Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: changing line length  (Read 2992 times)

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
Re: changing line length
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2020, 11:27:00 AM »

If you ever want an answer you don't understand, many of the programs involved are open source, meaning that it is both a) possible to figure out why they don't do the thing you want and b) at least in theory, possible to change them. However, they're quite old and a bit impenetrable, so, the best I've been able to do is figure out vaguely how something probably works. So, feel free to chuck any mysteries my way and we can maybe get some idea of the reasons behind it.

Plus, whatever abcm2ps.exe your ABC editor has is probably super out of date compared with the one packed into your ABC editor of choice:

My ABCExplorer has
abcm2ps-5.9.25 (November 2, 2011)

My EasyABC has
abcm2ps-8.13.14 (2017-08-05)

And current result bug fixing development puts the current version at v8.14.7 from February this year, but, I don't have a suitable build environment for C or C++ right now to build an updated version to see if would even be compatible.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2020, 12:31:45 AM »

Bear in mind that abcm2ps has been conceptually superseded by abc2svg, which has several features not in abcm2ps

And vice versa, further confused by the fact that abcm2ps can be made to produce SVG output.

My ABCExplorer has

My EasyABC has
abcm2ps-8.13.14 (2017-08-05)

And current result bug fixing development puts the current version at v8.14.7 from February this year

My Debian Linux 10 system has 8.14.2 (2018-12-18), which is quite new for a Debian package. (Debian 10 was released in July 2019)
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2020, 05:00:17 AM »

...My ABCExplorer has

My EasyABC has
abcm2ps-8.13.14 (2017-08-05)...
Moi aussi! All the executables in my EasyABC (1.3.7.7) 'bin' directory are of a similar (recent) vintage.

Does this mean that if I replace the copies of abcm2ps, etc. in my ABCExplorer 'tools' directory with
copies of the abcm2ps, etc. in my EasyABC 'bin' directory, I will magically get an 'updated' version of
ABCExplorer - at least as far as the underlying tools are concerned?

Or is it not as simple as that, and am I just being a very silly boy?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 05:06:01 AM by Roger Hare »
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2020, 10:15:44 AM »

You can do that and it will work just fine. Alternatively you can go into the options section of Explorer and point the 'Tools' locations to the Easy ABC directory where the newer tools are.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2020, 11:06:20 AM »

You can do that and it will work just fine. Alternatively you can go into the options section of
Explorer and point the 'Tools' locations to the Easy ABC directory where the newer tools are.
Who says we don't learn something every day? Thank you sir - I'll give that a go...
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal