Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternative Straps  (Read 890 times)

Graham Wood

• Regular debater
  • Old Fumble Fingers
Alternative Straps
« on: March 09, 2020, 11:24:34 PM »

My new box has very small 'D' rings. Normal leather straps won't fit if you want to use two. So I decided to use camera straps which I got from here:- https://www.wexphotovideo.com/optech-e-z-comfort-strap-black-1007812/

They actually work very well being totally non slip and quite strong. The bonus is that they have no metallic parts so you don't need buckle protectors. I reckon they are a good alternative to normal leather straps.

Graham Wood - Third Planet from The Sun
Hohner Morgane B/C,   Junior Martin 1 Row in 'D' with knobs on top,   Acadian 1 Row in 'C' with more knobs on top.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: Alternative Straps
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 08:41:56 AM »

They actually work very well being totally non slip and quite strong. The bonus is that they have no metallic parts so you don't need buckle protectors. I reckon they are a good alternative to normal leather straps.
They are good. I've seen people using similar straps. However, you still need to be careful about the plastic fittings. The plastic is quite hard and can still dent the wood of the instrument, usually when storing or carrying it around in a case or gig bag. My preference would still be to use buckle protectors or similar soft wrap around the plastic adjusters.

The worst sort of plastic attachment I've come across are those swivel hooks with a carabiner-type clasp. Like these. The plastic is very rigid and has a tendency to jamb against the wood of the instrument, resulting in dents and bruises around the metal strap bracket.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 09:14:50 AM »

Been using them for a few years now, and find them to be perfectly adequate. I wouldn't however trust them on a box heavier than a standard Hohner 2 row. They're pretty cheap, and more comfortable than the regulation half inch wide leather, single strap.

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 05:58:24 AM »

I got one of these for the same reason, it's fabric not neoprene so has no stretch in it at all, it's strong and it works very well. Cheap as chips too!
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 09:41:49 AM »

I have in stock straps with webbing rather than leather with good shoulder padding.
They will be on web site shortly.
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal