Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wrist strap and couch ...  (Read 456 times)

Jason

Wrist strap and couch ...
« on: June 13, 2020, 08:30:10 AM »

Hiya ...
Last week I was given a bit of poo poo for trying a strapping technique out of the ordinary and Lester asked me to elaborate. I have only been playing two weeks so this video is not designed to show great playing as I am just learning BUT, my backache did subside after i attached the strap and I also stand by my couch playing which has helped me through many hours of play on other instruments - i think I may have not mentioned that by couch play I mean leaning back, lazy style, into the couch which fully supports the back :  )

https://youtu.be/aBwy6XuzY6w

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
Re: Wrist strap and couch ...
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 08:34:53 AM »

As of 8:34, Video is set to private, meaning only you can view it. You probably want to set it to 'Unlisted'.

Jason

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 08:38:02 AM »

As of 8:34, Video is set to private, meaning only you can view it. You probably want to set it to 'Unlisted'.

Oops
sorted then :  )

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 08:44:58 AM »

That looks fine to me, if it gets you playing it's a good thing.

Peadar

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 10:00:54 AM »

I don't see anything wrong with the wrist strap arrangement.

Personally I wouldn't sit back in the couch like that- but with your apparent leg length the relationship between box and backbone is probably not far off  what others  get to sitting upright with left leg crossed over right.

You do appear be holding the box quite far forward from your body with the casing leaning towards you so you are constantly having to push the box away (a bit  like a pressup movement).

Seeing the Hi-vis jacket in the background prompts me to ask myself what you do in the day job - is it just  that the melodeon is waking up a totally different set of muscles/tendons to the ones that get exercised 4-5 hours a day for 5 days a week?

Hope this helps.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2020, 11:46:59 AM »

Peadar has a good point on his post - what else do you do?
I have two instances where I've had problems:-
One was having limited space at work and the pc tower's fan gently whirring was triggering muscles when I was touching the desk so extreme tiredness felt after playing for a few minutes. Putting the tower on another table resolved this instantly.
The other I'm still going through.
I have recently moved and have a Leylandii hedge to remove. I've done this in stages but wielding a pick axe and digging out roots with a crowbar really causes pain around my elbow joints. This is exacerbated by then sitting down and playing for periods of time.
Thankfully I'm coming to the end of the hedge, and also realised that doing it in stages meant my arms recovered, and also not to play for longer periods again to let my arms recover, which thankfully they are.
At times it's worth taking an overall holistic approach if you are experiencing discomfort,  as the melodeon might be reflecting a problem caused elsewhere.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal