Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Online live sessions  (Read 5059 times)

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
Re: Online live sessions
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2020, 02:53:16 PM »

Two groups local to me are using Zoom for online sessions. Both operate the same way - someone leads a tune, everybody else listens and, with their mics muted, plays along. So you're hearing yourself and one other player. In the larger multi-instrument group - up to 30 players - all tunes are led by the group MD on keyboard. In our smaller (5-6) accordion group, everybody nominates a couple of tune sets before the session, so we can get the playlist lined up in forScore on our iPads before we start. Then each player takes a turn to lead one of their sets and the rest play along with muted mics. So you get to play along with each friend in turn. In between sets everybody switches on to chat - it's great to meetup with musical friends this way.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2020, 03:29:51 PM »

Two groups local to me are using Zoom for online sessions. Both operate the same way - someone leads a tune, everybody else listens and, with their mics muted, plays along. So you're hearing yourself and one other player. In the larger multi-instrument group - up to 30 players - all tunes are led by the group MD on keyboard. In our smaller (5-6) accordion group, everybody nominates a couple of tune sets before the session, so we can get the playlist lined up in forScore on our iPads before we start. Then each player takes a turn to lead one of their sets and the rest play along with muted mics. So you get to play along with each friend in turn. In between sets everybody switches on to chat - it's great to meetup with musical friends this way.

Thanks for explaining the methodology, Bill - it's really clear and helpful!
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2020, 03:53:53 PM »

That's how the Bacca Pipes Folk Club sessions work, and the online version of the Ripponden Old Bridge session.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Graham Collicutt

• Regular debater
Re: Online live sessions using Jamkazam in UK
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2020, 04:04:26 PM »

Met with 2 other concertina players from Norfolk, 100 miles from me, last night. Two anglos and a baritone english, at times it was difficult to tell, who was who, it was that in sync. Well worth the effort of setting it up.

On problem: hot ears. You have to wear earphones, to listen to combined feed from Jamkazam, and not listen to what you are playing live.

David Colpitts

• Regular debater
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2020, 05:00:50 PM »

What Bill said, as far as Zoom goes.  I am about 6 weeks into a group of 8-9 Quebecois players, and it’s a good time, but certainly not “session” in any real sense of the word.  I like to describe it thusly:

“Multiple simultaneous duets” with the leader-swapping for each successive tune/set.  Chatting in between does
keep group feeling, at least somewhat. 

I think I want to try the telephone/iPads route for 2 or 3.  Never thought of that!  I am not gonna’ get super interweb anytime soon.....

This is interesting territory.  Thanks to all.

David

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2020, 08:29:46 PM »

"This is interesting territory."

It serpently is, Stanley!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal