Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Covid and sessions  (Read 278 times)

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
Covid and sessions
« on: May 30, 2020, 12:07:34 PM »

As we gradually emerge from lockdown, my thoughts turn to the possibility of sessions. I reckon indoor pub sessions are going to be extremely problematic even when pubs reopen, but outdoors might work dependent of course on weather. An open sided marquee would be ideal (and I'm eyeing up the local band stand) but it's hard enough everyone keeping time without being two metres apart ! And should we worry about melodeons spreading germs through air circulation ?

Julian

Old Bones Dance Band, Blists Hill Morris Gang

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Re: Covid and sessions
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 12:58:01 PM »

Hi Julian,
I'm worried too but haven't given it much thought beyond that I feel that our music is under threat.
I then thought about the amount of tunes being put on here and YouTube and thought it at least keeps music alive and being played.

Out doors would be fine I think, but then you are totally reliant on good weather as you said, and access to a venue. If pubs are the last to re-open, the weather might have become Autumnal by then, and I suspect everyone else would prefer being outside too. Not all pubs have a sizeable outside either.
It's not going to be easy.
Currently I cannot conceive of being back inside a pub sat down surrounded by my friends in a session  :'(
Perhaps I'm just being pessimistic.
Q

Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

pbsalt

• Respected Sage
  • Location NE Fife
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 02:28:34 PM »

Just had first welcome "live" music with one of my session regulars  in my garden  but I'm also pessimistic about the return of pub sessions given the restrictions if the distancing rules are kept.

Serious discussion is required about why restrictions should be kept  and whether the lockdown has actually "saved lives " ) given risk of death only significant for the over 65's and the impact it is having on the under 40's. ..... but not here .

I've wondered about the possiblilty of hiring a pub room for a small , local session -  can't imagine the return of the huge folk festival  type sessions though.
Paul
Location NE Fife

GPS

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 03:29:08 PM »

For 7 years I ran a monthly session here in Cyprus; we ran September to June, and the Autumn & Spring sessions were always outdoors. I have to say that the Winter (indoor) sessions were always MUCH better. Regardless of how many or how few players we had, outdoors, even in pre-distancing days, always presented problems hearing one another, what with ambient noise and lack of reflective surfaces. Even sat a couple of feet away from your neighbour you often found yourself out of sync.  Personally I wouldn't do another outdoor session. But then, apparently I won't  be around to worry about it as I'm over 65............

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal