Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Straps....yes I know.  (Read 3356 times)

mudchutney

• Mudchutney
Re: Straps....yes I know.
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2020, 01:42:26 PM »

Apologies in advance but....
As a CBA and ex PA player I've never understood why anyone would want to buy a box with two straps and then only use one, but wedge the box uncomfortably against a leg, often requiring the need for a box to put a foot on.  Why not just use the two straps it was sold with?  Sorry if I'm misunderstanding something here, but is there a benefit to only using one strap, or is it just "the done thing"?
Player of a Saltarelle Bourroche 5 row CBA
Purveyor of folky themed clothing at www.mudchutney.co.uk

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2020, 02:53:57 PM »

As a CBA and ex PA player I've never understood why anyone would want to buy a box with two straps and then only use one, but wedge the box uncomfortably against a leg, often requiring the need for a box to put a foot on.  Why not just use the two straps it was sold with?  Sorry if I'm misunderstanding something here, but is there a benefit to only using one strap, or is it just "the done thing"?

I have mostly only ever played with a single strap as I find two straps to confining. Admittedly when I started in the early 70s most everyone only used a single strap so that was 'the done thing' then but I've tried two straps and just don't get on with it. Never used a box or had to wedge the box against my leg though.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2020, 04:55:35 PM »

As has been said a gazzillion times on here and elsewhere, it's a personal thing whether to use no straps, one strap, two straps, or any other combination of suspension. What works for one person may not work for you. Everyone's body shape and size is different.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2020, 09:08:17 PM »

Two straps work best for me stood up. One strap works fine for me sat down.
I have 3 boxes with 2 straps. The one row has one strap. That's how I got it and, so far I only play it sat down. Works for me.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2020, 11:37:50 PM »

Can I call you Mud, for short? I think the thing is that from where you are coming from the melodeon is a halfway house to a concertina. I started the melodeon from the PA line too, and you do wear a PA, but the whole melodeon thing is more organic. The bellows are there to change pitches and to add bounce and people approach that concept with a different touch. I normally play standing up, but some of the players I most admire do the wedge thing with a leg, normally with a bigger box than I play, which helps them blend the small box mentality with the big box problems. I'm a two strapper all the way to the end of the pier, but when I picked up a one-row and had to ditch the cross-rowing options, one strap made sense.
I play table tennis competitively (at least I did until the outbreak). Some people love penholder grip, which makes no sense - unless you ditch the backhand, some favour a forehand dominant grip which allows for great touch, but limits the backhand to blocking or flat hitting. I have a neutral grip, which favours my backhand, but makes it hard to feel the ball on the forehand. It is hard to give up the benefits of one style even when you can see the benefits of the other. I'm not able to move well enough to play the right forehand shot, so I try to tee up my backhand. Horses for courses.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

george garside

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2020, 12:05:11 AM »

using 2 straps on melodeon does not in anyway detract from its organic ness, whatever that means in musical terms.  I would indeed argue that using 2 straps facilitates varying bellows pressure to control dynamics and also facilitates gently pulsing an overlying rhythm.  The left hand/arm has the sole function of fine precise bellows control  and is not in any way responsible for locating the box on the players anatomy.

The 10 button one row is  somehow different and its efficacy comes from its simplicity - less is more- and all that!  My preferred way of locating a one row is to primarily rely on  a carefully adjusted ( length of)thumb strap    so that right thumb isresting on edge of rather then behind the keybord together with  a treble end shoulder straok p as a non essential extra so to speak. 
this will also for occasional playing standing but 2 straps would be better is standing is the norm.

but of course each to their own

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

gettabettabox

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2020, 02:24:39 AM »

In these difficult times, this kind of thread is gently reassuring...  ;)

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2020, 12:09:06 PM »

As a CBA and ex PA player I've never understood why anyone would want to buy a box with two straps and then only use one,"?
Everyone's body shape and size is different.

Mine certainly is...
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2020, 12:12:29 PM »

There is another variable in all this - seat height.
I normally use a stool but I'm currently using a slightly lower chair with a lower seat height.
I am finding that though I don't need to, I am crossing my legs and nestling the box in the crook of my knee.
I have no idea why but it feels comfortable!

I have noticed when playing in pub sessions, you obviously have to sit wherever you can on whichever chair is available. If lower than my normal perch, I sometimes find the left hand bass strap slips off my shoulder.
Seat height can affect how your straps sit on you.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

gettabettabox

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2020, 01:27:56 AM »

you can always supplement the strap with the chin hold?  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GaHHPtAwnQ

mudchutney

• Mudchutney
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2020, 01:05:56 PM »

Now that makes sense!  I also play competitive table tennis so now understand far more (where do did you play?)

I know this isn't the place for it, but my dad plays English concertina and the only way I could ever play one of those was to use wrist straps, otherwise it just made my pinkies hurt.  Another CBA / PA variation I guess is the backstrap thing too.  I only ever need one of those if I'm wearing a more "shiny" top which makes the straps fall off, at which point I have to adopt the "chin hold" that gettabettabox mentions.

Can I call you Mud, for short? I think the thing is that from where you are coming from the melodeon is a halfway house to a concertina. I started the melodeon from the PA line too, and you do wear a PA, but the whole melodeon thing is more organic. The bellows are there to change pitches and to add bounce and people approach that concept with a different touch. I normally play standing up, but some of the players I most admire do the wedge thing with a leg, normally with a bigger box than I play, which helps them blend the small box mentality with the big box problems. I'm a two strapper all the way to the end of the pier, but when I picked up a one-row and had to ditch the cross-rowing options, one strap made sense.
I play table tennis competitively (at least I did until the outbreak). Some people love penholder grip, which makes no sense - unless you ditch the backhand, some favour a forehand dominant grip which allows for great touch, but limits the backhand to blocking or flat hitting. I have a neutral grip, which favours my backhand, but makes it hard to feel the ball on the forehand. It is hard to give up the benefits of one style even when you can see the benefits of the other. I'm not able to move well enough to play the right forehand shot, so I try to tee up my backhand. Horses for courses.
Player of a Saltarelle Bourroche 5 row CBA
Purveyor of folky themed clothing at www.mudchutney.co.uk

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2020, 07:46:45 PM »

Now that makes sense!  I also play competitive table tennis so now understand far more (where do did you play?)
Northumbria League. We were facing relegation from Division 2.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Alan Pittwood

• Regular debater
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2020, 03:23:50 PM »

Here, Irma di Benedetto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tai8QmSzho0 

demonstrates the art of playing l'Organetto Abruzzese, while standing, with one slack shoulder strap and a thumb strap.

. . . the 'secret' seems to be in that clamp that holds the organetto very firmly to the top of a microphone stand.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 03:35:55 PM by Alan Pittwood »
Hohner Erica D/G.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal