Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Real-time on-line music sessions  (Read 4254 times)

Blake

• Regular debater
Re: Real-time on-line music sessions
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2020, 11:07:42 PM »

When my hockey-crazed mother developed Alzheimers, we have her some peace by playing Detroit Redwing Stanley Cup playoff games on loop on the DVD player.

Are there any good youtube session channels that posted well-recorded sessions that we could play along with?
Castagnari Benny GC#, Mory DG#, Geordy GC, Mignon C
Cajun Custom in C by L'Anse Grise
Hohner Pokerwork GC and DG
Morse Baritone English Concertina, and some busted up Wheatstone trebles I need to work over.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2020, 11:23:28 PM »

My experience with Zoom and GoogleHangouts (if that's what it is still called), is that latency and delay issues make it awful to play in "real time". I am trying to find such a solution and am experimenting with Jamkazam this week. Will report back, soonest.

G

I’ve done sessions with Zoom and real-time playing together doesn’t work for the very reasons Gary mentioned. A lot of other formats have been tried by several different organizers and they have yet to find one that works. Even with an excellent internet connection, there is a delay that is unavoidable. It just doesn’t work. As a result, online sessions are centred around one person playing while everyone else plays along at home with their microphones muted. The result is the person playing will only hear themselves, whereas anyone else playing along will hear themselves and the person leading the tune.

I think JamKazam gets around a lot of issues and is the best working option at the moment. I just haven't been able to get first hand experience. My internet connection is slightly iffy 3G, as well, so I didn't try too hard.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

JohnAndy

• Regular debater
  • John Barber
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2020, 12:24:16 AM »

Are there any good youtube session channels that posted well-recorded sessions that we could play along with?

You could try John Spiers Isolation Pub Sessions on Youtube. You'll find them easily enough if you search using that phrase.

The idea is that he puts up a recording of himself playing a set of tunes. People then record themselves playing along with him, send him the recordings, and he then puts up a composite version with everybody on it - which sounds a bit like a pub session!

Blake

• Regular debater
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2020, 03:43:42 AM »

You could try John Spiers Isolation Pub Sessions on Youtube.
I will check it out!
Castagnari Benny GC#, Mory DG#, Geordy GC, Mignon C
Cajun Custom in C by L'Anse Grise
Hohner Pokerwork GC and DG
Morse Baritone English Concertina, and some busted up Wheatstone trebles I need to work over.

CAB

• Mass Debater
    • Somerset Russets Village Band
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2020, 02:13:24 PM »

Has anyone tried Jamulus?  I'm told it lies somewhere between Zoom and Jamkazam:

A little latency but bearable, much better than Zoom, though apparently it's best if people are only a few miles apart. 

Still best with an ethernet cable but less technically demanding than Jamkazam.  The article I read put me off a bit but then I'm really not too technically competent and didn't feel confident to handle the security aspects (holes in the firewall!).  I know people who are using it successfully for band practices and swear by it.

So I'm sticking with Zoom for now - a session and a couple of singarounds a week on the everyone-mutes-bar-the-singer/setleader basis.  Got a village band practice in a minute.  Two of us try to play as many of the parts as we can manage on two concertinas or baritone concertina plus melodeon so that the rest can play along.  Quite a work-out.
Pas de lieu Rhône que nous

JohnAndy

• Regular debater
  • John Barber
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2020, 02:01:55 AM »

Has anyone tried Jamulus?

Yes, I tried Jamulus with one of the groups that I play with. We decided that it doesn't work as well as JamKazam - audio quality not so good and more problems with delays in hearing the sound.

So we abandoned Jamulus and we decided to stick with JamKazam, which works pretty well for us and allows us all to play simultaneously with (usually) quite tolerable levels of audio quality and lack of audio delays.

didn't feel confident to handle the security aspects (holes in the firewall!)

You only need to open a port through your firewall if you're going to run a Jamulus server. If you just want to give Jamulus a try then you don't necessarily need to do this. You can run the Jamulus client without doing any firewall changes. You'll then see a list of available servers that have been registered and are up and running. Typically you'll see that many of them are not currently in use. You and the people you want to play with can jump on one of those servers and have a test session to see if Jamulus is for you.

Of course if the owners of the server show up and want to use it, you should gracefully bow out. But I don't think you shouldn't feel any compunction about making use of someone else's server if it's not in use - it is after all their choice to register it, which makes it publicly available - they don't have to do that if they want it to be for their own private use only.

James Fitton

• Regular debater
    • Earthquakers
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2020, 07:30:24 AM »

Just reviving this thread in lockdown 2.0 (in England). After several months of attempting Zoom sessions with my band (in reality a series of strange one-way-mirror duets, although lovely for still keeping in touch with people) we decided to move our technology on a notch, and set ourselves up with the kit to work with Jamulus. We had our first session last night. It was a huge improvement - much better sound quality, barely perceptible latency, no stuttering, and (after the first half hour or so of familiarising ourselves with the controls) the ability to focus on the music rather than the tech. There is a bit of a "faff hurdle" to get over in terms of ensuring you have the right hardware set-up and in downloading Jamulus (which is free open-source) but that's a one-off hurdle. I'm a thoroughly untechy person and managed to set it up. So I can definitely recommend Jamulus.
melodeons, English concertina, PA - ceilidh and dance tune composer

https://soundcloud.com/user-803726952
www.earthquakers.org.uk

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2020, 10:20:30 AM »

There is a bit of a "faff hurdle" to get over in terms of ensuring you have the right hardware set-up and in downloading Jamulus (which is free open-source) but that's a one-off hurdle. I'm a thoroughly untechy person and managed to set it up. So I can definitely recommend Jamulus.

Could you provide a quick summary of the kit you used/needed to get a 'decent' band sound with Jamulus?
Is it reliant on having high quality broadband?

Thanks.
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2020, 10:51:22 AM »

There is a bit of a "faff hurdle" to get over in terms of ensuring you have the right hardware set-up and in downloading Jamulus (which is free open-source) but that's a one-off hurdle. I'm a thoroughly untechy person and managed to set it up. So I can definitely recommend Jamulus.

Could you provide a quick summary of the kit you used/needed to get a 'decent' band sound with Jamulus?

Thanks.

Yes - I'd be interested to know too, please.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2020, 11:14:15 AM »

I have had a number of posts from Jamkazam bragging about their new improved service. Anyone tried it recently?
It was the best I tried, back before we had some socially distanced back garden sessions.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

James Fitton

• Regular debater
    • Earthquakers
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2020, 11:52:33 AM »

I should stress I may quickly reach the limits of my technical knowledge here, so this is simply a description of what I used, not a suggestion that nothing else will:

I have a Scarlett 2i2 Studio set-up from Focusrite. This is a 2-channel audio interface, with condenser microphone. It comes with headphones, but is compatible with other headphones too. The audio interface will take a standard jack-to-jack instrument lead for a direct signal, but we got better results just playing into the condenser microphone, and not bothering with any kind of instrument pick-up. The laptop then has a wired Ethernet connection to the internet, not just wifi, but I use a TP-link signal extender from my router, as it's not somewhere in my house I can easily play. That worked fine. (The Ethernet cable connects to the signal extender.)

That was it really. If anyone has different/better suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them!

www.earthquakers.org.uk

James Fitton

• Regular debater
    • Earthquakers
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2020, 11:54:42 AM »

I have a very basic domestic broadband package, nothing fancy at all.

www.earthquakers.org.uk

CAB

• Mass Debater
    • Somerset Russets Village Band
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2020, 12:24:39 PM »

Chris Timson of concertina.info wrote an article which can be previewed and bought for £1 here:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/setting-using-jamulus
Pas de lieu Rhône que nous

Rick St. John

• Regular debater
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2020, 03:02:08 PM »

I had a look at setting up Jamulus but abandoned it in the end. The software is straightforward but the hardware requirements are rather hefty. Just having to use a wired network connection rather than wifi would scare away most of the group I play with
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal