Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Now here's a thing - keeping your box dry  (Read 1554 times)

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
Now here's a thing - keeping your box dry
« on: March 06, 2020, 01:34:18 PM »

Just thought I'd share this as it might be of benefit to others.  Melodeon gig bags are all very well but even the sturdiest of models leave me worrying about saturation or leakage when carrying a box in heavy rain.  It turns out rucksack covers are the very thing (like these).

The small size fits very nicely across the standard size melodeon bag and keeps the wet out nicely. No more drying out a wet gig bag or stuffing a plastic bag over the box for extra protection.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Re: Now here's a thing - keeping your box dry
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 02:16:52 PM »

Well said, totally agree!
Bought one and keep it with me when out at festivals.

Also have sprayed my ruckies with a water repellant spray, just to stop the bag getting damp when not raining hard enough for a cover but just spitting. Anything to keep it out!

Whatever the weather, I always take my box out of the bag immediately I get home to make sure the box stays dry and also to allow the ruckie to dry inside and out.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

RobLowe

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 02:21:13 PM »

That's a great idea, I'll definitely borrow it.  Thanks.

I have one these rucsac drybags to put the gigbag in (it can hold two melodeons at a push, but gets a bit weighty - sometimes I use a trolley with it)

http://www.highlander-outdoor.co.uk/shop/outdoor/rucksacks-daysacks-holdalls/dry-bags/pvc/troon-tri-laminate-duffle-drybag-red

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 02:35:22 PM »

Whatever the weather, I always take my box out of the bag immediately I get home to make sure the box stays dry and also to allow the ruckie to dry inside and out.
Q

I did not do this on one quite memorable occasion. It was Saddleworth Rushcart and the liquid sunshine was in full flow.  On the last leg of the 'cart run I sheltered my Lilly under and old plastic bag while I got thoroughly soaked. I put the box back in the bag and left it there. On unpacking it at Towersey some days later two levers were swollen and the corresponding notes sounding on every movement of the bellows. It was the only box I had at the festival. I spread the box out on back shelf of the camper and by the next morning all was well - but it was quite worrying for a while there.  Note to self: it is not  a waterlilly.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 03:05:31 PM »

Those silica gel sachets that one gets in all sorts of things, should always be put in your gig bag. Helps absorb any dampness.

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

richard.fleming

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 03:29:50 PM »

Those silica gel sachets that one gets in all sorts of things, should always be put in your gig bag. Helps absorb any dampness.

SJ

But you need to dry them out in the Rayburn or similar after use so they work next time too.
Old Paolo Sopranis in C#/D and D/D#

Peadar

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 11:22:46 PM »

Just thought I'd share this as it might be of benefit to others.  Melodeon gig bags are all very well but even the sturdiest of models leave me worrying about saturation or leakage when carrying a box in heavy rain.  It turns out rucksack covers are the very thing (like these).

The small size fits very nicely across the standard size melodeon bag and keeps the wet out nicely. No more drying out a wet gig bag or stuffing a plastic bag over the box for extra protection.

Worth thinking about even if you use a hard case (which has the advantage of protecting the box from the sundry snow shovels , bags of animal feed , rucksacks and safety boots that also travel in the back of the estate/brake.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 08:40:39 AM »

A hard case is the best protection, but carrying a box around at a festival, I find a back pack far easier on the arms.
At festivals I am walking around a lot, so it makes sense to me to hump it on my back.
If it's a local session,when I walk outside to the car and then walk from the car to the pub then a case is fine though I confess my car doesn't need to carry such various sundries!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 11:13:45 AM »

I pretty much never use a hard case to carry a box around - I have a range of rucksacks and gig bags most complete with added protection in the form of sundry bits of sheet music, morris leaflets and festival programmes. The hard cases just sit under the bed gathering dust and taking up a bit more room than I'd like.

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2020, 01:52:22 PM »

Oh, I think that we all know that hard cases make bad laws.😉
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2020, 02:27:01 AM »

The hard cases just sit under the bed gathering dust and taking up a bit more room than I'd like.
That sounds terrifying. If the hard cases are under your bed, what did you do with the easy ones? Have you seen Misery? I can't forget the hammer to the ankles.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2020, 06:13:23 AM »

I think I know something about wet boxes, especially in Sidmouth when Tubby Reynolds was around.  :o
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2020, 07:45:10 AM »

Being too tight to pay the postage, I got the bus into town and bought one of these. They are tiny when rolled up and quite easy to find room for.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Dennis Steckley

• Good talker
  • Club System!
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2020, 06:20:49 AM »

Too bad you're on the opposite side of the pond from me.  I'd buy a hard case from you!

[quote author=Helena Handcart link
I pretty much never use a hard case to carry a box around - The hard cases just sit under the bed gathering dust and taking up a bit more room than I'd like.
[/quote]
Hohner Victoria Club ii, Hohner Club III M, Hohner Liliput, Hohner Preciosa, Hohner Piccoletta, Hohner Overture LMMM (and three PA's, including one that is the same size as a Preciosa)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal