Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flat v. stepped keybords.  (Read 3409 times)

MikeK

• Respected Sage
Re: Flat v. stepped keybords.
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2020, 01:31:20 PM »

......and whether to have the bottom strap on the  bellows open or not ???
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 01:33:03 PM by havaLaff »
I always respect my elders but they are getting fewer in numbers.

alexalexander

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2020, 05:39:24 PM »

Where does the idea of a stepped keyboard come from?  I read somewhere ages ago that it was from the continental chromatic design where players also use the thumb and this isn't easy on the inside rows on a flat keyboard.  Is that right?
D/G Club with Stradella bass (Mengascini), D/G Club with Stradella bass (Castagnari), Hohner Club IIIM D/G, Hohner 2-row D/G pokerwork, Hohner 1-row C, Hohner Club Bb/Eb,  anglo concertina.

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2020, 05:43:57 PM »

Might have to do with ease of setting up the pivot points of the inside vs outside rows.
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Peadar

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2020, 09:30:20 PM »

Where does the idea of a stepped keyboard come from?  I read somewhere ages ago that it was from the continental chromatic design where players also use the thumb and this isn't easy on the inside rows on a flat keyboard.  Is that right?
It would be as well to ask where does the idea of the flat 2 row keyboard come from. /in her doctoral thesis on the integration of the accordeon into Traditonal Irish music Maire NiChaoimh mentioned that 2 row accordeons were available in Dublin by 1843 - but what type they were (they could have been flutinas for all I know) I have no idea.

I suspect that the open keyboard might have preceded the closed keyboard - certainly in the 1920's Hohner English Language catalogues included open and closed keyboard models of what were otherwise identical instruments. 
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2020, 01:04:33 PM »

I have owned both flat and stepped CBAs.  My first was flat, a Hohner, others since stepped.  I was apprehensive about the change.  It was almost entirely without event.  I have both flat and stepped melodeon keyboards.  With my burgeoning CBA practise I find my thumb occasionally creeping up on to the melodeon keyboard.  The flat or stepped nature appears to be of little influence.
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

mselic

« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2020, 01:17:43 PM »

I may be erroneously associating stepped keyboards with the mushroom-type of treble button. I just played a vintage Hohner the other day that had cylindrical buttons and a stepped keyboard and I couldn’t notice any difference in playing.
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

richard.fleming

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2020, 02:20:49 PM »

Is it easier to make a box with a flat keyboard if you use metal levers which can be so much thinner and can be bent individually?
Old Paolo Sopranis in C#/D and D/D#

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2020, 06:35:17 PM »

I may be erroneously associating stepped keyboards with the mushroom-type of treble button. I just played a vintage Hohner the other day that had cylindrical buttons and a stepped keyboard and I couldn’t notice any difference in playing.

did it have a wooden mechanism?
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

mselic

« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2020, 04:29:12 AM »

did it have a wooden mechanism?

No.
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2020, 01:29:41 PM »

I had to look to see whether my  "other" melodeon was stepped or flat!  Don't think it matters much after a few plays. 

Ditto exact fingering (not true of eg flute or clarinette)?  After a few years my brain sort of "knew" that a certain button had the note I wanted and it became a matter of which finger I could physically get to it.

Breaking my right index finger (fiddling with a lawn mower) … also "freed things up" in this respect!  :-\
  _       _    _      _ 

Peadar

« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2020, 11:34:30 PM »

Is it easier to make a box with a flat keyboard if you use metal levers which can be so much thinner and can be bent individually?

I don't think that's it Richard. The old International semitone baxes have flat keyboards and wooden actions.  Even with a wooden action the pallet arm is metal.
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

-Y-

• Handry 18 (G/C), Mélodie (D), Club IIb (A/D)
    • a database of 400 or more melodeons here
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2020, 01:32:09 PM »

I remember when I moved from a flat keyboard Saltarelle to a stepped keyboard Castagnari that I found I was more "precise", I didn't do as much "unwanted" notes (when your finger inadvertently presses one key in addition to the one you actually wanted to do) as I did with the flat keyboard, as the other rows are not at the same height.
I find, and it's really a matter of taste, that buttons on flat keyboards tend to have a smaller stroke than on stepped keyboards, which is more to my liking. That also explains that I would go for a flat keyboard if I had to buy a new accordion. And, IMHO, it may be the source to the tell tale that flat keyboards are better for speed.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal