, 11:10:37 PM »

We can all understand Corona virus as a complication of MAD, but Coronavirus is a bit more serious.

How do we best prevent melodeons from becoming vectors for coronavioras?

Should those of us with lots of boxes just  keep one out and put the rest of them away for the time being?

Any better ideas among the forum's medically qualified members?
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

David Summers

• Regular debater
Re: New Coronavirus- How exactly do you sanitise a melodeon?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 11:20:21 PM »

Well I'm not a medic but sars-cov-2 I think needs water to survive, because now it is transmitted. So if you melodies is dry then the virus is dead.

When at work tomorrow I'll as my PHE microbiologist contacts - they'll know the answer.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 11:44:29 PM »

Well I'm not a medic but sars-cov-2 I think needs water to survive, because now it is transmitted. So if you melodies is dry then the virus is dead.

When at work tomorrow I'll as my PHE microbiologist contacts - they'll know the answer.
All of my melodies are dry as dust. Only the good die young.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Graham Wood

• Regular debater
  • Old Fumble Fingers
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 11:48:42 PM »

If you own a Hohner Corona then I would quarantine it.   Flippancy aside, most disease vectors are organic and Covid 19 does not survive for long outside of the human body. I really wouldn't worry too much about it. Your box would need to be in direct contact with a person who is positive for Covid 19, and even then the virus would only survive for a very short time in the box.
Graham Wood - Third Planet from The Sun
Hohner Morgane B/C,   Junior Martin 1 Row in 'D' with knobs on top,   Acadian 1 Row in 'C' with more knobs on top.

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 11:53:23 PM »

Since they are now making them why would the Chinese disperse a virus aimed at most Hohners with their reputation for wetness ? I can see our fettlers on 24hour shifts removing the wetness,  :Ph and charging a premium as the buckets of wet they drain out will be classed as hazardous waste  >:E

Big opportunity for Winstons living near rivers, accessible at night, for a bit of fly-tuning  ;)
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 11:55:04 PM »

So those of us with Hohner tremolo are in trouble, eh?

In all seriousness, I read that similar viruses can survive on surfaces for several days.

I suspect washing one's hands is going to be the most practical protection available to us.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Peadar

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2020, 12:06:16 AM »

To be honest the last I heard, the Covid -19 virus appears to be coated in fat molecues which enable it to stick to surfaces e.g stairway handrails and it may survive viable for 48 hours (but we don't really know how long for). Carried in cough/sneeze droplets....if someone infectious with Covid-19 sneezes over their treble end and someone else then plays the box, they could become infected from the box.

Hand wash with soap and warm water is expected to be an effective cointainment method because soapy water dissolves the fatty layer of the virus....
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2020, 01:59:07 AM »

Bonfire should do the trick ;)

Or this is good time for a white lie , like you haven’t been well and it may be best that others don’t play your boxes. Coughing...
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Scotty Gring

• Try putting a piano in a gig bag.
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2020, 02:41:08 AM »

One should only be fearful of piano accordions.  Sanitization by burning is recommended.
Proving each day that, just like golf, merely possessing the equipment
in no way guarantees you have any idea what the hell you're doing.      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hohner 1040C, 2815G/C (pre-Pokerwork), Hohner A/D 21/12 Italienne. Titano Titan Piano Accordion (with apologies).

Scotty Gring

• Try putting a piano in a gig bag.
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2020, 02:43:02 AM »

I've also tried to refrain from licking the treble buttons.
Proving each day that, just like golf, merely possessing the equipment
in no way guarantees you have any idea what the hell you're doing.      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hohner 1040C, 2815G/C (pre-Pokerwork), Hohner A/D 21/12 Italienne. Titano Titan Piano Accordion (with apologies).

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2020, 06:06:01 AM »

...Coughing...
Don't cough - you'll spread the virus...🤧
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 06:11:13 AM by Roger Hare »
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2020, 06:59:11 AM »

It's not so much the melodeon as the player ! Do wonder whether playing melodeons in sessions in any enclosed space could aid spread of germs through air circulation. But the same would apply to any blown instrument I suppose.  Perhaps open air sessions are the answer ?
Meanwhile, there is some worry about possible transmission in ceilidhs, due to poor hand hygiene and close contact. Bourrees have definite advantages - many Breton dances definitely problematic. But we shouldn't panic...yet.
Stay well everyone.

Julian
Old Bones Dance Band

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2020, 11:47:20 AM »

Corona viruses steal their fatty membrane from the cell they grew in, but make their 'knobs' in the corona themselves.  The knobs help it merge with the membrane of the next cell.  The single strand RNA inside is fragile, and they don't take well to drying out, or to soap/ detergent!!  Those make the fatty membrane soluble or dispersable in water.

The recommended disinfectants are either dilute bleach (any type) or 70% alcohol (meths, EtOH or isopropyl). 

Seems that houshold kitchen sprays that 'kill 99% of germs'  also work and  might also be easier for eg misting bellows.  I suspect that any virus that goes inside a melodeon … might never get out again.  I also suspect that no one has ever checked that experimentally!

It's a fairly fragile virus - think stable soap bubble. But some strains have lasted over a week on hard surfaces 20ºC in moderate humidity.   Other viruses eg Foot & Mouth have tough protein coats -  F&M can travel and infect 3km on the breeze! 

Bourrée is defo safer than Waltz! For non French dancers you are not allowed to touch partner in a bourrée.  You "almost touch" every time you cross … therein the fun (and scope for passing on alternative infections later!  >:E ).  I'd offer that most Morris dancing is also fairly safe  ;)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 11:53:09 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2020, 01:18:45 PM »

Current banter on a personal facebook page (involve a few melnetters) has included the following comment :-
"There is a risk of cross infection, with some reports suggesting the virus may persist for several days on hard surfaces. So the safest approach is to rotationally play one melodeon each day and then self isolate each instrument for at least 10 days before going back to it. This is just the type of crisis that those of us with MAD syndrome have been foreseeing and taking precautions for."
This looks like a good excuse to stockpile even more melodeons unless you're already extremely MAD.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2020, 01:56:27 PM »

Better buy another one quickly, as I've only got 9 playable boxes at the moment (No thanks Pete)

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

melodeon

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2020, 03:20:00 AM »

Sheep dip for 30 minutes. Hang to dry 3 days, then burn the remains.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2020, 09:03:25 AM »

That will get rid of any annoying ticks, as well.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2020, 11:09:23 AM »

Wrap the box up in 30 rolls of toilet paper >:E
 And then go into self-insulation
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 11:11:05 AM by Nick Collis Bird »
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2020, 12:51:01 PM »

Seems I misread the advice, have been practicing self oscillation, nearly got it right then became dizzy and fell off the swing.................
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2020, 01:40:55 PM »

Wrap the box up in 30 rolls of toilet paper >:E
 And then go into self-insulation

If the UK situation is anything like the panic buying in Australia, I don't know where you reckon you're going to buy 30 rolls of toilet paper, Nick.

Luckily, I have a huge collection of sheet music which should keep me going for a while.... >:E
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal